Benjamin New Marauder

I have been wanting a Mrod but already have a full size rifle or two so I had no reason to buy one. Then Don in Va put this nice walnut bullpup kit up for sale.

Well that was all I needed. The stock arrived safe and sound and in beautiful condition. Thank you Don.

Next up, Marauder shopping…Airgun Revisions. If you want a bargain, that is the place to buy a referb. I ordered a 22 Mrod LW barrel for $300. I can not pass that up.

The gun arrived promptly and full of air. I took a few shots and wow, its a very nice gun as delivered. Thank you AR! I also ordered an SSG with the gun, so yes, a perfectly good gun, now take it all apart LOL. I also had to swap out the pic breech for a standard one. And while there backed the restrictor out.

I need to play with the ergo and the tune. I ran one shot over the china devise, CPHP @ 915fps. Very very quiet. I will tweak that down depending what pellet I end up with. I want to run 16 grain and under in this one. Depends what it likes, but if its like my 6 other Walthers, I will have choices.

IMG_3287.jpeg

Yes 22.

I will re blue the scope rail. I am at least the 3rd owner of the stock. Poor thing found good home here.
I have only seen pups here, never in person. I have a good range of adjustment with the hook. And it adds lop.

I read you ordered the 22 barrel wasn't sure if it came as .22, always best to confirm otherwise you'd have to jump through some hoops if it weren't originally one.

If you're looking for reasons to spend money, the aluminum air tube from jsar is a great start that shaves off over a lb. The MDS hammer is another good add-on with the SSG you have. Beyond that I would leave it unregulated for simplicity and enjoy it as it is, but hey that's me.

Oh and a depinger if you plan on staying unregulated, if you go regulated route than it's not needed.

-Matt

Last edited:
Reactions: Dairyboy
Oh I have followed those threads. The LW is factory, I added the SSG. It shoots nice now, minor adjustments depending on the pellets. It will most likely end up shooting FTT or CPHP. All to come in time.

Tomorrow I will need to get the scope set up and zeroed enough to runs some strings….testing takes a long time…Doh! I spent my air compressor money on a gun, again.

Reactions: Stubbers
For unregulated tuning/testing, I usually cheat by testing it at the bottom of the fill (ie: 2000-2100 psi), and adjusting the VMS if needed to get fps where I want the bottom of the bell curve to be, then check the peak at 2450-2550 psi, and then go full fill pressure at 2900-3000 and adjust the hammer spring to match the velocity at your bottom.

-Matt

AGR makes a wonderful custom hybrid air tube, aluminum front and steel aft. The ID precludes a regulator. If you want regulated the JSAR aluminum tube will take a Huma.

The AGR SSG works great just as he sends it. The JSAR SSG with the TSS end cap is a step up but more money and may not be available at this time (out of stock?).

I like a 1.25 inch bottle brush for a depinger in the AGR hybrid tube.

I would either get the Tim Hill short shroud or cut the shroud (and rethread) to reduce the OAL.

Calling dibs on the pic rail breech if you want to sell it ;)!

Last edited:
Reactions: Struckat
I like that the SSG makes adjustments of the HS much more sensitive. the whole range is in but a 1/4 turn or less.

I will set the scope up tonight and do some shooting. No plans to add anything else. As far as ping, seems no more than my AA, non issue for me.

When I start testing I will follow Stubbers process. Find the happy place and pellet and don’t mess with it.

I am going to adjust the trigger linkage. I mounted the link lower than center on the trigger blade making a longer pull. A slight position change will change the feel a lot.

The thought of an aluminum tube is appealing as she is heavy.

I like that the SSG makes adjustments of the HS much more sensitive. the whole range is in but a 1/4 turn or less.

I will set the scope up tonight and do some shooting. No plans to add anything else. As far as ping, seems no more than my AA, non issue for me.

When I start testing I will follow Stubbers process. Find the happy place and pellet and don’t mess with it.

I am going to adjust the trigger linkage. I mounted the link lower than center on the trigger blade making a longer pull. A slight position change will change the feel a lot.

The thought of an aluminum tube is appealing as she is heavy.

That must be one stout spring to cover the entire range over 1/4 of adjustment!

De-pinger will eliminate all ping IME, a must have but if you're not bothered than no biggie, but its a cheap improvement, they come with one stock, just not the greatest.

You won't hear anyone complaining about the aluminum tube upgrade, except the cost I suppose :ROFLMAO:

-Matt

Reactions: Dairyboy
How are you achieving proper eye relief with it positioned as shown in the photo? There’s no way the eye relief is that short on that scope, is there? The scope looks positioned much too far back to get a cheek weld on the receiver, but maybe I’m wrong. Looks good otherwise!
I moved it forward a little. My cheek is just touching the back of the receiver which allows a very vertical head position. It’s going to be really nice shooting off hand.

She came to me with 3,000 on the gauge. With the SSG it took 70 shots to get down to 2,000.

CPHP, washed, are my usual first test pellets. She came on the pipe at about 2,800-2,700 @279 mps, 915 ish, peaked after 25 shots at 286mps 938ish and was back down to 279 on shot 42 @2,000

Although not accuracy testing, this one shoots CPHP better than any other gun I own, and at a speed much faster than I would normally shoot them.

Tomorrow I’ll try some FTTs. So far I am really liking this one.

Also, I have a lot of room to move the scope forward to accommodate my clip on PARD.

Reactions: Basher
Ok Stubbers it pings. Not bad, but I was just shooting my AA500. Not sure how I thought they sounded simila, but the AA make no ping. The balance of the gun is better than my Mpup. Not a fair comparison.

Anyway, the Mrod is set with FTT 14.66 @ 880-900 for 40 or so shots. I will add a depinger to my next spending spree.
I need to shoot it more and get out in the field.

Reactions: Stubbers
Ok Stubbers it pings. Not bad, but I was just shooting my AA500. Not sure how I thought they sounded simila, but the AA make no ping. The balance of the gun is better than my Mpup. Not a fair comparison.

Anyway, the Mrod is set with FTT 14.66 @ 880-900 for 40 or so shots. I will add a depinger to my next spending spree.
I need to shoot it more and get out in the field.

Yea, in my experience the stock depinger is not up to the task. I am unsure who if anyone makes good ones now and don't know about custom ones as I run an old one from w.a.r that was a 3d print.

Your tune /performance is stellar. My .22 Crosman barrel doesn't much like the CPHP's, it'll group em, but it won't stack them in one hole like some jsb / jts / h&n variety's.

-Matt

The goal was a shorter gun than my AA, that fit between my 18fpe and 35 fpe guns.
This one will do just fine in that task.

i will likely get the Hill depinger.

I really like the AR SSG. A self contained hammer and spring assembly that also comes with a new adjustment plug. The stock adjuster is also sort of spring guide and won’t work with the new parts.

The new adjuster has a cup that contacts the spring and screw assembly in the hammer when cocked. The instructions say to tighten the adjuster down till the hammer just makes contact and a little air is released. Then back it out 1/8 of a turn. This provides a small amount of free play for the hammer when the gun is not cocked. The 1/8 setting proved hot for the pellets I want to shoot, so I began backing off the HS and noting the change.

The result is starting tunes for 13,43 Falcons, CPHP, 14.66 FTT and AA 16gr, all in the the 880-900 range. All from the initial 1/8 turn from seated to just over an additional 1/2 turn out. Sweet.

The current configuration cannot get 18s up there, but i have different gun for that.

The bolt is stiffer than out of the box but not bad, especially backed off for the Falcons. The shot cycle is very soft with little noticeable jump. I am very pleeased.

Last edited: