• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

New member here; I shoot a BSA but do not ride one.

Time that I made my intro. Back in my days of youth, a Beezer was a motorcycle, and I did not know that BSA made airguns, and I rode a Honda. Owning British vehicles in those days maybe taught you why the English drink warm beer.......was it because George Lucas might have made their refrigerators? I now ride a Kawasaki KLR 650, since the vast majority of my riding is Montana's unpaved backroads. And the vast majority of my shooting now, both powder burners and airguns, is on wide open public BLM lands. My first quality air rifle was a Benjamin .22 cal, made long before Crosman bought Benjamin. My next quality airgun was a Sheridan Blue Streak .20 cal, made by Benjamin just before the Crosman buyout, when they still came with American walnut stocks, and the Williams peep sight was bought as well when I ordered it from Cabela's. Both rifles ended up killing hundreds of varmints. That Sheridan Blue Streak with the peep sight when shooting JSB pellets will give my Lonestar .25 some competition in accuracy at short ranges.

The BSA Lonestar .25 is now my current main airgun, with the Sheridan Blue Streak filling in my low power duties. Hand pump duties have been well served by FX, and I have not gotten into air bottles and compressors yet, but it may be possible in the future. I mainly go after varmint class critters with the Lonestar .25, but shooting pine cones off of our ubiquitous ponderosa pine trees at various distances comrpises most of my target practice. In Montana, because of the distances I had to learn to shoot at, I learned that my Leica Rangemaster 2400-R is the best shooting accessory I ever bought, and good ballistic reticle scope is next in line. A good pair of boots that holds up to many miles of walking and stays comfortable and high enough to fend off a prairie rattler is also a necessity. I shoot powder burners a lot and am an experienced reloader. Half of my powder burner guns are made by CZ, because they are all well under minute of angle accuracy (with good handloads) with a price tag south of $1000.

I don't see myself buying a lot of airguns. The BSA Lonestar .25 can shoot 3/8" groups at 50 yards with JSB Exact King pellets, and I don't notice many people on this forum getting much better results with anything they are shooting. I am a firm believer in the old saying, "Never get into a shooting contest with a guy that owns just one rifle, because he just might know how to use it". I recently outfitted the Lonestar with a DonnyFL suppressor as the bark was getting a bit annoying in heavy use shooting such as at a PD town.

I am an Ex-Navy veteran, "boomer" submarine service aboard the USS Hunley (AS-31). Left the Navy and graduated from the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, College of Health Related Professions, School of Biomedical Instrumentation Technology. I worked on medical gear in the work/study program at the John McClellan VA Hospital that was just across the street from my dormitory. I managed a biomedical equipment repair shop not far out of Dallas, Texas, for 15 years before retiring.

Anyway, enough about me for now, as the day has dawned and my cross country skis are calling me for a bit of ski touring around the BLM land just outside of town while the snow conditions are good.

Phil, aka "Beezer"

Hi Phil,

Nice introduction and enjoy the skiing.

I have a BSA R10 SE/TH .22 and it's tack driver.

I have had an interest in the BSA R10. However, it has to be a used one in rather good shape, because the regulator will have to be changed out to a Huma. Been waiting for when BSA finally had the good sense to make it available in .25 cal with the power level I want. Other than the regulator issue, your R10 should last you a lifetime. Don't see myself ever getting rid of the Lonestar .25 considering what a tack driver it is. BSA air rifles seem to be under represented on this forum, considering how good they really are. It might be because of the lousy service they supply in the USA. Not really an issue with me as I can do things like replace seals myself. I don't see much else going wrong with a BSA R10 if it is made as well as my Lonestar.

I have a machinist friend, and I'm going to get him to build me a magazine for my Lonestar that I can reload or top off without removing the magazine from the rifle, and also single load without removing the magazine from the rifle. If it works out, I might apply for a patent as nobody else has that yet. The lack of magazine feed has been my main issue with the Lonestar .25. That really hampers its usefulness in very cold weather as I can't handle pellets with gloves on. Thus my interest in a BSA R10 which has magazine feed.

I used to own a KLR650 years ago. Longest ride I ever did was 9 hours one way to visit my parents. Will never do that again.

The KLR 650 is NOT a good highway motorcycle, except for slow winding backroads. I know because I once owned a BMW R75/5 which will eat the KLR 650 alive on the highway. However, on a gravel road, the KLR 650 will eat the BMW R75/5 alive. The BMW R75/5 came alive above 70 MPH. The owner's manual listed its cruising speed as "up to 105 MPH". The KLR 650 is best suited to gravel and dirt road use below 60 MPH, like we have here in Montana. That big thumper engine with lots of torque down low really gets the job done at lower speeds, but wears you out at highway speeds as it vibrates much more at high RPM than the Beemer twin.

Reactions: sekiar
Hi Phil,

Nice introduction and enjoy the skiing.

I have a BSA R10 SE/TH .22 and it's tack driver.

I have had an interest in the BSA R10. However, it has to be a used one in rather good shape, because the regulator will have to be changed out to a Huma. Been waiting for when BSA finally had the good sense to make it available in .25 cal with the power level I want. Other than the regulator issue, your R10 should last you a lifetime. Don't see myself ever getting rid of the Lonestar .25 considering what a tack driver it is. BSA air rifles seem to be under represented on this forum, considering how good they really are. It might be because of the lousy service they supply in the USA. Not really an issue with me as I can do things like replace seals myself. I don't see much else going wrong with a BSA R10 if it is made as well as my Lonestar.

I have a machinist friend, and I'm going to get him to build me a magazine for my Lonestar that I can reload or top off without removing the magazine from the rifle, and also single load without removing the magazine from the rifle. If it works out, I might apply for a patent as nobody else has that yet. The lack of magazine feed has been my main issue with the Lonestar .25. That really hampers its usefulness in very cold weather as I can't handle pellets with gloves on. Thus my interest in a BSA R10 which has magazine feed.

No regulator issues after one year and 10k rounds so doing good so far. The barrel is AMAZING and getting a Huma is no-brainer should I eventually need one. Good luck with the LoneStar magazine build!

When BSA finally sees fit to raise the power level of the R10 SE .25 cal up to the level of my Lonestar, I'll be itching to get one. As it now stands, it is at the same power level and the same shot count as the .22 cal, so no reason to mess with it. The much greater velocity of the .22 cal makes it a no-brainer as far as the best one to get.

I should talk to AoA about how far the R10 SE .25 can be hot rodded. When I see a good used one for sale on their website, I'll give them a call.

Reactions: sekiar
Hey I resemble that. 1973 Triumph Bonneville 750 - bought new in Rota, Spain Oh, I have owned a 1968 BSA Starfire 250 and I own a BSA R10! The 21-year-old me is with my Bonny in Torremolinos Spain shortly after buying it..

1973 Triumph Bonneville 750.jpg

Spain 1974.jpg

Attachments

• BSA R10 Sparrow Watch.jpg
    BSA R10 Sparrow Watch.jpg
    534.5 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Time that I made my intro. Back in my days of youth, a Beezer was a motorcycle, and I did not know that BSA made airguns, and I rode a Honda. Owning British vehicles in those days maybe taught you why the English drink warm beer.......was it because George Lucas might have made their refrigerators? I now ride a Kawasaki KLR 650, since the vast majority of my riding is Montana's unpaved backroads. And the vast majority of my shooting now, both powder burners and airguns, is on wide open public BLM lands. My first quality air rifle was a Benjamin .22 cal, made long before Crosman bought Benjamin. My next quality airgun was a Sheridan Blue Streak .20 cal, made by Benjamin just before the Crosman buyout, when they still came with American walnut stocks, and the Williams peep sight was bought as well when I ordered it from Cabela's. Both rifles ended up killing hundreds of varmints. That Sheridan Blue Streak with the peep sight when shooting JSB pellets will give my Lonestar .25 some competition in accuracy at short ranges.

The BSA Lonestar .25 is now my current main airgun, with the Sheridan Blue Streak filling in my low power duties. Hand pump duties have been well served by FX, and I have not gotten into air bottles and compressors yet, but it may be possible in the future. I mainly go after varmint class critters with the Lonestar .25, but shooting pine cones off of our ubiquitous ponderosa pine trees at various distances comrpises most of my target practice. In Montana, because of the distances I had to learn to shoot at, I learned that my Leica Rangemaster 2400-R is the best shooting accessory I ever bought, and good ballistic reticle scope is next in line. A good pair of boots that holds up to many miles of walking and stays comfortable and high enough to fend off a prairie rattler is also a necessity. I shoot powder burners a lot and am an experienced reloader. Half of my powder burner guns are made by CZ, because they are all well under minute of angle accuracy (with good handloads) with a price tag south of $1000.

I don't see myself buying a lot of airguns. The BSA Lonestar .25 can shoot 3/8" groups at 50 yards with JSB Exact King pellets, and I don't notice many people on this forum getting much better results with anything they are shooting. I am a firm believer in the old saying, "Never get into a shooting contest with a guy that owns just one rifle, because he just might know how to use it". I recently outfitted the Lonestar with a DonnyFL suppressor as the bark was getting a bit annoying in heavy use shooting such as at a PD town.

I am an Ex-Navy veteran, "boomer" submarine service aboard the USS Hunley (AS-31). Left the Navy and graduated from the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, College of Health Related Professions, School of Biomedical Instrumentation Technology. I worked on medical gear in the work/study program at the John McClellan VA Hospital that was just across the street from my dormitory. I managed a biomedical equipment repair shop not far out of Dallas, Texas, for 15 years before retiring.

Anyway, enough about me for now, as the day has dawned and my cross country skis are calling me for a bit of ski touring around the BLM land just outside of town while the snow conditions are good.

Phil, aka "Beezer"
Beezer, Lucas was known a "The Prince of Darkness" I rode a dirt kitted BSA B50T for 15 yrs. Solid performer only broke down once when the coil went bad. Was running flawless and had the original piston when I sold it.