New Member Looking for first PCP

Like the title says, looking for my first PCP. My initial thought is to get a P-Rod, but seeing all the talk about the Notos has me rethinking. I tried to do a search, but the info is kind of overwhelming.

I'm looking for .22 and out to 50 yards. Paper punching and pest control. I am a tinkerer so the availability of stuff for the P-Rod is a plus. Sound is also important, so being able to mess with moderation on the P-Rod is also a plus.

That said the Notos sale and reviews are hard to ignore.

Am I just overthinking this?

Jaybird,
In your shoes, I'd go Notos, members seem impressed. Latest Pyramyd Air catalog (Volume 23) offers $10 discount on any order over $50 until 7/31/23, use code "Summer2023" in Shopping Cart. Recent Pyramyd Air email mentioned 12% discount, not sure if both will apply but worth checking out. WM
Thanks WM, I'll check it out.

Reactions: WorriedMan
Lots of shots and it’s regulated.

63C4D96A-2CD9-4F0F-8E5B-89916F650D71.jpeg

P-Rod American company with tremendous warranty support and spare parts. Traditional wood and metal parts. More expensive than Notos, but you get what you pay for.

Notos, black plastic from China. Cheaper than the P-Rod, but you get what you pay for.

P-Rod is a hand me down to children/grandchildren.

Notos is use then throw away.

These are just my personal opinions, and you know what the Marine Corps says about opinions . . . 🍻

prod folder.jpg

Notos is a little underpowered. I would look at Air Venturi Avenger... you will appreciate having a regulator.
Just between the two rifles you listed... You said you like to tinker... The Prod has a lot of aftermarket for parts for it.. one you never mentioned that someone above sure did.. the Venturi Avenger would also make a good 1st PCP.
I'll have to check it out. It looks like it is only available in rifle form.

Reactions: Jasonmc
P-Rod American company with tremendous warranty support and spare parts. Traditional wood and metal parts. More expensive than Notos, but you get what you pay for.

Notos, black plastic from China. Cheaper than the P-Rod, but you get what you pay for.

P-Rod is a hand me down to children/grandchildren.

Notos is use then throw away.

These are just my personal opinions, and you know what the Marine Corps says about opinions . . . 🍻

View attachment 369462
Oh that's nice. I never thought about a folding stock.

When I read the title of your post immediately thought about my first PCP. It was a P-Rod. Cheap, accurate, very easy on air and super quiet with a can. The relatively low power made it perfect for a small backyard and indoor plinking. Easy to tinker with and it got me comfortable doing so.
All that said, it didn’t last long as my number one. Within a year I picked up an Air Arms 510, and few years after that,
my current favorite- Edgun Leshiy 2.

The thing I will say about the P Rod is that it found a place in my arsenal. And I’m definitely keeping it around. Love that little SOB. Would I flat out recommend one with all the other choices out there now, that’s hard to say.
Welcome to the forum and enjoy the journey. You really can’t go wrong with all the good PCPs now days.

PS Lots of aftermarket stuff for the PRod too. You can make it into just about whatever you want. Mine has one of Rapid 70s bullpup kits.
IMG_1149.jpeg