New Member Looking for first PCP

Like the title says, looking for my first PCP. My initial thought is to get a P-Rod, but seeing all the talk about the Notos has me rethinking. I tried to do a search, but the info is kind of overwhelming.

I'm looking for .22 and out to 50 yards. Paper punching and pest control. I am a tinkerer so the availability of stuff for the P-Rod is a plus. Sound is also important, so being able to mess with moderation on the P-Rod is also a plus.

That said the Notos sale and reviews are hard to ignore.

Am I just overthinking this?
Assuming you read this already?

Drop block conversion available for the Notos as well.

The Notos is running about $200 at Natchez right now.

20230603_152005 2.jpg

Drop block conversion available for the Notos as well.

The Notos is running about $200 at Natchez right now.

View attachment 369540

I ran a 96 shot string last night through the Notos, 740fps, 14.39gr pellets, 75 yards, all hit a 6" steel disk shooting off-hand sitting at a table.

Bottle was charged to 3k and was 2.5k when done.

I'll be looking for a 13ci bottle for this gun to reduce forward weight.

The 3000 PSI fill on a PRod is easy with a hand pump. It sounds like you've got a budget in mind. I'd recommend considering a 40-80 dollar hand pump to start. You'll use it for backup if you move onto something else later and (hopefully) will leave you with money now for something else, like ammo. I can see bottled guns and hand pumps not getting along, but if you're going with something as small as a PRod (or even the Notos with its higher fill pressure), there's no reason to jump right into a compressor, IMO.

Reactions: SteveV
I would start with the cheaper Notos, easiest to fill and reported accurate. If you have more fun than you thought you would (you will), you will want a better gun than either choice. You can then use the Notos to lure, then indoctrinate others into “our ways”, and you will have shooting buddies. If you don’t like it, resell at a very small loss.

Had a AirWolf for quite a while. Love the triugger. Only issue was oe, with the old alu. bottle, it wa HEAVY! But mostly became booring. So predictable.

Oddly, in the past they had an accuracy issue. It was just a very simple thing for such a top tier company to overlook. They left burrs on the transfer ports that cut the skirts of pellets. GRRRR!!!

Lately, magazine issues. Many report much better accuracy with some of the models single loading. With the very high cost of their mags. this should not be the case.

I experienced neither issue. Just stellar accuracy.

Assuming you read this already?
I was making my way through it this morning.

WAIT, TAKE A DEEP BREATH! Picking a rifle/pistol is the easy part. You got to have a way to fill it. When you start looking at compressors you will really go nuts. Everything from $200 to $2000 +. You are looking into a very deep rabbit hole.
Yep it is a deep rabbit hole.

I will be needing a compressor as I have some health issues that are going to make hand pumping a no go.

I'll have to check it out. I haven't found the classifieds section, I'm assuming there is some requirements to be met before using them.

I'll have to check it out. I haven't found the classifieds section, I'm assuming there is some requirements to be met before using them.
It will be listed near the bottom of the forum categories once you've commented 10 times within 3 days or something like that.

Reactions: Jaybird80
I agree with others on the avenger. You can tune it to your liking up or way down in 22. They have seal and part kits readily available for it and they aren’t that complicated. The jts guns are also a solid choice and they back them right in Texas for 3 years. I have an Airacuda max in 22 and that gun is a flat out winner. Just my opinion but the marauder platform, while not bad by any means is just outdated for the price they fetch in todays market. You upgrade it to an AR designs p-rod and you will have a 💩 load of dough into it for what it is. Enough you could have something else way nicer.

Reactions: Jaybird80
Had a AirWolf for quite a while. . . Oddly, in the past they had an accuracy issue. It was just a very simple thing for such a top tier company to overlook. They left burrs on the transfer ports that cut the skirts of pellets. GRRRR!!! . . . I experienced neither issue. Just stellar accuracy.
There's an old wife's tale that will continue to make the rounds . . . "burrs on the transfer ports that cut the skirts of pellets . . . " :ROFLMAO:

Thanks for the response. I'll probably not be doing something like that anytime soon but I really do like the idea

You can do this incrementally as well at home. The starting point is just the drop block, get an M16X1mm bottoming tap, tap oil and run that tap to the bottom.

Then screw the air-block from the gun into the drop-block and see if it clocks correctly, seals up and holds air. About 1/2 of the blocks I have converted have clocked just fine with no need to turn them down. The worst drop-block needed a full 0.0039" removed to seat properly. I ended up keeping that one and using it on my gun and gave my block to the shooter that sent it to me which I took 0.001" off of to clock true.

Reactions: skeeekerz