New Member with a Question...

Hey All! Thanks for having me!

I have a Remington Express XP in .177 with the wood stock. I slipped the other day cocking it, and when it whipped closed, the wood stock broke clean in half! I used Gorilla glue and got it running again, but it looks, well, glued together...

Went to the inter-web to buy a new stock, and after hours of Googling, I am unable to find a replacement stock anywhere. The only one I did find was in the UK, and they won't ship to The Colonies. I even called Remington and left a message, they never called back. Does anyone know were I can get a replacement stock? I'd prefer another wood one, but a synthetic one would do.

Thanks in Advance!

Dan

welcome to cyber airgunning. those other remingtons had really solid plastic stocks. i never could find a cheap one in .22 to mess with. crosman corp carries remington airguns now. i would call their customer service and ask about a replacement stock - and ask if it will fit your particular serial number or version. the triggers look different now ( see here : https://www.crosman.com/remington-express-hunter-177 ) . the previous remmington air rifles were also chinese-made, but were clones of the gamo 440. here's the current version of those (much like the remington summit air rifles) : https://www.crosman.com/remington-model-777sb . i keep thinking umarex imported those xp remingtons , maybe check there. hope that helps. - rane on.

Thanks Guys. I actually found that $79 one earlier, but the link is broken when you try to buy it. Mine is definitely discontinued, I got it on close out a few years ago. It is the Chinese version, says "Made In China" on the receiver. I'll call Crossman tomorrow, and see if they can help me out. It runs fine after the repairs, just looks crappy...
1554355863_9411317445ca59697b2d4a0.27431625_m5XzYA3xRHKW68GG76tyNA.jpg

they break there a lot - especially during shipping . that why many remove the stock if possible - on irreplaceable airguns especially . if you had gotten that stock repaired , they would have installed a wooden dow into the middle of that grip to run almost the length of your handle (and they would have charged too much) . but they need to be strengthened there . i seem to remember that chinese rifle being a clone for an r9 or hw95 before remington named it . i was gonna try that solid black plastic synth stock from an express on my r9 so i could drag it thru the briars around here - but never got to it. i fix airguns for folks around here - and we could not figure out how to remove and tune that crazy trigger / safety poop in these guns . i met a guy who does , tho. if yours is accurate ( 4-5 shots within a dime at 20 yards) then keep it. sometimes we do get good chinese barrels. but you may decide to try a different air rifle now. those .22 np2 steel eagle benjamin rifles are cheap sometimes ($140-150) , and the less powerful .22 benji prowlers are decent too ($98 at walmart) . both use gas ram and are pretty quiet . remember , now that youre a member here , you can use that 25% off coupon when you order from crosman.com . youre supposed to click the advertisement banner that scrolls atop the home page here - that takes you to crosman website - and use coupon code AGNATION .... i guess we got too many sponsors now and it got bumped off - idk. i couldnt find it . crosman has free shipping if you order on fri ( or call their cust serv and ask for the daily specials) . seems they have a day for custom shop orders too . crosman products are not the best quality , and if youre not happy - they are the best around airguns in customer service and satisfaction . they will take yours in and arrange a different airgun for you . they're cool as poop , man . they took really great care of me while i was an authorized repair for them ! and (like you have just learned) parts are easy to get from crosman . when you figure out what you want , you can ask that they match the same product price as the retailer you find it at - they overprice items on their website so they are not in competetion with their sellers . and american is just easier . us old airgun tinkerers use all kinds of parts from crosman to make our guns shoot better - it's cost effective . most of us older airgunners generally rebuild , tune , tweek , detune , accurize , and void the warranty after we make sure it works well enough . especially with airguns under $200 . you will find more aftermarket parts and performance or custom parts for crosman / benjamin products than other around here . ...o... and i mentioned .22 cal over .177 because it kills squirrels easier . i used to be a die hard .177 guy . i usually use .22 now - it's just more efficeint (more ftlbs) , and wind doesnt effect long shots as much . the saying i learned was , ".177 for feathers and .22 for fur " . .22 pellets are easier to see and handle as i get older too. get you a new gun - or even a used one from our classifieds .. i find buying used is usually better because most of the airguns im after are 1980's . . i have accumalated too many airguns and parts....i'll help you anyway i can . just pm or send a message to me here. - -paul . 

You can always paint your repaired stock with bed liner and give it that soft touch look and hide the repair.

That's actually a great idea! I'm fond of Plasti-Dip for a lot of stuff. It's tough, feels good, and if you ding it it's easy to touch up. I'll do some sanding to get rid of the seam, and than Plastic-Dip it...

Paul, Thanks for all the info. This rifle is as accurate as I am as a shooter. It's main job is to dispatch pigeons in my residential neighborhood, and to do so quietly without getting SWAT called out on me. I like that's suppressed, and relatively quiet. It also has plenty of energy to make my sure pigeons are DRT 90% of the time. If the repair doesn't old up, I'll go shopping for something else. Already had my eye on this. What's y'alls option of Gamo rifles?

Gamo Silent Cat

Or this one?

Gamo Whisper Fusion

I broke the buttstock of my 760 Powermaster variant one on a rabbit's noggin when I was 16. About the same place too. Glued & clamped it. Then flash forward to a couple years ago when I restomodded the rifle. Careful sanding and refinishing hides it fairly well. It looks lighter than it is. Tiger stripes gave it that ghost effect.

1554404360_20379752395ca654083e8575.48626162_760repair.JPG

1554404656_4631602835ca65530f28488.53772847_IMG_6710.JPG

It's pretty tough, but not bedliner tough. The trick is to prep the surface well, that's why I sanded the entire stock, not just the damaged area. Then, apply several light coats allowing 10-15 minutes between coats. You don't want to wait too long, each coat should melt into the previous one. It takes 12 hours or so to fully cure, but after that it takes a pretty good hit to gouge it. The up side is if you do scratch it it's pretty easy to touch up. It blends well, much better than spray paint would. I've used it in dozens of automotive applications. Emblems, under the hood, and even wheels. 

I actually started on my wife's car today, and ended up doing the rifle as an add on.

Thanks for the compliment, I'm very pleased with the outcome. I miss my wood stock, it looks synthetic now. Sure looks better than it did with the obvious crack and the glue oozing through...

1555300530_15576150355cb400b24959d1.99589253_57698177813__DAEDA1BE-EAE9-4FDA-9B3F-AAE3A7BC9138.JPG