New PCP set up? Any recommendations to avoid mistakes?

It's a relatively unique technology, so a lot to learn. You will find that you need to do a lot of maintenance chores yourself, so research your rifle, look for videos on as many aspects of it as you can find. Forums like this provide a lot of good, and some bad information. You will learn to separate the BS from sound advice.

You have likely figured out a budget for getting started. You need to double it. Have fun! 

Plan on getting a tank and a place to fill the air tank. Hand Pumping a gun that gets 3 or 4 shots per fill takes time and energy better spent on shooting. Plan on several boxes of ammunition to get the gun setup. PCPs are very different from powder burners in a number of ways.

Also, figure on shooting under 100 yards with an air rifle. Probably better in the 50 to 75 yard range. Shot placement will be much more important than powder burners. Consider my old 30-06 delivered about 2900 foot pounds energy, where a air rifle you describe will deliver in the 500 foot pound energy range. That's 1 sixth the power of the power burner.

Get the gun, get the tanks and find some place to get the tank filled. If you can afford it, a compressor opens a whole new world of shooting. Spend time with the gun. Learn the differences and have fun. 

Having fun in the biggest recommendation.

if youve never used ballistic software now would be the time to look into it, theres free ones .. airguns have a comparitively very short trajectory arc and for hunting 'particulary' you want to maximize your point blank zero range and know exactly where your at with it .. the old 'zero it at 100' strategy will make you miss everything else but 100 with an airgun ...

If you're going to shoot a big bore right out of the gate be prepared for a significant expense. Not to discourage, but I hope you like this hobby. You'll be diving in at the deep end. You are going to want either multiple tanks, or (most likely) at least one large tank and a good compressor. Plan on $3500 for a good compressor and be a little flexible even with that. A .45 is going to be an air monster, so you will need a lot. If you want to take it to the field for more than a few shots, you'll need a tank, or several. Something like the Extreme Booster Pump Extreme Booster Pump might help (or not, I haven't used one, just been eyeing them). 

Not everyone who picks up a PCP becomes hooked - none of us can figure out why, but some just lose interest. You won't hear from those folks here, for obvious reasons. If you grab a big bore right off the bat, you'll either sink a ton of money into it just to find out if it suits you, or you'll shortchange the experience by only having 2-3 shots in the field. Again, not to discourage, it's just that a big bore is the most logistically intense airgun you can own.

GsT

The flood of powder shooters in a panic about ammo has begun. A big bore air gun is more similar to a muzzle loader than a smokeless powder gun. Think of the difference between center fire and muzzleloader, then multiply that difference by at least 5 times. It is not an easy jump to make from CF to AG.

Welcome to the brotherhood of airheads.

I've never hunted medium/big game with an air gun; nor owned one that would be suitable. For the purpose of discussion, I just did a brief search of Alabama laws regarding hunting with air guns and it appears that there is a .30 caliber minimum for Deer, Boar (AKA Hogs) and Coyote; apparently Turkey may not be hunted with air guns or single projectiles - it specifically states no shotgun slugs. As far as I researched, there are few other interesting stipulations such as air soft is legal for some smaller species and frogs may only be hunted with air guns of .25 caliber or less - they are probably concerned about ricochet due to the proximity of water rather than, "Wouldn't be sporting to use that .45 on amphibians old chap." Although, .30 may be on the light side, in my simple, humble opinion, .35 will definitely cleanly harvest a Deer - under the right conditions, of course. Why wouldn't a "space age" Benjamin in .35 and a hand pump work for someone on a budget? Oh, thanks for putting up with the new guy...

Highly recommend Air force guns...unregulated and not as many problems. You might try a tried and true Benjamin Marauder in .25 for 50FPE of energy as an entry gun (the .25 is a great price per pellet plinker whereas the .45 and .50 pellets/slugs are $$$

Also...lots of BS is totally true in the above statement. I come from PB as well, and some see elf proclaimed experts know little. Other times, some of the most legit paper punchers here are just that, legit. But the best advise so far, for whatever you choose, have fun because airguns are pure joy. After my wife and kids, shooting airguns is my favorite pass time

I'm not as well read as most of our members, but my Texas in 45 will shoot one ragged hole at 25 and 50 yards. The same hole in fact. At 100 yards with a 290 grain slug it is 12 inches low for the 25/50 yard zero. One slightly larger ragged hole. It takes the guess work out of Texas airgun requirements.

How long will it last? Dunno, I'm new to PCP, and a $3500 compressor is pretty overkill for a n00b. Plenty out there that will do a novice and get you going in the sub $400 range. The price of admission is high enough for a beginner, and I R 1.

The muzzle loader and air gun comparison is pretty close. Not the differences so much but the comparable parts. It isn't center fire, but if you are a muzzle loader, air gunning is a pretty easy transition, or was for me. Treat a shot like a muzzle loader or archery shot. Give a few minutes and then give a few more. They work from blood loss rather than the shock of the fast rounds of a center fire.

Happy shopping an researching.

Why wouldn't a "space age" Benjamin in .35 and a hand pump work for someone on a budget? Oh, thanks for putting up with the new guy...

It'll certainly get you started. I don't know too many people that stick with a hand pump for long. It's not that it's that hard for a healthy adult to pump up a tube / tank, it's that it takes time, usually when you want to be shooting. I started (with PCPs) with a handpump and a Discovery. IIRC I bought my second PCP (AirForce Condor SS) before getting a tank. The tank was a steel 3000psi tank and probably the one purchase I regret most, but the 4500psi tanks were so expensive... I used my tank, and then 'topped up' with the handpump for quite a while. But everyone I know with a handpump either upgraded pretty quickly, lost interest, or semi-lost interest (meaning they shoot once in a while, but didn't catch the sickness). 

GsT

Forget hand pumping a .45 cal. There are portable compressors for just pumping up guns that can also be operated via a truck battery that cost under a grand. If you like this sport you'll be getting more guns. If you just want to shoot the .45 during hunting seasons only and keep the gun as a "safe queen" the rest of the year you may find a empty gun when you pull it back out. They take upkeep to be reliable for expensive hunting trips.

"...I don't know too many people that stick with a hand pump for long. It's not that it's that hard for a healthy adult to pump up a tube / tank, it's that it takes time, usually when you want to be shooting..."

You are absolutely correct - the last thing you want to do is raise your heart rate before shooting; and the volume of air used in big bores makes it pretty impractical - even if it could be done. The 500cc bottle guns on .25 and below or extra air tubes was my answer, because I rarely take 50 or so shots in a session - I get sloppy after that. If I pump, it's 25 or 30 strokes then rest - it never gets hot and I don't get tired; but it takes a long time. Most people don't have the patience or the athletic ability; and with out a compressor or tank if you have an injury....Thanks for taking the time to respond!

"...There are portable compressors for just pumping up guns that can also be operated via a truck battery that cost under a grand..." 

How did you guess I had a truck - with dual batteries. There are more compressors coming out all the time so that's a huge step forward, but...I'm poor and thankful for what I have - very thankful. I've been thinking more and more about nitrogen...there was a HP compressor a while ago that worked with the assist of a regular shop compressor - can't remeber the name...Thanks for the responding!