• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

New RAW TM1000x - first range outing

OK, I finally got myself in gear and the weather was cooperating. We've been having a lot of rain and high winds this past week. This is my first time out with my new RAW HM1000x chassis in .177 caliber. I seemed to be pulling my shots to the lower right for some reason. The buttstock on this chassis is not the easiest to find a solid place. These were at 100 yards using JSB 13.4 gr KO slugs at 1010 fps. Modeerator used was a DonnyFL/FX and was quite effective. All settings are as Martin made them.

View attachment 474584View attachment 474585
Really nice groups, especially for a .177
Must have been a happy range session, it would have put a smile on my face
Nice shooting!

Paul

Pretty good groups at 100 yards, especially for a .177 and pretty light slugs. Actually a 45 and 43 for score shooting, so pretty solid for score as well.

Do you have a Poly barrel on that RAW or is it a cut rifle barrel? Mine was tuned by Martin for 13.4 JSB/FX trash can pellets. Primary distance is for 30 to 50Y paper target bench shooting. Not sure how it will do at 100y with those pellets.

Have the HST set at 813 - 818 FPS range currently with my new Impulse 2000 moderator.
Yes, poly bbl.

Reactions: ThomasT
Paul

I thought ( or heard ) that the RAWs don’t shoot slugs well from Poly barrels. I guess your 100y test results with the 13.4 KO’s dismiss that myth. I guess I was surprised.

Tom
I’ve never heard that. As a matter of fact, I would say that FX barrels are essentially polygonal the way the rifling is shaped. A lot of FX rifles do well in competition.

Paul

I thought ( or heard ) that the RAWs don’t shoot slugs well from Poly barrels. I guess your 100y test results with the 13.4 KO’s dismiss that myth. I guess I was surprised.

Tom

Update:

I ordered a couple of tins of the 13.4 KO’s and shot them at 40y yesterday. They were terrible and could not even get them to group for me. I did not Chrony them because they were so bad and I quickly went back to the FX 13.4g “trash can” pellets, which shot great for me for the 30y Target Challenge cards. Pictures attached.

I’m guessing a bump up in velocity might yield different /better results, but not sure either. I don’t use this gun for 100y bench rest, just 50y ( N50) and under 30 & 40Y paper target challenges.

Edit: I re-read your prior post and saw you shot those 100y targets at 1010 FPS with the 13.4 KO slugs. I'm sure mine were 800 FPS or less, so maybe that's why they would not group.

IMG_1415.jpeg

Last edited:
Update:

I ordered a couple of tins of the 13.4 KO’s and shot them at 40y yesterday. They were terrible and could not even get them to group for me. I did not Chrony them because they were so bad and I quickly went back to the FX 13.4g “trash can” pellets, which shot great for me for the 30y Target Challenge cards. Pictures attached.

I’m guessing a bump up in velocity might yield different /better results, but not sure either. I don’t use this gun for 100y bench rest, just 50y ( N50) and under 30 & 40Y paper target challenges.

Edit: I re-read your prior post and saw you shot those 100y targets at 1010 FPS with the 13.4 KO slugs. I'm sure mine were 800 FPS or less, so maybe that's why they would not group.

View attachment 477450
50 Yd and under, I would use pellets and keep the velocity under 900 fps.

Reactions: Chief Ten-Beers
Thanks Dave!

The groups were just so-so, but……I need to break it in and find the best velocity for the 16.2 g pellet.

I can always re-tune for a 13.4g redesign .177. Martin accommodated me for a 40y and N50 target at 50y with the 16.2 g.

To be fair, he did recommend the 13.4gat 800-810 FPS range for 30y.

This is when the fun begins.
Wonder if their is anyone that provides this service ? tuning a RAW to a specific pellet weight .?

• Love
Hello @beerthief

Yes Martin Rutterford at Airgun USA is the man to go to for any and all custom work on a RAW.

ThomasT
I am getting more serious about the pistol , another $500 to go b4 i order . Martin is about 1.25 hour drive away .

Last edited:
  • Haha
I am getting more serious about the pistol , another $500 to go b4 i order . Martin is about 1.25 hour drive away .
Martin and Sandra are lovely people, i am sure you would enjoy the trip to see them.
I would think that there are other tuners of RAW that could tune to a specific weight ..someone like Motorhead
Mine was tuned by Martin for the 25g pellets ..i won't mess with it...anymore:p
Check out the new line of target pistol grips he has ...the walnut looks fantastic
they are going for 128 ..so maybe 628 to go :unsure: :LOL:

Hello @tommyb

Two great looking cards, very well shot at 40-yards (y) (y) (y)

ThomasT

Thank you guys! Wind reading is getting a bit better, but I still shoot quite a few 40Y cards in the 180’s.

It does help a lot that I have the rifle secured in a front mechanical Randolph rest vs. front Accu-Tac bipod. I have it fastened down tightly so there is virtually no movement in the front and mid section of the rifle. All this is for naught though without some luck from “wind reading.”

I call it “luck” because that’s how it feels at times. 😀