Airforce New Talon SS Classic Bottle question

So I bought an airforce talon ss blem directly from airforce on sale for a good price. I have a condor and texan so I'm familiar with the platform. The only thing throwing me for a loop is it says it's a classic series. It says traditional trigger guard and grip but mentions nothing else. The pictures show it without a gauge and make no mention of the spin loc tank. Anyone know the scoop? Thanks

So I bought an airforce talon ss blem directly from airforce on sale for a good price. I have a condor and texan so I'm familiar with the platform. The only thing throwing me for a loop is it says it's a classic series. It says traditional trigger guard and grip but mentions nothing else. The pictures show it without a gauge and make no mention of the spin loc tank. Anyone know the scoop? Thanks
I also bought a Talon SS. but haven’t received it yet. It looks like an old style rifle, without a pressure gauge and without spin lock tank.Talon SS rifles, which are sold at full price, have a pressure gauge on the pic.
1720286330385.png

Last edited:
Huben 50cc regulator. I have a texan and a condor, there's not much that can go wrong with them(don't know if usinga reg would void the warranty). If something does, it's usually an easy fix. My favorite thing about airforce guns is how simple and effective they are. Even being relatively new to pcp guns I find these perfectly simple.

Reactions: Ievgen721
It’s nice to have a simple gun. I have some Edguns but the AF is amazing in it’s simplicity
I have a Taipan Vet2 that's absolutely solid and shoots lights out. I also have an FX Maverick that shoots lights out when I'm not fixing something that came loose or taking 10 shots for it to settle back in after it comes out of the case. Still like shooting it. Then there's the texan and condor, you could probably drive in a fence post with them and they would still shoot.

I too bought a Talon SS blem, in the last two weeks, and it came with a spin loc tank w/ gauge and the one piece top hat.
If any of you have a Talon SS in .177, I'd be interested to hear the performance with 13 & 16 gr. pellets and at what power setting. Also, is there suppose to be a puff air coming from the opening on the left side where the power numbers are?

I too bought a Talon SS blem, in the last two weeks, and it came with a spin loc tank w/ gauge and the one piece top hat.
If any of you have a Talon SS in .177, I'd be interested to hear the performance with 13 & 16 gr. pellets and at what power setting. Also, is there suppose to be a puff air coming from the opening on the left side where the power numbers are?
I do not recall any air from that area on my TalonP, but I will check next time I get home. Maybe Tuesday.

There's not a lot of places for it to leak air(one of my favorite things about airforce guns in general) check the orings in the action-the delrin piece.

Here is some initial data from a .177 from that sale, but with lightweight pellets. You can see the valve seating and "breaking in" from the first string to the next:

Talon SS 0.177, Talon tank ~0.123 orifice, O-ring, 12" barrel
3000 psi pump, 3200psi tank
pw, grains, m/s, fps, fpe, m/s string...
2 6.8 270 887 11.9 261 290 260 271 284
5 6.8 304 998 15.1 303 305 305 303 303
3 6.8 301 986 14.7 299 301 302 298 298
2 6.8 297 973 14.3 296 297 297 297 296
(pw= power wheel)
I imagine one would see more power at less velocity with your heavier pellets, although the shorty 12" barrel might limit how much more.

No puff at the power wheel that I noticed, but it might be the SS baffles venting back to that point, which would be normal with heavier pellets and maybe a higher power wheel setting.

Mike

P.S. Levgen, sweet scope!!

I have a Talon P Carbine and .22 Escape SS. they shoot great, make good power, but this .177 is a real PITA. I've been on the phone with AF a couple of times and they have sent me two new tanks. Still not performing very well and puffs air, as I said. So the next step is return for warranty service or refund.

The tank that came with the gun would exhaust a large quantity of the air on the first or second shot. The second tank would give a pretty significant puff of air from the slot on the side and this third tank still puffs, but less than before.

Before I say too much more, I'm going to give them a shot at fixing the problem when I call tomorrow. It's just annoying to not be able to enjoy a new gun.

Here is some initial data from a .177 from that sale, but with lightweight pellets. You can see the valve seating and "breaking in" from the first string to the next:

Talon SS 0.177, Talon tank ~0.123 orifice, O-ring, 12" barrel
3000 psi pump, 3200psi tank
pw, grains, m/s, fps, fpe, m/s string...
2 6.8 270 887 11.9 261 290 260 271 284
5 6.8 304 998 15.1 303 305 305 303 303
3 6.8 301 986 14.7 299 301 302 298 298
2 6.8 297 973 14.3 296 297 297 297 296
(pw= power wheel)
I imagine one would see more power at less velocity with your heavier pellets, although the shorty 12" barrel might limit how much more.

No puff at the power wheel that I noticed, but it might be the SS baffles venting back to that point, which would be normal with heavier pellets and maybe a higher power wheel setting.

Mike

P.S. Levgen, sweet scope!!
Thanks, but I can't extrapolate from those light pellets to heavier pellets. The venting point you made may be the answer, if only AF would be forth coming with that kind of info. if it is a real thing.

I have a Talon P Carbine and .22 Escape SS. they shoot great, make good power, but this .177 is a real PITA. I've been on the phone with AF a couple of times and they have sent me two new tanks. Still not performing very well and puffs air, as I said. So the next step is return for warranty service or refund.

The tank that came with the gun would exhaust a large quantity of the air on the first or second shot. The second tank would give a pretty significant puff of air from the slot on the side and this third tank still puffs, but less than before.

Before I say too much more, I'm going to give them a shot at fixing the problem when I call tomorrow. It's just annoying to not be able to enjoy a new gun.
When I received this rifle I shook it and heard a knock in the middle of the barrel shroud. I removed the shroud and secured the moderator baffles correctly. Berserkeley Mike is probably right.

When I received this rifle I shook it and heard a knock in the middle of the barrel shroud. I removed the shroud and secured the moderator baffles correctly. Berserkeley Mike is probably right.
Oh, right, now I remember, mine was rattly too. One can't just stack the baffles up against the end of the barrel as then there is too much room. There is a screw that must be set (in the middle of the bottom dovetail), that the first baffle rests against, that keeps the stack tight up against the shroud end cap.

As for the puff, 13-14gr is a very heavy pellet in .177. I still don't really understand the Airforce valve, but imagine:
it gets knocked open by the hammer,
air pressure then builds in the breech, approaching that of the bottle, and at this point there is little force to close the valve,
that pressure moves the pellet down the barrel, which makes more volume for that breech air to go, which decreases the pressure,
and that pressure difference helps shut the valve, it moves with the airflow to the closed position.
A light weight pellet accellerates quickly and thus the valve will close quicker, meaning a smaller puff of air. But with a heavy pellet, is it possible that it takes a longer time to accellerate, that the valve stays open longer, and then there is more high pressure air that has to go somewhere, eventually out the barrel end, past the baffles and then out the side port, as there are o-rings blocking all other exits?

Do you get the same puff with a lighter pellet, say 7-10gr?

Reactions: Ievgen721
AF has not returned my call from yesterday. I was disappointed when I got their VM, because every other time I called I got a person.

No rattle. Shot some more strings the other day at varying power settings (2-10) and fill pressures (2700-3000). FPS drops ~80 fps in 15 shots. There is no curve, just a downhill slope.

When I talked to AF I told them what pellet weights I was shooting and they said they were a good weight. I did try some 10 gr. pellets originally, but that was the tank that was dumping half the air in one shot. Haven't tried the lighter pellets since.

AF has not returned my call from yesterday. I was disappointed when I got their VM, because every other time I called I got a person.

No rattle. Shot some more strings the other day at varying power settings (2-10) and fill pressures (2700-3000). FPS drops ~80 fps in 15 shots. There is no curve, just a downhill slope.

When I talked to AF I told them what pellet weights I was shooting and they said they were a good weight. I did try some 10 gr. pellets originally, but that was the tank that was dumping half the air in one shot. Haven't tried the lighter pellets since.

I'm no AirForce expert, but your .177 sounds like how my my .20 Condor acts if I have too big of an orifice in the top hat. Orifice being what AF calls their "ring locks", aka transfer ports.

My .20 Condor shipped with a 0.166 transfer port installed, and the gun would have been a turd with that transfer port (declining shot string, abysmal shot coumt, and no consistency). I went straight to the 0.123 tp and am enjoying about 40shots per fill, with a realistic extreme spread of about 30fps. Those 40 shots are in the 30fpe realm.