Other New to airguns/PCPs and exploring some options, feedback appreciated!

Hi all,

I am new to airguns and this forum but I have a lifetime of target shooting experience (clay sports and rim/centerfire rifle) and am interested in getting a PCP rifle for target practice and hunting. For the latter, a PCP is particularly appealing because my state has good airgun hunting laws and it would be nice to hunt upland game (birds and mammals) without hearing pro.

So far, I have been debating between the AV Avenger/Avenge-X and Benjamin Marauder platforms. If anyone has feedback on these platforms and/or have one available for sale, please let me know! I like the modularity of the Avenge-X platforms and upgrades to some components in the Avenger, but realistically I would not be tweaking this platform until I have enough experience/disposable income to do so. I would prefer .22 but could make .25 or even .177 work for the game I am targeting. Both guns seem to be quite popular and I have read up on both as well as PCPs in general, so I’m mostly looking for personal experience/preference here (rather than being too lazy to do a simple Google search). I do not have any other equipment besides optics and cleaning equipment, so I will also need a pump or tank and any other accessories I’m unaware of. Also, if there’s any other models in this price range (300-500 used, 500-800 new) I should be keeping my eyes out for let me know!

I am happy to provide any details or elaboration that may be useful.

Thank you for reading, I am looking forward to hearing any feedback and to joining the forum!

Reactions: HogKiller
From what I hear & have read the Avenger is a great "intro" to PCP's. I, personally, didn't have great success with the Marauder but that was 8 years ago when the "barrel lottery" was going on. A lot of people swear by them. If you're gonna dive into the rabbit hole I'd suggest a moderately priced compressor (Yong Heng, CX4, etc) & used SCBA (carbon fiber) tank. Having air is essential, portability of it (or not) another issue. BE AWARE, this is addictive! Extremely satisfying & fun but addictive. Welcome aboard & don't be afraid to ask "stupid" questions. We've ALL had to ask those to become integilent 🤪. Hope you enjoy the ride & make some friends.

Reactions: 17dean
Thanks for the warm welcome and recommendations! @WorriedMan, thank you for this resource, it is a concise overview of some topics I am quite familiar with and others that are entirely new to me.

Since I don't have access to the classifieds and I would like to get my hands on something to practice and get comfortable with before the season starts, I have begun looking at the Umarex Notos which can be had for ~220 new and is much lighter than the above options and easy(ier) to hand pump than other PCPs. Maybe it is inexperience or hubris but I regularly do cardio and strength train and have more energy and time than money at this point, so I plan to sticking to hand pumping until I get a bottle-fed gun or a tank/compressor pops up at a good deal when I have more disposable income.

For those of you that hunt small game (birds, mammals) with your airguns, what is your preference on optics? I'm thinking either a fixed 4x or a 2-7x for hunting in open, mountainous forests and grasslands.

Hi all,

I am new to airguns and this forum but I have a lifetime of target shooting experience (clay sports and rim/centerfire rifle) and am interested in getting a PCP rifle for target practice and hunting. For the latter, a PCP is particularly appealing because my state has good airgun hunting laws and it would be nice to hunt upland game (birds and mammals) without hearing pro.

So far, I have been debating between the AV Avenger/Avenge-X and Benjamin Marauder platforms. If anyone has feedback on these platforms and/or have one available for sale, please let me know! I like the modularity of the Avenge-X platforms and upgrades to some components in the Avenger, but realistically I would not be tweaking this platform until I have enough experience/disposable income to do so. I would prefer .22 but could make .25 or even .177 work for the game I am targeting. Both guns seem to be quite popular and I have read up on both as well as PCPs in general, so I’m mostly looking for personal experience/preference here (rather than being too lazy to do a simple Google search). I do not have any other equipment besides optics and cleaning equipment, so I will also need a pump or tank and any other accessories I’m unaware of. Also, if there’s any other models in this price range (300-500 used, 500-800 new) I should be keeping my eyes out for let me know!

I am happy to provide any details or elaboration that may be useful.

Thank you for reading, I am looking forward to hearing any feedback and to joining the forum!
Welcome to the Rabbit Hole® a place where dreams are shattered and wallets are emptied. .22 is fine for smaller stuff, unless it's California Ground Squirrels then you need at least a .50....kidding....sort of. You'll have a choice of regulated vs unregulated, both have their frustrations. Then your source of air unless you love excercise with a hand pump. There will be choices of pellets and .... eventually the slug branch of the aforementioned Rabbit Hole®, purgatory unto itself. Air guns love certain pellets, I'd start off with AEA's and see if they play well. My Mavericks and Raptor love them. We'll be here for you, we've all been there caught wandering in the RH. Enjoy

Reactions: Rizz01