New to PCP, air tank question

Hello, I am new to PCP pistols. Looking to buy a Steyr LP50 to practice for my 22 bullseye shooting.

I pretty much settled in on the LP50 as it can shoot 5 rounds consecutively as the timed and rapid fire portions of our league shoots require 5 shots in 20 and 10 seconds respectively. Here is the question, what size 4,500 psi tank should I purchase, and where would be a good source for the purchase of a tank?

That looks like a sweet pistol. I had my eyes on an LP5 years ago to practice indoors during the winter for ISU style events including turning targets for the state Summer Games but I never did. I won a gold medal with a Daisy 717 in the summer games 10 meter airgun target event but didn't get any gold in any of the rimfire / centerfire turning target events. Maybe if I had practiced all winter with the LP5 I might have. They didn't do an airgun turning target, or I probably would have bought an LP5 to serve double duty for general practice and for airgun competition.

As for tank advice, you probably won't get very many comments, suggestions or opinions on what tank setup to get, but you never know. Maybe at least one other person will submit their 2 cents besides me. :LOL:

I went the lowest cost possible and have been happy so far. $80 used and expired Scott carbon fiber 4500 psi 60 minute / 88 cubic foot SCBA tank off eBay. I inspected the inside with a bore scope. The Scott and other US made SCBA tanks and valves are significantly more robust than most of the tanks sold by airgun shops as they are designed to keep firemen alive in burning buildings. New Yong Heng compressor for $235 to fill it since the tank is expired and an SCBA compatible fill station from eBay for $40. Total cost less than just a new tank of comparable size and the tank has a 30 year design life so I have another 12 years of service. It will probably be fine even 25 years past the expiration date, but I will likely retire it around the 30 year age date.

A smaller tank might be nice for your pistol if you are hauling it around. You can calculate the number of fills from various tank sizes using this handy online calculator, but with several minutes of searching the web, I never did find the capacity of the 200 bar cylinder. It isn't much, that's for sure. https://www.airgunsofarizona.com/Tanks/FillCalc.html -- With the small air cylinder on that gun you could also fill it with a hand pump and get some exercise at the same time.

Last edited:
I have had the Yong Heng a few months. I first bought a GX-CS3, about 6 months ago I think. I like them both. The Yong Heng is significantly faster but requires 120V at close to15 amps. The GX can run off a car battery. On advice from others who had the auto shutoff pressure gauges break, I got the latest model Yong Heng but without the shutoff. You can add an auto shutoff gauge later if you want.

$235.80 shipped Yong Heng

The fill station I got is similar to this one. I can't find the one I bought but it was just under $40 shipped. Here is one on Aliexpress for $16 shipped from China.

The ebay seller I got my tank from is sold out. There are a bunch still listed by other sellers. I would buy from a seller that will give you a full refund including shipping if the inside of the tank ends up having corrosion in it. Mine looked brand new inside. They might even inspect the inside if you ask.

---------------------------------

What is the capacity of the air cylinder on that Steyr LP50?

Last edited:
I have a yong heng. 5 yrs and still going good. Filling 6.9l tank once or twice a month. I ran it more in early years but not as much lately. I bought an acecare tank an fill station since I fill my own and am not worried about dot certified. An expired tank would also work though. A 3 l tank would probably be fine for taking with you but not being too cumbersome. I have a small 88ci tank that I use when hunting.