Diana New to the game

I'm never popular for saying this here, but I'm firmly in the buy German or English camp. Air arms, Weihrauch, or Diana.

IMHO, the amount of mechanical shock and recoil in a springer is simply not reliable at any lower build quality. Triggers are generally poor. Sure there are examples of low-cost springers that shoot reliably and accurately but there are enough that don't deliver that I cannot recommend them in good conscience. You won't offend me by buying a lower cost springer but you are taking a significant chance of buying a lemon.

That said, if you buy a used or tested low cost airgun that's proven to work well that takes much of the risk out of it.

That all depends on your budget. I have a Gamo varmint that retails for around $125 and a Weihrauch HW90 that is above the $400 mark. Both do the job, but with a different level of perfection. Please quantify what you are willing to spend and folks with chime in with their recommendations.
400.00 would be awesome.

IMG_1159.png

Reactions: Bandito
They're getting pretty solid reviews, so consider talking to Jon at Keystone Airguns about a Cometa 400.

I second keystone airguns his gas rams will be in soon and he will look over gun and check it and will help if you have issues. In essence about the only place that will go hands on before they ship and a little extra to get a tune but it is worth it he will even set the trigger how you like it.

Truley only hands on seller that i know off with airguns it is worth it!!@!

I'd recommend a hw95 in 177 or 22 or a hw50 in 177.

The 95 is a great full size all around gun and makes between 15 and 16 fpe depending on caliber. The 50 is a lighter mid sized gun that makes around 11-12 fpe. Again depending on caliber. 22s making about a pound more power in both guns. Most people including myself find the 50 as the best handling Weihrauch rifle. You'll also find it requires about the same cocking effect as the higher power Hw95.

Caliber is more dependent on what size Varmints and what distance are you shooting. 22 is better for larger Varmints like Raccoons. The 95 makes adequate power for both calibers the 50 is marginal in 22. The slower velocities make it pretty loopy past 30 yards. If you're shooting is inside that the 50 is fine in 22. But I wouldn't try it on raccoon unless it was very close and you could head shoot it. Pretty much the same for the 95. The extra power just gives you a little more distance to make the same head shot. Coons are tough. Squirrels and smaller are fair game for either rifle in either caliber.

I have or had both guns in both calibers. I have plenty of experience with them. I hunt squirrels and small pest with a 177 HW50. My larger Hw95s stay home where I shoot targets and spinners from the porch.