N/A new toy recommendations

I am working on selling my Daystate Air Wolf. (just couldn't fall in love with an electronic gun) Until very recently I thought that I wanted to get an FX Impact.

I started leaning towards a FX Maverick due to it seemed to have less tuning options. I am mainly wanting it for varmint hunting and do want a .25.

TODAY I discovered the BRK Ghost and am MORE than intrigued !!!

What are your thoughts for a field gun , that is more compact than my Daystate Air Worf or Huntsman ? I don't want electronics and I don't care much for tuning or bench shooting. I'd like to get it dialed in and just plink ..... targets and some critters.

You already have experienced Daystate quality and simply don’t like “electronics” in your gun… The Ghost is simply a “mechanical” version of Daystates best electronic models… Get Ghosted…

You already have experienced Daystate quality and simply don’t like “electronics” in your gun… The Ghost is simply a “mechanical” version of Daystates best electronic models… Get Ghosted…
I was JUST reading your post about the "Boringly, Reliable, Killers"

Reactions: Rizz01 and L.Leon
I hunt for a week with a Ghost .30 and took some quails, doves and two javalinas.

The Ghost is a superb alternative and you can change calibers.

If you do not want to be able to change calibers, then the really very best rifle you can buy for shooting accurately at 300 yards is the Vulcan 3 700 mm .25 Cal and NSA slugs 29 grain dish base.

Just unbeatable.

Reactions: ChickenDumpling
I am working on selling my Daystate Air Wolf. (just couldn't fall in love with an electronic gun) Until very recently I thought that I wanted to get an FX Impact.

I started leaning towards a FX Maverick due to it seemed to have less tuning options. I am mainly wanting it for varmint hunting and do want a .25.

What are your thoughts for a field gun , that is more compact than my Daystate Air Worf or Huntsman ? I don't want electronics and I don't care much for tuning or bench shooting. I'd like to get it dialed in and just plink ..... targets and some critters.

Thread 'BRK Ghost Review' https://www.airgunnation.com/threads/brk-ghost-review.1274213/

I've used the Ghost for lots of field work, documented throughout that discussion. It's my favorite long range critter-getter.

I STRONGLY urge you to watch the videos from Shooting with Phil” on YouTube. He has developed a new quick tune system for FX Mavericks and Wildcats which makes tuning more precise and easier. I bought his product and get ES readings of 7fps or LOWER, and std deviations of 3 fps or below. It’s magic! AND you get larger plenum (more power potential) and greater adjustability ( over 600 hs settings).

Doesn't sound like you want to tinker a lot. Do your research here & see which quality gun(s) have the LEAST amount of problems/complaints. I own 3 FX guns (no Impacts or Maverick) I'd probably be leaning towards the Ghost IF I were looking to buy after seeing all the posts here from loving owners. But that's just my 2 cents.

Reactions: monkeyboy386
Here’s a gratuitous picture of my .22 Ghost Carbine XR, with 0dB moderator, Accutac BR4 G2 and an Aztec Emerald 5.5x25x50 SFIR FFP atop. As equipped she is a heavy beastie. Definitely not my walkabout gun, my Atomic XR and Pathfinder are…
IMG_1678.jpeg

Having owned Impacts and Maverick/Wildcats I would suggest looking at the Wildcat Compact Tube version. It is about as simple as the modern FX rifles get. They make wonderful offhand walk around style hunters. I think they are pretty reliable and the tube version has a single reg and moderate power levels so not much need to go wild tuning. I really like the 22Cal Compact for hunting most small game, but a 25Cal is great too just a lower shot count.

Doesn't sound like you want to tinker a lot. Do your research here & see which quality gun(s) have the LEAST amount of problems/complaints. I own 3 FX guns (no Impacts or Maverick) I'd probably be leaning towards the Ghost IF I were looking to buy after seeing all the posts here from loving owners. But that's just my 2 cents.
I'm really liking the idea of a Ghost, yet i'm VERY torn between a 22 or 25 and which model (barrel length)

What are the negatives about the Daystate electronics on the Air Wolf in your opinion?
it's definitely a personal thing. It's a NICE shooting gun !!
I'm not much of a "tech savvy" guy to start with so I tend to shy away from electronics in general. I'm more accustomed to a "traditional" trigger... AND I've already proven my inability to remember to charge the battery properly :rolleyes::mad:
but it's definitely a sweet gun. Very accurate.
All the "negatives" have nothing to do with the gun, just my preferences.

Reactions: orangeokie
Here’s a gratuitous picture of my .22 Ghost Carbine XR, with 0dB moderator, Accutac BR4 G2 and an Aztec Emerald 5.5x25x50 SFIR FFP atop. As equipped she is a heavy beastie. Definitely not my walkabout gun, my Atomic XR and Pathfinder are…
View attachment 488465
I've been looking at the Ghost carbine and the Ghost Plus. I WAS thinking i wanted a .25 but am really considering a .22 now.
What distance could you confidently take, say, a racoon with you 22 carbine ?

I'm really liking the idea of a Ghost, yet i'm VERY torn between a 22 or 25 and which model (barrel length)

Personal choice really, also nfluenced by what you're going to use the gun for.

I'm a .22 and below guy so will address that caliber. With the JSB .22/25.4 or even the .22/28.55 you can get a Ghost HP (23" barrel) pushing just shy of 60fpe. In my opinion, 58-60fpe is about 40fpe more than is safe and easily stopped in most suburban backyards in a typical cookie cutter neighborhood. But is enough to play the Extreme Field Target game and/or really stretch out your shooting (100 yards is completely reasonable).

I would suspect the Plus or Carbine (17" barrel) in .22 maxes out around 38-44fpe, but I haven't personally played with that exact combination to know. If a guy was to push a 17" barrel hard, it would be loud and waste a lot of air (reduced shot count). I think the 17" barrel on a .22 Carbine or Plus would be best served as a pellet launcher, using pellets as light as 13.43 and up to 20.83gr on the heavy end. So about 18-34fpe using the typical 870-930fps range that most pellets seems to prefer.

Those are the rough numbers for the maxes from those barrel lengths in .22. The Ghost can always be turned down in fps, but won't get much more than what I just cited above.

The other big thing to consider is length. A Ghost HP with a moderator stuck on the end of it gets pretty long. And if your planning on maxing out the fpe, you'll want a moderator in the end of the shroud.

My personal preference is my custom 18" .20 barrel in a full length HP shroud. All the extra room in the shroud makes it quiet enough to use without a moderator, when pushing 30-34fpe.

The closest commercial thing you're going to get to my custom .20 is a .22 Plus. That gets you a longer than Carbine shroud, and a 17inch barrel. With a modest tune, it should be quiet enough without an additional moderator.

The 17" barrel in Carbine form (shortest shroud) will require additional moderator at even 18-19fpe. The Carbines shroud is so short that it does next to nothing for sound reduction. So a Carbine + moderator ends up being Ghost Plus length anyways. In addition, you get a 480cc bottle with a Plus and only a 300cc bottle with a Carbine.

I'd only recommend the Carbine if max length is high on your priority list. Ie keeping it short is at the top of your list of wants, to the point of being willing to give up shot count for it.

.22 vs .25?
Ultimately it's your decision. Many will tell you to buy .22 because it's more versatile and the ammo cost less. I find those statements to be incorrect.
I shoot long range and shoot at least 2 hours a day Monday through Friday. I shoot for countless hours on the weekend.
I own 2 rifles in .22 and one in .25.
I find myself shooting the .25 far more to combat the winds. When I got rid of my UX G2 in .25 there were a lot of days I didn't shoot due to higher wind speeds. I recently bought another .25 caliber gun and it just fits. I shoot quality pellets (not JSB, yuk) in the 33.9 grain at 936 fps with no issues.
Anyway, you're gonna end up owning something in each caliber. Make today's choice and move on. The only regret will be NOT ordering that awesome gun sooner.
Good luck!