New Wildcat mk3 compact?

Hello guys,

I made an impulsive buy last night and wanted to get some real life experiences with this platform. I ordered the .25 and was on the edge for the .30 as well.

My reason for the purchase ultimately will be for raccoon elimination that’s been tearing up around the house and causing trouble with the dog! 

Any pointers, tips...etc would be greatly appreciated and may you have a great day.

P.s

Looking to trade some items for a nice optic:)

EDC92975-07D6-4A35-B32E-35D154FD5AD0.1654544569.jpeg

Wildcat is a wonderful platform and really easy to tune. Also I believe you grabbed the right middle ground caliber for your intended use for the foreseeable future but enough power to reach out for other game later when you are done exterminating. 

I would do the power tune on the wildcat to start at #7 on the wheel. This is most likely not were you will be power and speed wise for around your house but I would say you want at least 35-40s FPE for big raccoons at 25ish yards (assuming). 800 FPS with 25.4gr pellets will give you about 35 FPR at muzzle. So there is no suffering. Set to 145-148 bar on reg (150 is the max) and start with your hammer spring at about 6mm. Start turning out till you get a loss of speed at #7. Once you have that turn back a half a turn and or until you get the lossed speed back. You should be around low 900s at #7 and 800 around at #1. Now decide on where you want your zero to be. I would say 20 yards for backyard raccoons. Kill zone is 3" or so, this would give you 10 yards to 30 yards with no hold over or under for the shot. If you have a big property you may want to go out to 30 plus years on zero.

What's nice about having a power level between 800-900, wheel 1-7 is the versatility of keeping muzzle energy and being able to swap from 25s to 34s and also pick you energy and velocity numbers on what works for you. You could be running 25s at 860 for 40 FPE, but decide on 34s at 800 for 40 FPE, but have a little more momentum which is a factors some don't realize is important for hunting. System shock is just as important as penetration/shot placement on an animal. 

Enjoy your Wildcat!

Thanks for all the replies much appreciated. I'll address most here. On the optic I agree that the Element lineup is a bit much for the compact wc and that's just my opinion. I would like a more "compact scope persa." The coons are active right and midnight and I've seen more creatures like skunks but ill leave them be too stinky! I do have a green hunting light I could use to spot in the darkness but I usucatch the coons running out my trashcan and up the light pole near my house. Coyotegod...love the name! Thanks for the tuning advice as well ill let you know how it goes. 

John,

your screen name proclaims you to be a simple guy... 😄 — and I don't mean to make life complicated for you, keep it simple.

However, when buying a scope for your new WC3 there are soooo many options to consider — not really a simple choice.

🔸 But, to help me and you and those interested to keep things simple — here's a Scope Specs Table for short and light scopes that help you to compare specs quickly and weed out those that don't have what you're looking for.

Most of the magnifications are 3-12x, but there are some higher magnifications in there as well — as long as they were at least 13" short.

Happy scope shopping, 😊

Matthias

❌ Attachment:

Scope Specs Table for SHORT Scopes and 3-12x | 3-9x

(In case you're looking for more magnification, I have Tables for that as well.)

download.png
View attachment SCOPE Specs Table. For SHORT Scopes -and- 3-12x 3-9x Scopes.1654663287.pdf

Reactions: SimpleGuy
Coons are always a problem here on the farm. Always checking the chicken coop for weak spots. Crapping on my firewood stacks. Raiding the Mrs bird feeders. Eating Cantaloupe in the garden. Shot placement is everything (head shots) I use 22's anywhere from 30fpe to 50fpe without any issues. Sometimes I use the 25cal ( it has no issues doing the task) but a 22 is what I shoot the most and always within reach. Optics... my thoughts... you spent good amount of money on a very good shooting rifle. It deserves to be complemented with a very good scope.

Reactions: SimpleGuy