Other Newbie first post -with a lame shoulder, is there hope for me to hunt deer?

IMG_5511.jpeg
TLDR massively bum shoulder - how much recoil does a big bore air rifle REALLY have?

I’ve had 2 major shoulder procedures that have helped but it isn’t a perfect fix.
My shoulder still subluxes.

For context - If I carry a gallon of milk with my arm slack at my side, my shoulder will sublux. I’ve developed some muscle tone to combat it but the last time I fired something that had the ability to take a deer down, it ended with a complete dislocation.

I even had an AR built with a muzzle break to try and combat the issue, which it did, however, it felt like you were being slapped in the face and I need 2 sets of ear protection to tolerate it on the range.

Very recently, I learned about big bore air rifle options. I’m consuming research (and y’all have provided so much) but I am concerned. I don’t want to invest in a “let’s just try it” deer set up just to be out the investment and up another shoulder surgery.

Here are my concerns:

1 recoil (obviously)
2 force needed to cock a deer set up (I’ve read some things that say they take 20lbs to load a round?)
3 maintenance and mods.
4 anything else? I don’t know what I don’t know.

The good - I'm a decent shot. My last DRT was Saturday. I got a squirrel with a daisy 880 at 50 feet with iron sights. Would’ve eaten it too but it was a nasty boar. Pic attached, don’t judge the glove.

The bad - yes, in addition to my lame shoulder -
I am lightweight and pretty weak.
I am not mechanically inclined
I want something reliable. I know, that’s subjective so let me clarify
I want to fill, point, shoot, clean, repeat.
I’m a lefty

I’ve just ordered my very first PCP - an Air Venturi Avenge-X .22 (it’s marketed as ambi and I am a true lefty) and a JTS portable compressor. Now all I can think about is deer season is coming and how nice a .50 Airforce Texan sounds.

But, can I handle it?

Last edited:
.30 Cal at 90 fpe do not have a recoil that can harm you.

.30 Cal Red Wolf or Delta Wolf no not need any effort to chamber the pellet because there is no spring to open the valve.

.357 Cal have more recoil.

So, the conclusion is:

If the law allows you to hunt with a .30 Cal and you have the money to buy a Daystate Delta or Red Wolf, then it is very possible that you can harvest as many deer as you want to with an air rifle.

Last edited:
I have a 30 cal pcp now that I love.
Shooting 54g @ 976 fps and 114 fpe

That is plenty to take down a small deer but problem is here in Arizona smallest caliber allowed for small deer is 357. So I've looking for awhile for a larger bore for big game. I am definitely leaning towards the AEA. It's regulated, low recoil, and I spoke to a few people I've met on forums that love it. Check out this video and you can see how low the recoil is. Obviously the muzzle brake is doing it's job and this is a .50 caliber! :)

Reactions: Ohlookasquirrel
.30 Cal at 90 fpe do not have a recoil than can harm you.

.30 Cal Red Wolf or Delta Wolf no not need any effort to chamber the pellet because there is no spring to open the valve.

.357 Cal have more recoil.

So, the conclusion is:

If the law allows you to hunt with a .30 Cal and you have the money to buy a Daystate Delta or Red Wolf, then it is very possible that you can harvest as many deer as you want to with an air rifle.
Just for clarification a .50 Cal, would have too much recoil and/or be too difficult to load?

I’m going to look into those options and see what the consensus is on the hunting side says. I want to make sure I’m maximizing odds of a blood trail in the event I have to track!

I have a 30 cal pcp now that I love and have been looking for awhile for a larger bore for big game. I am definitely leaning towards the AEA. It's regulated, low recoil, and I spoke to a few people I've met on forums that love it. Check out this video and you can see how low the recoil is. Obviously the muzzle brake is doing it's job :)
Ohhhh that looks effortless.
Are the reliable?
How is loading?
Will I have to get an external tank and stay tethered? (Don’t know if I am using the right terms here. Still learning the vernacular).

Also nice user name - loved my old zx7r. Spent over 40k miles on my old s1krr then I got old. I rode everything else but got out of the 2 wheel game after running a few motorrad dealers.

Last edited:
If you want to have a super powerful and accurate rifle that can take down an elk with no problem, my suggestion would be the Airgun Technology Netvor in .45 Cal.

Airgun Technology rifles are as reliable as it can be and as accurate as the very best in the market.

It is a single shot rifle.

I have not shoot with one of those, but I have some in .30, .25, .22 and .177.... They are built like a tank and superb rifles.

Ohhhh that looks effortless.
Are the reliable?
How is loading?
I spoke with a few people on forums that own one. I haven't ordered one yet but one guy in particular owns 2 different AEA Challenger Elites and the Challenger Pro by AEA and has never had an issue. Airforce are good but they're not regulated and the AEA actually puts out more power

If you want to have a super powerful and accurate rifle that can take down an elk with no problem, my suggestion would be the Airgun Technology Netvor in .45 Cal.

Airgun Technology rifles are as reliable as it can be and as accurate as the very best in the market.

It is a single shot rifle.

I have not shoot with one of those, but I have some in .30, .25, .22 and .177.... They are built like a tank and superb rifles.

I have the Vulcan 3 in 30 cal and love it....only reason I wouldn't recommend it over the AEA 50 or 51 cal is that the AEA is fully adjustable without taking it apart. To change reg pressure on the AGT you have to disassemble it, can't even adjust the hammer spring without taking off the stock. Love my Vulcan 3 but definitely not easily adjustable which makes it a pain for different weight slugs

I have the Vulcan 3 in 30 cal and love it....only reason I wouldn't recommend it over the AEA 50 or 51 cal is that the AEA is fully adjustable without taking it apart. To change reg pressure on the AGT you have to disassemble it, can't even adjust the hammer spring without taking off the stock. Love my Vulcan 3 but definitely not easily adjustable which makes it a pain for different weight slugs
Easiest rifle to adjust everything is the Rattler in .357: dime on to reduce power, dime off to increase power, external adjustable regulator that does not need to be touched....

Yes less taking apart is better
To add another factor, I’m a lefty. Most things are assembled for and by right handed people. So being weak and a lefty means tear downs are a bigger project for me than for most.

View attachment 480197TLDR massively bum shoulder - how much recoil does a big bore air rifle REALLY have?

I’ve had 2 major shoulder procedures that have helped but it isn’t a perfect fix.
My shoulder still subluxes.

For context - If I carry a gallon of milk with my arm slack at my side, my shoulder will sublux. I’ve developed some muscle tone to combat it but the last time I fired something that had the ability to take a deer down, it ended with a complete dislocation.

I even had an AR built with a muzzle break to try and combat the issue, which it did, however, it felt like you were being slapped in the face and I need 2 sets of ear protection to tolerate it on the range.

Very recently, I learned about big bore air rifle options. I’m consuming research (and y’all have provided so much) but I am concerned. I don’t want to invest in a “let’s just try it” deer set up just to be out the investment and up another shoulder surgery.

Here are my concerns:

1 recoil (obviously)
2 force needed to cock a deer set up (I’ve read some things that say they take 20lbs to load a round?)
3 maintenance and mods.
4 anything else? I don’t know what I don’t know.

The good - I'm a decent shot. My last DRT was Saturday. I got a squirrel with a daisy 880 at 50 feet. Would’ve eaten it too but it was a nasty boar. Pic attached, don’t judge the glove.

The bad - yes, in addition to my lame shoulder -
I am lightweight and pretty weak.
I am not mechanically inclined
I want something reliable. I know, that’s subjective so let me clarify
I want to fill, point, shoot, clean, repeat.

I’ve just ordered my very first PCP - an Air Venturi Avenge-X .22 and a JTS portable compressor. Now all I can think about is deer season is coming and how nice a .50 Airforce Texan sounds.

But, can I handle it?
Well, yes you can BUT....and it's going to be a double edged sword, you'll probably need ear protection, you can use a muzzle brake, it will absolutely eliminate any recoil, but its going to be loud. Matt Grubber has one one on his 30 cal a Pantera I believe, the thing is rock solid, not a lick of recoil.

1721106318771.png

Yes less taking apart is better
To add another factor, I’m a lefty. Most things are assembled for and by right handed people. So being weak and a lefty means tear downs are a bigger project for me than for most.
Forget about the Rattler. Your cheek would be eaten by the rotary magazine. You should have enough pain to experiment with new ones.

Maybe the Netvor is your choice if you do not want to be playing with the tunning. Ask Tony at Talon Tunes to send you the rifle dully tunned and also the appropriate slug for shooting at about 890 fps.

You will have a single shot rifle, but an unbeatable one.

Well, yes you can BUT....and it's going to be a double edged sword, you'll probably need ear protection, you can use a muzzle brake, it will absolutely eliminate any recoil, but its going to be loud. Matt Grubber has one one on his 30 cal a Pantera I believe, the thing is rock solid, not a lick of recoil.

View attachment 480198
Can’t be worse than my AR’s muzzle break.
Ear plugs and OTE protection is necessary, and it genuinely feels like it’s slapping you in the face.
Every one wants to shoot it until they actually shoot it. A very expensive “let’s just try it” lesson for me.

Some recoil is ok. I can shoot a .22 center fire rifle for about 20-30 rounds before I’m sore.

Can’t be worse than my AR’s muzzle break.
Ear plugs and OTE protection is necessary, and it genuinely feels like it’s slapping you in the face.
Every one wants to shoot it until they actually shoot it. A very expensive “let’s just try it” lesson for me.

Some recoil is ok. I can shoot a .22 center fire rifle for about 20-30 rounds before I’m sore.
The recoil of a .357 Cal. air rifle is much more than the one of a .22 center fire !!

The recoil of a .30 Cal air rifle is like the one of a .22 center fire.

The recoil of a .357 Cal. air rifle is much more than the one of a .22 center fire !!

The recoil of a .30 Cal air rifle is like the one of a .22 center fire.
I should probably clarify
When I say .22 center fire, I mean like little 50 grain rounds (hornet or similar LR).

I can put a hundred rounds through a .22 rimfire and then I just get fatigued from aiming.

The problem is there will always be a trade off. If you go with something light in recoil is probably going to be kind of a heavy tank. This may prove a challenge to get it out to the woods in the first place. Any gun that is going to be lighter in weight will recoil more. Is it easier on the shoulder to carry than shoot ?? Just another thing to consider

The problem is there will always be a trade off. If you go with something light in recoil is probably going to be kind of a heavy tank. This may prove a challenge to get it out to the woods in the first place. Any gun that is going to be lighter in weight will recoil more. Is it easier on the shoulder to carry than shoot ?? Just another thing to consider
Yup, I figure I will need to be in a deerstand mansion or something similar.