Night vision that's scope style

How would it do at say 10yds
Most of my starling shooting is between 10 and 30. The C50 FOV at 10 yards equals 3.8' according to the specs (11.4'@30). I have no issue getting on them at 3.5x base magnification. Use the 3.5x to get on target quick then switch to looking at the PIP (picture in picture) set at 7x for shot placement. It's a little discombobulating to start with but after shooting PIP for a while it becomes quick and natural.

ETA- The PARD at 6.5x with it's more limited FOV is a chore at those distances. The PARD's live on powder burners and slay stuff beyond 60. They are better NV scopes than the Pulsar at range but at the distances you're looking at, the Pulsar would be my pick. I didn't mention it before because of the price tag. Put a WTB add in the classifieds and I bet one would turn itself over to you as a bargain.

Last edited:
Reactions: drsquall
Most of my starling shooting is between 10 and 30. The C50 FOV at 10 yards equals 3.8' according to the specs (11.4'@30). I have no issue getting on them at 3.5x base magnification. Use the 3.5x to get on target quick then switch to looking at the PIP (picture in picture) set at 7x for shot placement. It's a little discombobulating to start with but after shooting PIP for a while it becomes quick and natural.
Ok thanks

Here's a still frame with PIP at what is likely 12 yards. Cut off a little of the top and bottom but it gives a good example of the width.

C50 starling.png

FX Mavrick VP and ATN Trilogy.jpg

As you can see I have a few electronic scopes. :p

ATN has a habit of releasing products before they are ready for prime time. I bought the X-Sight 5 5-25x LRF last year, and they just got a firmware released in the last few months that offers all of the features that were advertised. With that said, my ATN X-Sight 4K Pro has been a workhorse since I received it, and a similar experience for my ATN THOR 4 2.5-25x thermal.

A cheaper option is the One Leaf NV400, as I've heard good things about that scope.

Strap a flashlight and red dot to your gun or put up motion lights and buy a thermal monocular with whatever you can manage. 1k is in the price range of usable thermals these days. Thermal is king of the night imo. You might find other uses for it as well but at 15 yards you shouldn't have an issue shooting with a light attachment or montion light at the coop. I've even seen people do door bell motion sensors to alert them to movement.

If you are dead set on night vision don't spend the money on scopes over 1k.ive had several pulsar units and they are large and heavy. The other scopes mentioned for less money (excluding atn which i will never own) are better options imo.

Good luck with your search and let us know what you get and how you like it.

Strap a flashlight and red dot to your gun or put up motion lights and buy a thermal monocular with whatever you can manage. 1k is in the price range of usable thermals these days. Thermal is king of the night imo. You might find other uses for it as well but at 15 yards you shouldn't have an issue shooting with a light attachment or montion light at the coop. I've even seen people do door bell motion sensors to alert them to movement.

If you are dead set on night vision don't spend the money on scopes over 1k.ive had several pulsar units and they are large and heavy. The other scopes mentioned for less money (excluding atn which i will never own) are better options imo.

Good luck with your search and let us know what you get and how you like it.
Yeah thermal would be nice but I'm only doing this occasionally and will use the NV style for day a lot more for hunting. 10% night maybe.

Thanks

@drsquall well good luck on your search. If you are after nv gear that looks like a regular scope then expect pushing 3 lbs with battery and mount with a large footprint but you'll have the advantage of using any QD mount you want, which is nice. The pulsar digex line is the only 1 that comes to mind for that form factor.

The cheaper scopes that were suggested earlier have as good or better picture quality than the pulsar with a much better weight and size advantage in my experience. I love pulsar but only their thermals. I value image quality, size, weight, and lrf function is nice if you are shooting at multiple unknown distances. If you are mainly shooting off a tripod or a rest then weight might not be a concern for you.

If you are only occasionally going to use it at close range then the fov might not be as big of deal. If you are shooting at moving animals or you are trying to shoot multiple animals close up quickly then fov is important.

If you prefer to use a regular scope during your daytime hunting then you might want to consider a clip on nv device.

There's always the used market if you are unsure and just want to try a unit out and if you don't like it you can sell for not much of a loss. I hope you find what you are looking for. The rabbit hole is a deep 1 if you arent careful. 😆

@drsquall well good luck on your search. If you are after nv gear that looks like a regular scope then expect pushing 3 lbs with battery and mount with a large footprint but you'll have the advantage of using any QD mount you want, which is nice. The pulsar digex line is the only 1 that comes to mind for that form factor.

The cheaper scopes that were suggested earlier have as good or better picture quality than the pulsar with a much better weight and size advantage in my experience. I love pulsar but only their thermals. I value image quality, size, weight, and lrf function is nice if you are shooting at multiple unknown distances. If you are mainly shooting off a tripod or a rest then weight might not be a concern for you.

If you are only occasionally going to use it at close range then the fov might not be as big of deal. If you are shooting at moving animals or you are trying to shoot multiple animals close up quickly then fov is important.

If you prefer to use a regular scope during your daytime hunting then you might want to consider a clip on nv device.

There's always the used market if you are unsure and just want to try a unit out and if you don't like it you can sell for not much of a loss. I hope you find what you are looking for. The rabbit hole is a deep 1 if you arent careful. 😆
You I do t want heavy at all looking the pard nv008 now. It's only 15ounces or maybe the arken. I will use the scope more for daytime hunting than any. Mostly at night it would be 30yds max probably and daytime would be squirrels out to about 50/60.

Hello,
I am looking for a night vision IR light set up that looks like a scope. I don't want to spend a lot of money because I'm just trying to defend my wife's chickens at night from critters so this is not going to be something I will be using all the time and really don't wanna throw $1000 at it. Would you recommend a used ATN Or what? Rangefinders nice but not necessary and ballistic calculator is not necessary. All my shots will be under 30 yards.

Thanks
red or green flashlight might work

Well I got the pard nightstalker and it's great BUT if I can't directly load the videos to my iPhone it's not going to work. So what NV scope will download load to my iPhone. I don't want to have to jump through hoops to get it to work. If it won't work with my iPhone I don't want it. The battery life sucks also. Starting to think they aren't worth the effort and I should just stick to red light and regular scope.

Well I got the pard nightstalker and it's great BUT if I can't directly load the videos to my iPhone it's not going to work. So what NV scope will download load to my iPhone. I don't want to have to jump through hoops to get it to work. If it won't work with my iPhone I don't want it. The battery life sucks also. Starting to think they aren't worth the effort and I should just stick to red light and regular scope.