• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Night Vision VS Thermal for hunting??

You're in ND. Scheels in Bismarck has a large selection of thermal units sitting on the shelf covering all price ranges. I'm sure they'll take 'em out of the case and let you take a close look.

Go thermal. You have the best furred coyotes in the country. Coyotes at distance and airgunning under 100 yards really call for two different scopes. BUT you're in the wide open plains of ND... For a single thermal purchase I'd gear up for coyotes at distance. I would go 3x base mag at a minimum and make it work for the close stuff. You can kill buckets of mice in those fields with an airgun and a thermal like that.

I have used some very high end thermals and night vision units when I was deployed. Each unit kept getting better and better. But when you look at the prices of those....my wife would filet me if she found those in the house. Lol

I will look at the guys there in TX and see what they say.

A range finder isn't a "gotta have" thing, but it would be nice. I am guessing with the airguns it will be max around 100 yards. On a coyote gun my Creedmoor is fairly flat shooting ;)
Distance estimation is nearly impossible when looking at a thermal/NV screen unless you know the ground you're shooting really well. It is a 2 dimensional image.

So here is my take, having two Day/Night Scopes and have owned a 384px Thermal Scope previously, and currently own a 640px Thermal Scope and a 256px AGM Taipan thermal monocle.

I wrote an article on What Thermal Optics Bring To Airgunners over on the Reddit airgun sub. Not that you need to know this, as I think you have a good idea about what this brings, but I do have a few comparison images between my AGM Taipan 256px monocle and my ATN THOR 4 2-25 640px scope. This will help you decide how much resolution you really need. I will include a few of the images here just in case you prefer not to go over to reddit.

20230920_210402.jpg

Images taken with my Samsung S23 Ultra that is approximately what I see with my naked eye.

20230920211510.JPG

The same shot with the AGM Taipan 10-256px monocle.

ATNX0052x.jpg

The same shot taken with the ATN THOR 4 2-25x 640px scope.

As you can see, the higher resolution thermal provides a significant increase in resolved detail.

But here are some things that the spec sheet can't let you know about that I think is important between a Night Scope and Thermal:
  • If you are hunting/pesting where you would like to detect prey at very long distances (500-1500 yards), thermal wins hands down.
  • If you want to easily spot prey that is not facing towards you, thermal wins. Oftentimes, with Night Scopes, you get the longest detection range from the IR Light reflecting from your prey's eyes. This is harder to do if the prey is moving away from you.
  • If you want to easily detect if your shot connected, themal is the best. Blood trails and impact splatters are easily visible on thermal optics.
  • In some cases, I have been able to detect prey not directly visible to me, because their body heat warmed up their enclosure. Night Scopes with IR illuminators must project infrared light directly onto it's subject for it to be visible.
  • Identification is far easier with IR Night Scopes. Full Disclosure: I once mistakenly killed a pregnant possum using my 640px Thermal Scope because I was certain it was a raccoon, and this was just at 25 yards!
  • The quality and viewing distance of an IR Night Scope can be improved greatly by using an aftermarket IR Light. With a Thermal Scope, it is what it is.
  • Aftermarket IR Lights consume a significant amount of power, so battery life is always a concern. A Thermal Scope has no need for power hungry IR illuminators.
  • An IR Night Scope can easily be blinded by IR Light reflecting off of tall brush, trees and other foliage. Thermal has no such issues.
  • Depth perception with an IR Night Scope is significantly better than with a Thermal Scope when viewing items of similar temperature.

Something else to note about thermal scopes. One night I was in a tree stand overlooking a small pool by a culvert that went under a road. The hogs loved to wallow in the pool when it was hot, then rub the mud off on nearby trees. We had placed a feeder there and trail cameras revealed an abundance of hogs using the area. So while I'm waiting for the hogs to show up a bullfrog starts croaking in the pool. I looked and looked through my thermal scope but couldn't see him! Why? He's the same temperature as the water! No temperature difference for the thermal to pick up on. Weird, but makes sense if you think about it. You won't see cold blooded animals in a thermal, so gators, snakes, frogs etc. will go undetected.

Reactions: woogie_man