Nitro Piston Recoil

I recently purchased a Crosman Nitro Venom and installed a Hawke 4-7. Seems to work great, but is quite heavy. I would like to install a bipod. Due to the "double recoil" in these types of airguns I'm wondering if there is a bipod designed with that type of recoil in mind? I already own 2 Harris bipods (long & short) but wonder if they would be my best option in this case? Are bipods even compatible on airguns while using the "artillery hold"?

Mod Edit: Moved to Springers, Pumpers, CO2 and Vintage forum

I really depends on the gun. Some of my springers like a firm hold. Some like a medium hold. And some like the artillery hold.You might try resting it on a large bag and let the bag do the artillery hold. Just use very light grip on trigger hand.I fill my bags with Corn cob pellets sold as Horse Bedding at Tractor Supply for $10.00 for 50# corn cob is medium weight will not absorb water or support mold and rats are not interested in filler according to my source. Cheap bags can be found on EBay. I use corn cob on bottom of bag and Polly fill which is very light and firm on top of bag chambers if they are separate.Hope this helps. MM

Metalmaniac - Tnxs for the reply. I already have a nice bag which I filled with rice. Works very nice from my bathroom window, but kinda heavy to take with me in the "field". LOL I admit I have not really gave the rifle a good test by trying different pellets. I'm busy redoing my bathroom and don't have much time to shoot these days. I am curious to see how it will shoot with a bipod. Will likely try one of my Harris on it. Really was interested to see how others made out using a bipod on this type of airgun. 

I'd recommend against an attached bipod on a spring rifle. The rifle must be free to recoil back and forward, particularly those with significant recoil, and a bipod legs due to being fixed to the ground will not allow that. What you could try is a saddle type bipod where the rifle rests on a V but isn't attached. Might have better chance of allowing a free recoil. 

Hey-U - Mounting a permanent bi-pod, would as U say certainly effect the "cocking procedure". There isn't a lot of leeway on my rifle either for mounting one. Tnx for the feedback.

functor - I suspect U are right. An attached bipod will not likely let the rifle recoil correctly. After reading your response I re-examined my Harris bipods. If I remove the part that holds the bipod to the QD, then I do have a "saddle type" bipod. The stock will slide forward and backward as it wants, and even slides on a hard rubber surface. Problem solved, I think. Tnx for your insight.