Tuning No Hobby For Old Men

I'll be 76 later this month. I'm discovering that my patience is wearing thin maintaining PCPs and the associated tanks, fittings, and air compressors. I've always been self sufficient in servicing PCPs and equipment for them. The forums and Youtube are great tools for assisting users how to diagnose and fix most problems. However, it is inevitable that PCPs will develop leaks over time as o-rings harden and deteriorate, losing their ability to hold back high pressure air. In particular, I've found regulators to be a finicky and difficult item to rebuild and readjust to work after rebuilds. I enjoyed tinkering and got a sense of satisfaction when I could troubleshoot and solve my own problems without spending $$ for shipping, repairs, and dealer rebuild costs. Lately it seems I've spent more time chasing leaks and repairing PCPs than I do using them.

I'm going full circle in my shooting hobby interest. I love shooting sports but the savings in PCPs vs. firearms is less than it was when I started gravitating to air guns 25 years ago. Name brand PCPs are very pricy compared to firearm prices. Pellet and slug prices have increased to the point of losing their former price savings over rimfire rounds and reloading costs. The only disadvantage of powder burners is cleaning them after using them. But I have firearms that are 40 plus years old that don't need the rebuilds and servicing that PCPs inevitably require. I feel like the old sheriff Tommy Lee Jones at the end of No Country For Old Men. I'm tired of it all.

Sorry they are getting you down. I see nothing wrong with shifting to powder burners at least temporarily if PCPs are frustrating you. When one PCP frustrates me I switch to another. Seems like a similar thing. I did not buy my first PCP until 2020 so I have much less history. Maybe after a few decades I will agree with you. I've been chasing a slow leak in a PCP I've only had a couple years and if todays fix doesn't fix it I may just set it aside for a while. I have 2 others that have never had an issue, one that is new but arrived with issues (fixed and fine now), and two that are dependable but have needed an O-ring or two. If they ever all start leaking at once I will get frustrated too. My YH needed an O-ring once too but has been pretty reliable. I kept my hand pumps for a backup. As long as the issues only trickle in I find them to be interesting but maybe that will change.

I'm 68.

Sorry they are getting you down. I see nothing wrong with shifting to powder burners at least temporarily if PCPs are frustrating you. When one PCP frustrates me I switch to another. Seems like a similar thing. I did not buy my first PCP until 2020 so I have much less history. Maybe after a few decades I will agree with you. I've been chasing a slow leak in a PCP I've only had a couple years and if todays fix doesn't fix it I may just set it aside for a while. I have 2 others that have never had an issue, one that is new but arrived with issues (fixed and fine now), and two that are dependable but have needed an O-ring or two. If they ever all start leaking at once I will get frustrated too. My YH needed an O-ring once too but has been pretty reliable. I kept my hand pumps for a backup. As long as the issues only trickle in I find them to be interesting but maybe that will change.

I'm 68.
I’ll be 85 next month and still buying mostly not too expensive pcp air guns. And just ordered a Garmin crony. I have another crony but I’m shooting on a shaded porch and need a better crony. Shooting for me is my daily mode of exercise! Ha. At least that’s what I tell my wife. Charles

I'll be 76 later this month. I'm discovering that my patience is wearing thin maintaining PCPs and the associated tanks, fittings, and air compressors. I've always been self sufficient in servicing PCPs and equipment for them. The forums and Youtube are great tools for assisting users how to diagnose and fix most problems. However, it is inevitable that PCPs will develop leaks over time as o-rings harden and deteriorate, losing their ability to hold back high pressure air. In particular, I've found regulators to be a finicky and difficult item to rebuild and readjust to work after rebuilds. I enjoyed tinkering and got a sense of satisfaction when I could troubleshoot and solve my own problems without spending $$ for shipping, repairs, and dealer rebuild costs. Lately it seems I've spent more time chasing leaks and repairing PCPs than I do using them.

I'm going full circle in my shooting hobby interest. I love shooting sports but the savings in PCPs vs. firearms is less than it was when I started gravitating to air guns 25 years ago. Name brand PCPs are very pricy compared to firearm prices. Pellet and slug prices have increased to the point of losing their former price savings over rimfire rounds and reloading costs. The only disadvantage of powder burners is cleaning them after using them. But I have firearms that are 40 plus years old that don't need the rebuilds and servicing that PCPs inevitably require. I feel like the old sheriff Tommy Lee Jones at the end of No Country For Old Men. I'm tired of it all.
You can come to the light! Tin of pellets, and a Weihrauch HW95. Done

I’ll start by saying that No Country for Old Men is one of my favorite movies, so I enjoyed the reference!

As for PCP maintenance, I’m new enough to them that I’ve not had to work on any of mine yet, but since I bought them all used I do plan to tear them down and inspect for corrosion and rebuild them before too long. I plan to put some “rebuild kits” together for each so I’m prepared to just replace everything when needed. That being said, I’ve been in your shoes with other interests where they just felt overwhelming and more of a hassle than an escape, so I just put them on the back burner for a bit until I was ready to come back. A few I’ve not circled back to yet, and that’s OK.

If you have any springers, you could continue enjoying the airgun world without the PCP hassle as an option. Or hit the PBs again. I’ll agree that pellet prices now aren’t as attractive as they were even just two years ago (though still cheaper than quality rimfire ammo), but for me airguns are still a viable alternative to PBs as they’re legal (and safer) for use in more areas than a PB. Weigh your options and do what makes you happy. :)

Reactions: old goat
I just retired 2023, tired of big money for powder. So far I have a GTG compressor setup and a Beeman 2028 pcp pistol, saving some bucks for a .22 Blitz. I gotta finally scratch that full auto itch. I did not retire with the kind of money that powder burning full auto requires, heck the ammo would be bad enough. The Beeman is LOUD, I got a moderator that I am installing later today. Getting the original muzzle off the Beeman is a task. Pressed and glued on. I split the original to get it off. Buck rail has the moderator and the new adapter, 41 bucks, very high quality 3d prints, I shall report back on the effectiveness, sure like the weight.

@Humdinger . I have the same problem kinda. My buddy is your age, I’m mid 50’s. He says hey come over and hang out.

Next thing I know he is sending me home with his leaking rifles for me to look over. 😂

I reseal them, shoot them a few weeks and take them back. Usually some type of breakfast or burger is provided. Doesn’t quite work out to my hourly wage but I do like a good burger.

On a more serious note. I have a few older 90’s Daystate rifle. No reg and minimal seal. Accurate and reliable and when they do need work it is a quick job.

Or get an old fwb300. No power but cocking is a two finger effort. With new seals one would last longer than almost all of us before needing another service.

+1 to what OP says...it is why I refuse to buy more pcp's, 2 is enough! I am really happy with my platform, very easy to work on, simple construction. (Marauder)

I don't see how some people have the mental bandwidth and time away from family and other life responsibilities to shoot and maintain more than a small handful of airguns, especially with all the brands/models having vast differences in their build. Do their days have 48 hrs where mine only has 24?

There is, imo, a reason why the pcp group/culture stays relatively small and sees many people come and go, it is not super straight forward, there is a learning curve, and with some of the higher end guns, don't get me started...over-engineered and never going to be my cup of tea, 30+ orings with 18 different sizes...no thanks, and that is just the tip of some of that iceberg. A lot of people have hopped on the fx train to later hop off and despise them.

I live strongly by the moto of k.i.s.s....and I sleep much better at night.

-Matt

I never saw or thought of air rifles as a substitute or in filler for powder burners. And I am not really a bench shooter anyways. I shoot on a range to test loads, or ammo, sight in a new rifle or the occasional pre-hunt practice. And I have guns that belonged to my GGGF, GGF, GF and father not to mention the ones I have bought. In addition to be much lower maintenance and much higher reliability, firearms are also much lighter and often more compact. Air rifles are mostly much too heavy and large and cannot take the knocks and bumps that a PB can take routinely. Rossi R92 in .44M, weighs hardly 5.5 pounds, can put near 1500 fpe down range, design dates back to 1892 by JMB himself under divine inspiration. Can eat dirt and still shoot or sit in the closet like my real Winchester 1892 for a 100 years (from GGF) and still go bang reliably.

This is why I like the M-Rod, simple, clean design, very few O-rings, easy to service, reliable and can be made light and compact. Should be good for a hundred years with a few O-rings here and there from the hardware store. Maybe you are just purchasing the wrong kinds of air rifles?

Fortunately I can shoot any sort of gun I want at my house, at least for now! A Ruger 1022 with a CF target barrel and shooting CCI Auto-Quiet is a barrel of fun or shooting CCI Suppressor/Subsonic or SV with a legally owned and obtained device is just as quiet as most air rifles. But my experience is that the .22 bullets carry farther and ricochet more easily and further thus my current infatuation with PCP air rifles, they are unlikely to shoot my neighbors eye out a mile away.

Last edited:
Reactions: Caliber 22
Maybe, simply downsize your amount of PCPs and sundries to a more manageable level… How many PCPs are in your current stable? Which would you part with? Sell them off and have less to maintain and fuss over. This is why small cyclinder PCPs like my Atomic XR and Crosman 1701P appeal to me. All you need is a HPA hand pump and off you go… PCPs are like any other hobby you can make it as simple or as complicated/complex as you choose to…🙏

Maybe, simply downsize your amount of PCPs and sundries to a more manageable level… How many PCPs are in your current stable? Which would you part with? Sell them off and have less to maintain and fuss over. This is why small cyclinder PCPs like my Atomic XR and Crosman 1701P appeal to me. All you need is a HPA hand pump and off you go… PCPs are like any other hobby you can make it as simple or as complicated/complex as you choose to…🙏
I am 76 as well. I enjoy the air rifle as much if not more than center fire guns or rim fire guns. For the last 2 years 90% of my shooting is with PCP’s. Yes there is ongoing tweaking and repairs needed but to me I find it very relaxing. I truly hope you find balance within this hobby.

Reactions: sekiar
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I started out with a large collection of nice springers and still have 5 of them including a Beeman R9/HW95 that is the fanciest of the bunch. I live in a city and enjoyed shooting in my own wooded back yard until a tree hugger wife of an attorney moved next door and started complaining that I was killing her beloved tree rats. She even complained if I was just target shooting with a hay bale backstop. Legally I was over a barrel so I have to travel 20 miles each way to enjoy my PCPs and powder burners. I only own 7 PCPs and all but one are higher end models. As some of you know, I've had a particular interest in air compressors and have enjoyed learning about their operation and upkeep. I've just reached a stage where I'd prefer to shoot rather than diagnose and repair. I've known guys who just buy and put aside PCPs that need repair. My personality is such that I have to figure out how to repair everything I can that isn't functioning as it should. It's in my DNA. It can be frustrating.

Last edited:
This doesn't bode well for me. I'm a few months shy of 50 and my patience with nearly everything has either worn thin or is completely gone.
50? Saweet, you’ll come around again to be the patient, understanding person you were…🙈🙄🤓🙏
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I started out with a large collection of nice springers and still have 5 of them including a Beeman R9/HW95 that is the fanciest of the bunch. I live in a city and enjoyed shooting in my own wooded back yard until a tree hugger wife of an attorney moved in and started complaining that I was killing her beloved tree rats. Legally I was over a barrel so I have to travel 20 miles to enjoy my PCPs or powder burners. I only own 7 PCPs and all but one are higher end brands. As many of you know, I've had a particular interest in air compressors and have enjoyed learning about their operation and maintenance. I've just reached a stage where I'd prefer to shoot rather than diagnose and repair. I've known people who just buy and cast aside PCPs that leak. My personality is such that I have to seek out and repair anything that isn't functioning as it should. It's in my DNA. It's frustrating.
Hobbies should definitely “not” be frustrating… That is a sure sign something is amiss… Why not simply downsize? For me a hobby is by definition, anything I might do consistently to “briefly” take me away from the “day to day” grind…🙏 Hence, why at 63 years old I ride my bicycle, on the road to work at least thrice a week… An escape on the way to an eight hour grind…😈