Tuning No Hobby For Old Men

I'm 70 plus, and just getting into air guns. Use to shoot them when I was a teen, but eventually pivoted to trad archery for a few decades, and am heading back. Seems like the proper trajectory for me, but I do understand and appreciate Humdinger's perspectives. I am not one to 'tinker' around with stuff, so this is timely- choosing a solid, dependable and proven gun will guide my selection.

I would also like to acknowledge and echo Stubbers comments. I have seen many of my friends who find less satisfaction in 'killing' as they age, often letting game walk more often than not. Various reasons for this, which I see no need to go into in this thread. But one observation that seems appropriate here -over the years I have always noticed when my friends and associates used the term 'vermin' when identifying their prey of choice. The term 'vermin' seems to be an all too convenient short cut to justifying their actions and for some- their lack of accountability. For this reason I have to disagree with the original poster, as I think air guns are a great option for us as we mature. But maybe, down the road, I'll be much more aligned with Humdinger as I move forwards.

Reactions: Perle and Stubbers
I'm 70 plus, and just getting into air guns. Use to shoot them when I was a teen, but eventually pivoted to trad archery for a few decades, and am heading back. Seems like the proper trajectory for me, but I do understand and appreciate Humdinger's perspectives. I am not one to 'tinker' around with stuff, so this is timely- choosing a solid, dependable and proven gun will guide my selection.

I would also like to acknowledge and echo Stubbers comments. I have seen many of my friends who find less satisfaction in 'killing' as they age, often letting game walk more often than not. Various reasons for this, which I see no need to go into in this thread. But one observation that seems appropriate here -over the years I have always noticed when my friends and associates used the term 'vermin' when identifying their prey of choice. The term 'vermin' seems to be an all too convenient short cut to justifying their actions and for some- their lack of accountability. For this reason I have to disagree with the original poster, as I think air guns are a great option for us as we mature. But maybe, down the road, I'll be much more aligned with Humdinger as I move forwards.

Much like someone in another thread inquired about a Notos simply to have on hand for 'pesky tree rats and birds' while they're hunting for deer.

It's one thing to do something out of necessity, such as putting food on your table or removing something causing extraordinary property damage, or heck, even for the own species good if their overpopulation is resulting in their own demise due to disease or famine, but to do it for game, or for the thrill of simply doing it, I fully stand against.

-Matt

Much like someone in another thread inquired about a Notos simply to have on hand for 'pesky tree rats and birds' while they're hunting for deer.

It's one thing to do something out of necessity, such as putting food on your table or removing something causing extraordinary property damage, or heck, even for the own species good if their overpopulation is resulting in their own demise due to disease or famine, but to do it for game, or for the thrill of simply doing it, I fully stand against.

-Matt
Fully agree, killing things just to kill then is sick IMO. I recall a kid like that when I was growing up, I think he has since been released from prison. That said, eliminating true vermin is ideal for our PCP airguns.

Reactions: Perle and Stubbers
I am an old guy and over the years, I have become less interested in tinkering and fixing things also.
So when I first got serious about PCPs and had concerns about nightmare maintenance and leak chasing issues, I set aside my tech fetish and made a decision to limit my choices to simpler designs.
So far, that has worked well for me.
Would you mind sharing what simple designs you selected and like. Thanks.

I'll be 76 later this month. I'm discovering that my patience is wearing thin maintaining PCPs and the associated tanks, fittings, and air compressors. I've always been self sufficient in servicing PCPs and equipment for them. The forums and Youtube are great tools for assisting users how to diagnose and fix most problems. However, it is inevitable that PCPs will develop leaks over time as o-rings harden and deteriorate, losing their ability to hold back high pressure air. In particular, I've found regulators to be a finicky and difficult item to rebuild and readjust to work after rebuilds. I enjoyed tinkering and got a sense of satisfaction when I could troubleshoot and solve my own problems without spending $$ for shipping, repairs, and dealer rebuild costs. Lately it seems I've spent more time chasing leaks and repairing PCPs than I do using them.

I'm going full circle in my shooting hobby interest. I love shooting sports but the savings in PCPs vs. firearms is less than it was when I started gravitating to air guns 25 years ago. Name brand PCPs are very pricy compared to firearm prices. Pellet and slug prices have increased to the point of losing their former price savings over rimfire rounds and reloading costs. The only disadvantage of powder burners is cleaning them after using them. But I have firearms that are 40 plus years old that don't need the rebuilds and servicing that PCPs inevitably require. I feel like the old sheriff Tommy Lee Jones at the end of No Country For Old Men. I'm tired of it all.
Those darn tanks sure get used the wrong way sometimes :p
Screen Shot 2023-05-22 at 6.27.56 AM.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Harv24 and Basher
50 cents per round for PBs vs. 3 cents per round in airguns
I'll be 76 later this month. I'm discovering that my patience is wearing thin maintaining PCPs and the associated tanks, fittings, and air compressors. I've always been self sufficient in servicing PCPs and equipment for them. The forums and Youtube are great tools for assisting users how to diagnose and fix most problems. However, it is inevitable that PCPs will develop leaks over time as o-rings harden and deteriorate, losing their ability to hold back high pressure air. In particular, I've found regulators to be a finicky and difficult item to rebuild and readjust to work after rebuilds. I enjoyed tinkering and got a sense of satisfaction when I could troubleshoot and solve my own problems without spending $$ for shipping, repairs, and dealer rebuild costs. Lately it seems I've spent more time chasing leaks and repairing PCPs than I do using them.

I'm going full circle in my shooting hobby interest. I love shooting sports but the savings in PCPs vs. firearms is less than it was when I started gravitating to air guns 25 years ago. Name brand PCPs are very pricy compared to firearm prices. Pellet and slug prices have increased to the point of losing their former price savings over rimfire rounds and reloading costs. The only disadvantage of powder burners is cleaning them after using them. But I have firearms that are 40 plus years old that don't need the rebuilds and servicing that PCPs inevitably require. I feel like the old sheriff Tommy Lee Jones at the end of No Country For Old Men. I'm tired of it all.

Maybe change the PCPs you are using. I converted to PCPs about 6-7 years ago and have only had one leak needing repair. That's across at least 10 guns. I've lost track. And 3 or 4 of those I've had for the duration. So not sure why maintenance is such a burden for you.

I decided years ago to not got involved with compressors. I knew the maintenance risk from my Navy days. I pay $10 a pop to fill my two large SCBAs with clean/dry 4500psi air from either the local paintball shop or the SCUBA shop. Over all the years I've probably spent $200 on that instant supply of clean air. The maintenance on those big, beautiful, expensive compressors is someone else's problem. The best decision I've ever made regarding shooting.

So I just recommend that you simplify what you are doing. If PCPs have become a burden, then you have the power to correct that.

And about 50 cents (minimum) per round for centerfire PBs vs. about 3 cents per round in airguns. That's easy math. It's also one of the big reasons I shifted most of my shooting to airguns. Got sick of spending a minimum of $100 in ammo to enjoy a couple hours at the range. There's absolutely no comparison in shooting costs.

-Matt
You might consider starting a “separate” thread on your thoughts above…where I would further discuss. I agree with your assessment, but that is not the essence of this thread.

You might consider starting a “separate” thread on your thoughts above…where I would further discuss. I agree with your assessment, but that is not the essence of this thread.

I'm not the only one participating in that discussion, and it is part of the OP aka part of the essence of the thread, what do you mean? So take your focus elsewhere.

-Matt

I'm not the only one participating in that discussion, and it is part of the OP aka part of the essence of the thread, what do you mean? So take your focus elsewhere.

-Matt
If you read the OP you will “see” there is no mention of hunting or pesting at all… I merely made a “suggestion” to you. No insult intended or implied by me…🙏 My focus in this hobby? Simply fun for little whiles.

The OP

“ I'll be 76 later this month. I'm discovering that my patience is wearing thin maintaining PCPs and the associated tanks, fittings, and air compressors. I've always been self sufficient in servicing PCPs and equipment for them. The forums and Youtube are great tools for assisting users how to diagnose and fix most problems. However, it is inevitable that PCPs will develop leaks over time as o-rings harden and deteriorate, losing their ability to hold back high pressure air. In particular, I've found regulators to be a finicky and difficult item to rebuild and readjust to work after rebuilds. I enjoyed tinkering and got a sense of satisfaction when I could troubleshoot and solve my own problems without spending $$ for shipping, repairs, and dealer rebuild costs. Lately it seems I've spent more time chasing leaks and repairing PCPs than I do using them.

I'm going full circle in my shooting hobby interest. I love shooting sports but the savings in PCPs vs. firearms is less than it was when I started gravitating to air guns 25 years ago. Name brand PCPs are very pricy compared to firearm prices. Pellet and slug prices have increased to the point of losing their former price savings over rimfire rounds and reloading costs. The only disadvantage of powder burners is cleaning them after using them. But I have firearms that are 40 plus years old that don't need the rebuilds and servicing that PCPs inevitably require. I feel like the old sheriff Tommy Lee Jones at the end of No Country For Old Men. I'm tired of it all.”

If you read the OP you will “see” there is no mention of hunting or pesting at all… I merely made a “suggestion” to you. No insult intended or implied by me…🙏 My focus in this hobby? Simply fun for little whiles.

The OP

“ I'll be 76 later this month. I'm discovering that my patience is wearing thin maintaining PCPs and the associated tanks, fittings, and air compressors. I've always been self sufficient in servicing PCPs and equipment for them. The forums and Youtube are great tools for assisting users how to diagnose and fix most problems. However, it is inevitable that PCPs will develop leaks over time as o-rings harden and deteriorate, losing their ability to hold back high pressure air. In particular, I've found regulators to be a finicky and difficult item to rebuild and readjust to work after rebuilds. I enjoyed tinkering and got a sense of satisfaction when I could troubleshoot and solve my own problems without spending $$ for shipping, repairs, and dealer rebuild costs. Lately it seems I've spent more time chasing leaks and repairing PCPs than I do using them.

I'm going full circle in my shooting hobby interest. I love shooting sports but the savings in PCPs vs. firearms is less than it was when I started gravitating to air guns 25 years ago. Name brand PCPs are very pricy compared to firearm prices. Pellet and slug prices have increased to the point of losing their former price savings over rimfire rounds and reloading costs. The only disadvantage of powder burners is cleaning them after using them. But I have firearms that are 40 plus years old that don't need the rebuilds and servicing that PCPs inevitably require. I feel like the old sheriff Tommy Lee Jones at the end of No Country For Old Men. I'm tired of it all.”

You're right about the OP, but it started from post #40...and I didn't start the discussion and am not the only one to participate, so stop singling me out here...

-Matt

Reactions: L.Leon
"50 cents per round for PBs vs. 3 cents per round in airguns"

I disagree with this comparison as it is an oversimpification. First of all, the only 3 cent pellets are .177 "off" brands. Larger calibers and slugs can cost more than lead bullets for reloading on a per unit basis. In a PCP, the pellet isn't the only cost per round. Compressed air is the propellant. The PCP is much more complicated than a firearn and all of mine cost much more than my high end rimfire target rifles. The cost of compressed air includes the tank, the compressor, or the cost of dive shop refills which adds time and travel expense into the equation. Now lets compare powder burner costs. I shoot 90% rimfire rounds and my go to CCI standard velocity .22s cost .07 cents per round and reloaded 9mm pistol and .38 reloads for pistol cost me 15 cents per round. If I add in the cost of my Alkin compressor, the PCPs, my two tank sets, etc. it actually is more expensive than firearms which cost me nothing in repair time and expense. PCPs have the advantage of less time to clean, but only marginally compared to rimfire rifles.

I've enjoyed having both air rifles and powder burners. My OP in this thread was lamenting the fact that as I get older, I have less patience to chase down leaks and rebuild finicky regulators than I did in years past. I've been on a PCP headache streak recently and the time I've spent repairing them and waiting for repair parts has made me become grouchy. I won't share the particulars as I've got everything working as it should. Let's just say I won't be applying for a job doing warranty repairs for air rifle manufacturers anytime soon.

IMO backyard and basement make all the difference in the world. By the time I load up the spotting scope, the chrono, the guns well heck I need a nap before I go. And my PB range is less than ten minutes away. Prior to jumping in the deep end of PCP's my toy fund was saving for a can, so I could at least shoot in the basement. Guess I might still be breaking my cities laws about firearm discharge tho, backyard is def. out. Instead I can walk out my back door and make some groups with PCP and Gladys can't do anything to stop me, not that I have a Gladys to deal with. I am shooting in to a hill plenty of backstop. The ongoing costs are the gotchas. Powder burners require a can, that's 500 bucks, another couple hundred per .22 LR for threading, another 200 for the tax stamp. and another hundred to put a trust together. PCP is dramatically less costly compared to .22 LR. I'd just as soon not sign up thanks. Not following the law very carefully can get ugly with class three stuff, I would rather not participate than have a senior moment that gets me in dutch with the feds. PCP rocks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yape and sekiar
.... But I have firearms that are 40 plus years old...
40 years old hasn't got back to the time the good manufacturer's actually built with quality and craftsmanship using actual master gunsmiths in production, something that nobody would pay for today, unless you buy things like Korth revolvers and full customs by a select few.

Time and patience can fix that. I've a .270 and 30/06 Mauser powder burners, basically two flavors of vanilla, great guns. I'm currently accumulating the parts to make a 300 Win mag of the 30/06, no hurry I've have the .270 if the need to hunt big game comes up. Looking for a barrel now, picked up a wonderful piece of wood. Can rent the chambering reamer. The Blitz I am getting will be my first polymer stocked long gun, I'm a big fan of polished and blued steel and Walnut, not many new guns around here, PCP's excepted. Modern manufacture methods and modern materials can absolutely "blow away" the classics strength, weight, esthetics all favor the modern guns. As you stated, the cost becomes prohibitive. Today's craftsman demand great compensation but better quality is produced daily, it's costly to do so. The handgun on the street today and practically generic Glock. Ugly as a mud fence, but man oh man it works. We see pristine Colt single action army pistols daily. Will that Polymer be the same in 2150? I know I will not care. We don't know yet, not to that extreme anyway.