Taipan No more Shorty

So a couple months ago my 9 year old nephew was going to take his hunter safety course. My brother in law asked if I could bring some of my airguns for him to shoot and get the basics down more so than just on a Red Ryder he had. He has plenty of rifles but all are big guns I think .30-06, 7mm mag, nothing he felt comfortable with him shooting. So I said sure.

I brought both my Taipans and said the Short would probably be better with a shorter LOP. He shot it quite a bit and was actually getting pretty good at it. My BIL really liked it and asked for me to keep an eye out for another as he would really like one like that for my nephew.

Well I haven't seen any recently and I haven't been shooting it all that much, so I shot my BIL a txt last night if he still wanted one. He responded quickly that he absolutely wanted one. Knowing how much they both really enjoyed it, I gave him a price if he wanted mine and he immediately jumped on it.

Alittle bittersweet as I really enjoy that gun, but I still will get to mess with it occasionally. I'm looking forward to hearing all that they will shoot with it in the future.

Now what to replace it with lol

you really did the boy a big favor and whether it's appropriated or not it's all good, but from the sounds of it I'm guessing that you made the boys year!!
something to think about, not too often kids get that kind of chance nowadays and even more so want to.. I'm extremely disappointed with the way society is going.. I had a job and was working when not in school.. now it's violent video games and videos..
I wish more things like this would happen, would make the world a much better place..
if nothing else no violence video games to condition kids that it's ok to shoot people and they just get back up..
you did so much for the boy.. a good start with safety and learning..
I hope he follows through and I hope you get to see the good results of what you did.
Mark

well just a short one of mine..I taught both my daughters when they were around that age how to shoot,gun safety and all.. being way out in the back woods near Yosemite where I grew up and raised them.. there was plenty of need for guns.. ground squirrels ruining the horse area, timber rattlesnake and wild dogs 😥 dogs are my favorite people but they can't be trying to kill the herd of horses.. always a very sad day for me.. sorry back to the point..
so my girls learned never point a gun at anyone..ever.. and just recently my youngest who lives in MN graduate police academy and she said that the absolute hardest part was when they had to do live fire practice at each other with markers and she said it was so hard and didn't feel right pointing a gun at someone else and actually shooting.. even though they were markers and checked and double checked..I was very happy with that mentality 😊
maybe I did something right raising them..we always wonder what we did good, bad, or could have done better..
so I just wanted to point out that youth need good instruction, guidance and learning in real life what is right and wrong..
again I want to thank you for the post and what you did to help a little fellow along his path of life..
we never actually know or realize how our lives affect others..
I hope this was ok to post.. but teach them and well I believe they are much less likely to go wrong..
thank you so much for sharing your story.
Mark

@Dairyboy
I'd almost like to,if I knew how to get a thing going together to help get you a new gun, whatever.. just for what you did for a youth.. sadly I don't know how to do that..
but if you need machine work.. PM me it's the least I could do to help you actually feel the reward for helping others..
machine work I'll do as just a help to you..nc.. pay it forward..I don't currently care to do it for hire..I just like to help people.. just like you helped the boy..
PM me if you have any ideas that I might be able to help you with..
thank you again
Mark

WOW, a 9yr. old scores what is IMO the sweetest little pup made?
Nice!
Ralphie aint got nothin' on your nephew lol
Nice one, Dillon (y)
What kind of glass came with it?

Screenshot 2024-10-02 at 07-19-07 a-christmas-story-bb-gun.jpg (WEBP Image 1000 × 563 pixels).png

@Dairyboy
I'd almost like to,if I knew how to get a thing going together to help get you a new gun, whatever.. just for what you did for a youth.. sadly I don't know how to do that..
but if you need machine work.. PM me it's the least I could do to help you actually feel the reward for helping others..
machine work I'll do as just a help to you..nc.. pay it forward..I don't currently care to do it for hire..I just like to help people.. just like you helped the boy..
PM me if you have any ideas that I might be able to help you with..
thank you again
Mark
Mark, I appreciate your offer but I am good man. I'm blessed beyond what I deserve already and don't need anything else. I just figured people would enjoy hearing I got another young one to join our band of PCP brothers. Pay it forward to someone in need.

Love hearing about your daughter. I would imagine myself it would be hard to point a real gun at someone that I didn't intend to harm out of personal safety in that situation.

I myself have 2 daughters who will be taught as they come of age but I got time. I do believe it's important to raise and teach our young ones in the right ways. Across all areas. My nephew has been my buddy always as we both love to fish out of the family. He will get many memories out of the gun I'm sure with his dad and myself. Way more worth it to me than to have it myself and not get shot as often as I have too many airguns and not the time.

WOW, a 9yr. old scores what is IMO the sweetest little pup made?
Nice!
Ralphie aint got nothin' on your nephew lol
Nice one, Dillon (y)
What kind of glass came with it?

View attachment 501065
Lol yeah he's a lucky kid. No glass as the only scope I had was my Zulus and my BIL wanted a basic scope for him to learn on. Which I agree 100%. I pointed him to the discovery 2-12x24.

So a couple months ago my 9 year old nephew was going to take his hunter safety course. My brother in law asked if I could bring some of my airguns for him to shoot and get the basics down more so than just on a Red Ryder he had. He has plenty of rifles but all are big guns I think .30-06, 7mm mag, nothing he felt comfortable with him shooting. So I said sure.

I brought both my Taipans and said the Short would probably be better with a shorter LOP. He shot it quite a bit and was actually getting pretty good at it. My BIL really liked it and asked for me to keep an eye out for another as he would really like one like that for my nephew.

Well I haven't seen any recently and I haven't been shooting it all that much, so I shot my BIL a txt last night if he still wanted one. He responded quickly that he absolutely wanted one. Knowing how much they both really enjoyed it, I gave him a price if he wanted mine and he immediately jumped on it.

Alittle bittersweet as I really enjoy that gun, but I still will get to mess with it occasionally. I'm looking forward to hearing all that they will shoot with it in the future.

Dillon! That was very thoughtful and generous of you! I know that shorty was your fav for sometime now. I guess maybe a RAW Micro or Mini or AGT Short or....you still have your Evol Mini? Your nephew is going to be so HAPPY! You'll have fun researching and shopping for sure 🤗

An epic 2 in the shortest barrel I believe 300 mm. Should be a doable truck gun. Or a taipan vet 1 Tony may have left over. Just a thought! 😊👍

Dillon! That was very thoughtful and generous of you! I know that shorty was your fav for sometime now. I guess maybe a RAW Micro or Mini or AGT Short or....you still have your Evol Mini? Your nephew is going to be so HAPPY! You'll have fun researching and shopping for sure 🤗
Randall thanks! Yes I have shot it alot but that's alright I enjoy my other guns as much. I actually have been shooting my Evol Mini alot lately since I tuned to 20fpe. It's so nice at this lower power.

Reactions: Ranchibi
you could do a epic one, to stay with that form factor
An epic 2 in the shortest barrel I believe 300 mm. Should be a doable truck gun. Or a taipan vet 1 Tony may have left over. Just a thought! 😊👍
Lol you guys are going big money for me I'm thinking budget. I have one in mind tha I think I'm going to go for. XM1 Bullshark .177 that id tune to 12fpe.

Something you can beat up and toss around without much concern and still put lead where it needs to be at close range!

-Matt
Yes sir. One I can just leave in my pickup and not worry about it. Also forward cocking for faster follow up shots and at 12fpe .177 being as quiet as they are I expect more follow up shots on other birds.