• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

North East Airgun Classic 2024 Winners Pro Benchrest

I met Mark from Massachusetts at the event. He won 100 Yard Sportsman with his Thomas .22 shooting MRDs at 965fps.

His bench was next to mine - he uses no moderator on his Thomas - 1st shot he took woke me up, lol.

Mark is an AGN member. First time I saw a Thomas in person - incredible. You can tell its quality just by looking at it!

-Ed
Hi Guys
I just came across this thread. Thanks for the kind words. I’m happy to share what I’ve learned over the years. But those of you that know Mike will notice I mimic most everything he says. He and I go way back and has shared lots of info over the years. No secret I’m a big Thomas guy. I have one setup and tuned for every class. Some are very early guns that still are capable of shooting a record anytime. I got the HPX 3 weeks before the match. After about 2 weeks of solid rain and wind. I got to shoot it at length. And that being the first time shooting at 100 yds. A lot of crazy stuff happens to pellets past 75 yards. 25 and 50
Yards are pretty predictable. I do a tremendous amount of testing and gun building. Now that I’m retired I shoot most every day.
Ok to the moderator question. To me it’s simple. Nothing you add to the end of the barrel will improve accuracy. I’ve never seen a tentioned barrel shroud that helps accuracy over time either.
So why the big muzzle brake on the HPX?
It’s to reduce recoil. These high power guns can have a lot of pressure on the valve. On a gun with an external regulator and a valve that sticks open can be a handful. The muzzle brake keeps the gun from flying back at you. Just ask Mike he had a valve stick on a HPX. It broke his nose and knocked him off his stool. So I use them on all my high power guns. I just bought a FX Impact M3 in 30 and 22 cal. I’m testing the 30 now. First thing I did was take the moderator off. It has quite a bark.
Initial results look good at 100 yds.
Hopefully I’ll get my hands on a red panda in 30 and 22 to test soon.

PM me if I can help with anything.
I don’t spend a lot of time on the forums.

Mark