• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Not a Truthful Salesman to be Found

"On one hand I've been blessed to have witnessed Humanity at it's best (in the 1950s till the mid-sixties). On the other hand I'm cursed to be witnessing the moral decay responsible for the downfall of Mankind happening before our very eyes as you read this. You no longer even hear words like honesty, integrity, morals, ethics, respect... or self-respect."

^THIS!^ :oops:

Gentlemen have a little faith… There are lots of good humans out there. The few bad ones get all the press…

Is this the one at Airguns of Arizona? They have one online right now exactly as you described it. If so, they charged $90 to install the kit and $109 for the kit. They have went up and if you bought the kit yourself it would be $129 shipped.

https://www.airgunsofarizona.com/usedguns.html/weihrauch-hw35e-.22-w/installed-vortek-kit-–-used/

Last edited:
Well friends, yesterday I walked into a well-known airgun store with nothing particular on my mind. I was just moseying along when the store's salesman asked if I needed help. Well, I told him that I was just looking for the moment, but that I favored springers. As I was looking some over, he said that he had a special deal on a "good as new" Weihrauch 35E, still in the box. He spun me the story of how his technician put this tiny little scratch on the rifle while installing the customer requested Vortek SHO PG4 tune. He brought it out and had me shoot it a couple of times and saw that I was interested. He tole me that is was in a very unusual walnut stock, as most HW rifles are burch. It shot awfully smooth and the scratch was almost unseen. He told me that he could "give" it to me for a mere $629.00. Now my old, somewhat feeble old mind started sending out alarm signals. Hummm . . . that doesn't seem like such a deal to me. That stock certainly looked liked walnut stained burch to me. He then told me that Vortek had recently raised their prices to well over a hundred dollars. Now I had him, I know that Tom is still selling his kits for $89 - $99. That salesman, at a well-known airgun store, thought me a rube. I may be old, certainly not as quick as I once was, but I still shoot straight when talking to fellow airgunners. I'da made a mighty poor salesman, but I sleep pretty well for an old fart. I could hope that this salesman reads this and regrets trying to mislead me. He may sleep better. Yep, that's the truth. Orv.
Where was this at?

Education is a powerful tool.

Learn something about a product you are interested in then talk to a salesperson. That salesperson should know a lot more about a product than you do, but if you know even only a few things you will either catch that salesperson being honest with you or not and a salesperson trying to snow you on one or two thing will likely try and snow you on more.

If you don't know anything about the product you are interested in but want to test your salesperson, ask about another product you are familiar with and see what kind of answers you get. It may give you insight into the salesperson's character.

They shouldn't be adding their labor into the price, even if they're a dealer. It's just common courtesy. The gun is technically used now that it's been gutted and upgraded. Probably voids any warranty as well.

I see alot of used rifles in the classifieds that have been tuned and everyone expects you to pay for their labor tuning their rifle. Doesn't work like that, should we be paying for your time you spent shooting it too?
So in your mind, is the airgun industry is mutually exclusive from labor costs for custom rifle builds?

So in your mind, is the airgun industry is mutually exclusive from labor costs for custom rifle builds?
Thats how I read this too, this is a huge problem, its as if people don't value other humans time and expertise anymore .......

So if someone does a few upgrades on their gun and then turn around and sell it asking 25-50% more over retail, is that okay? If the work was subbed out sure I guess it could be added, but these are toys and a hobby for most people tinkering on their guns. I look at it as I'm not paying you extra from your playtime.

If it's to make money like Troy Hammer does with buying factory new and doing the upgrades that's marketable.

As for a used item, I don't see how you can justify your time on it. I've sold plenty of rifles I've made custom and tuned. None of them ever sold when I tried to factor in my time. It just doesn't happen.

To add to this: the employee who would be installing the tune kit is already paid a salary. If the company charges xxx for the service, are they giving that money to their employee for it? Nah, theyll just pocket it. Especially since that employee probably isn't being pulled off any major duty anyways... its an airgun store.

Last edited:
Could not say it any better.
88D3BCC1-9648-4500-A250-15415EFECE51.jpeg

Based on your knowledge of the product and current pricing, is the price worth it? And with that knowledge can you buy it and be happy with the purchase or will it bug you every time you think of the money you spent on it?

For some people it's not about how much it costs compared to the enjoyment they get out of the object. They just want it but they do want it to work as advertised with no bs. Unfortunately if there are enough of those people, they keep the prices higher than those who want to pay less.

Either way it can put a bad taste in your mouth when you know the sales man is lying to get the sale. If not hopefully he is just stupid and you are totally aware he is.

Allen

Based on your knowledge of the product and current pricing, is the price worth it? And with that knowledge can you buy it and be happy with the purchase or will it bug you every time you think of the money you spent on it?

For some people it's not about how much it costs compared to the enjoyment they get out of the object. They just want it but they do want it to work as advertised with no bs. Unfortunately if there are enough of those people, they keep the prices higher than those who want to pay less.

Either way it can put a bad taste in your mouth when you know the sales man is lying to get the sale. If not hopefully he is just stupid and you are totally aware he is.

Allen
The HW35E's are $529 new. The kits are $129 shipped not $89 and they charge $90 to install. They give hime $100 off and he says they are trying to rip him off. If its the Store I think it is, which, more and more, I'm pretty sure it is, then they are considered to be a very fair store. Seems like to me that he just doesn't know his prices.

There are plenty of wise replies here.

I'm just surprised that the OP didn't just ask to speak to the manager/owner. That's always solved whatever issues I had with a particular employee.

J~
Y'all mistaken as to my motivation in going into this reputable airgun store. I went in there just browsing . . . looking to maybe purchase a nice used rifle. That's what the salesperson showed me, and that's a nice used rifle. I do take exception to his trying to make this sale at virtually retail value. I may be an old rube, but I'm not stupid. This rifle normally comes with it's own hard case, but not in this case. It had been shot . . . heck, I'd been shooting it after all. Who else. . . don't matter, it's used, after all. The sales clerk told me so. There was no factory warranty, a Vortek, although highly desired, voids any factory warranty. Oh, let me remind y'all, that mark-up walnut stock, well it sure looked like walnut stained burch to me. All that young man had to do was be upfront, stated his "firm" price a bit more reasonable, and just maybe, each of us could'a gone home with a smile on our face that night. But no . . . not with this rube.

Reactions: Mike_Lenardon
Y'all mistaken as to my motivation in going into this reputable airgun store. I went in there just browsing . . . looking to maybe purchase a nice used rifle. That's what the salesperson showed me, and that's a nice used rifle. I do take exception to his trying to make this sale at virtually retail value. I may be an old rube, but I'm not stupid. This rifle normally comes with it's own hard case, but not in this case. It had been shot . . . heck, I'd been shooting it after all. Who else. . . don't matter, it's used, after all. The sales clerk told me so. There was no factory warranty, a Vortek, although highly desired, voids any factory warranty. Oh, let me remind y'all, that mark-up walnut stock, well it sure looked like walnut stained burch to me. All that young man had to do was be upfront, stated his "firm" price a bit more reasonable, and just maybe, each of us could'a gone home with a smile on our face that night. But no . . . not with this rube.
So was it at Airguns of Arizona?

The HW35E's are $529 new. The kits are $129 shipped not $89 and they charge $90 to install. They give hime $100 off and he says they are trying to rip him off. If its the Store I think it is, which, more and more, I'm pretty sure it is, then they are considered to be a very fair store. Seems like to me that he just doesn't know his prices.
Y'alls stuffed with hawse feathers, friend. Just re-checked the Vortek web page and they're still $89. If'n you can't install one yourself, learn, I did. You're right, the rifle does retail for $529. . . but to reiterate, this one is now used and no warranty. By golly I'm not paying for some yoke playing at a Vortek install. Sorry fella, we're looking at the opposit end of the rifle, and I got the butt end at my shoulder on this one, friend.

Reactions: Mike_Lenardon
Y'alls stuffed with hawse feathers, friend. Just re-checked the Vortek web page and they're still $89. If'n you can't install one yourself, learn, I did. You're right, the rifle does retail for $529. . . but to reiterate, this one is now used and no warranty. By golly I'm not paying for some yoke playing at a Vortek install. Sorry fella, we're looking at the opposit end of the rifle, and I got the butt end at my shoulder on this one, friend.
Vortek Tuning sells HW35E HO kits with the piston seal for $129 shipped. I don't know anyone who would buy the kit without the piston seal, especially when Toms is superior to the stock version. I have bought from him many many times and that is the current price as of today. Airguns of Arizona charges $109.99 for the tune kit for that model as of today. AOA are the one's that cover Weihrauch warranties in the US because they are the main distributor. You were right there in the store and could have said. "Hey, since you guys installed a Vortek tune kit in it yourself, will you still cover the warranty." And they would have said yes we do. AOA has installed many over the years and the price has been $90 for installation. It hard to call a salesmen dishonest when you don't really seem to understand what you're talking about.

Lets just agree to disagree. Calling out a salesman, and by inference a retailer, for shady practices when you simply don’t how items are normally priced is bad form IMHO.
R

Reactions: Treefrog and Jlowe