Not happy. Dive shop refused to fill my tank today.

Why don't you just get the correct adaptor? My dive shop has been good to me, half the time they don't charge me for fills because I don't use much air and it is just a top off. If the bottle has been in my hot car and needs to cool down, I leave it overnight, but mostly it just gets filled while I wait. The owner shoots a Talon P, for keeping squirrels from taking over his house. He always has questions about my field target rifles and wants to know if I 've got any pigs lately with the Dragon Claw.

Oh man I understand that all to well. Sometimes I could get my tank filled at the one and only dive shop....and sometimes not.. (long stupid story)
So I bought a hand pump. These portable compressors they have now, they didn't have then... I eventually bought a compressor and all was well. Last year I upgraded to a alkin w31 compressor.. I'm no longer at the mercy of a drive shop and the hand pump is retired.

Have you checked with your local fire department? They might be able to fill your tank for you

Just needed to vent a little. Ha, Ha.
Dive shop, one of only two here, refused to fill my tank because they did not have the right fitting to attach to the tank,
He said if I wanted to purchase it, he would use it to fill the tank. But since I am apparently the first person ever to want a SCBA tank filled
he did not see the value in purchasing the fitting.
He just needed a simple male to female foster fitting.
I just want to shoot my new daystate while I am waiting for the YH to arrive and get it set up.
I suppose I will try dive shop number 2 tomorrow.
So much for customer service.

I feel better.

Doc
Doc,

I suggest a nicely worded Google Maps review is in order for this wonderful vendor. Make sure everyone knows the caliber of this vendor and how they did not meet your needs. Google Map reviews are very important to vendors. Most people consult them first looking for a vendor.

So some of you actually think a DIVE shop opened and operated for servicing the diving community should buy a part for one time use to fill an air tank for a one time customer who is not a dive customer and not using the dive tank for the reason they opened their shop for and then probably never use the part again?? Otherwise they are rude and not meeting their customers request?? What has happened to society where we think everything and everyone must meet our specific needs or they are terrible...........

If you unscrew the foster connection, isn't it a 300 DIN fitting? Dive shops should be able to fill it.
I just went to the AoA site and looked at the Omega 75cf tank. According to the specs it comes with their HP3 valve which only has a male foster fitting. But if you watch the video for that tank they show a different valve that has a DIN 300 outlet that you screw your necessary fitting into for your gun filling needs.
I’m guessing that (maybe) the dive shop guy was able to see that your valve isn’t the DIN 300 variety and he had no way to attach his fill whip to it.
Being you bought a compressor any continuing conversations are moot. But, if anyone else has an HP3 valve all you need for a dive shop to be able to fill a tank with HP3 valve is: Pyramyd Air PY-A-5357 DIN 300 female x female quick connect foster, shown below. The downside of that adapter is if the dive shop guy is careless with his much heavier fill whip line, he can bend or break off the small male foster on your HP3 valve. That would be exciting if the tank valve is open. So a better option would be to leave your micro bore line connected to your HP3 valve and use the Pyramyd Air PY-A-5357 and a PY-A-3550 and screw them together, photos 2 and 3. That way your microbore will tolerate any fill whip mishandling.

37D0BE40-61E7-439F-AD6E-5CDBEA544F4D.png

A8ADAC4D-5ED5-48BA-A67D-CC9526EAC243.jpeg

E257694D-A487-42A8-BBC2-6F8A6D1B3C49.jpeg

Oh man I understand that all to well. Sometimes I could get my tank filled at the one and only dive shop....and sometimes not.. (long stupid story)
So I bought a hand pump. These portable compressors they have now, they didn't have then... I eventually bought a compressor and all was well. Last year I upgraded to a alkin w31 compressor.. I'm no longer at the mercy of a drive shop and the hand pump is retired.

Have you checked with your local fire department? They might be able to fill your tank for you

You in northwest IN? I'll buy you a case of beer for each fill of my 74 cu tank. Better than the $30 the shop charges me. 🤣

Air Supply. And you thought it was just the name of a really crappy music group. Yea showing my age. If you are under 45, google it and moan.
Air supply is the dark side of shooting PCP’s. I wandered into the arena with nary a thought given to air supply only to discover after considerable time researching, there ain’t no easy answer.
I wonder if other shops do a better job of advising up front about feeding your beasts. I know the one I bought my first from never mentioned it. Maybe it was my enthusiasm and rush to get a gun going or some other innocent reason.
It should be the first thing hashed out the second the word PCP is uttered by a potential customer.
I hated air supply until my girlfriend played it. Then I "loved" air supply.. For at least a few hours.

Mike.
Wow. Did you think I was actually angry. Brand new to this and trying to learn. I was just relaying what occured. I did not mean to sound angry to you.
Maybe this guy is a relative of yours? I do not know. Perhaps rereading my post will make you feel better.
I did not use a lot of caps, or exclamation marks, or even call him names like "whiney".
Did not intend for you to take it so personally. I apologize, if that will brighten your day a little.

Peace.

Doc.
It happens on every forum always a M

I have not encountered the issue of the dive shop not having parts to fill tanks. I have encountered rude managers, owners, and employees that do not want to fill my certified, un-expired tanks because of the intended use. In fact, they are quite insulting about the intended use.

I have done extensive research on this. There is no law in the US that supports the dive shops non-acceptance of tanks. In fact, US law specifies a 5 year tank recertification. Dive shops are the ones that created the 1 year recertification. It is simply a "dive shop," thing, a part of the business model.

Why a business would turn away a paying customer is beyond me. It's their right not to accept me as a customer. It's my right to never go back, and I do not.
You’re right, the dive industry did instigate the yearly VIP (Visual Inspection Program) on scuba tanks. But it was done as a matter of safety to protect everyone involved. Yearly VIP’s aren’t done in any commercial places like welding supply stores or even fire stations. Why? First, dive shops are kinda lackadaisical, the personnel can be very aloof and un-regimented and all those kind of descriptions. I worked in one for ten years, I know, I saw it.
But a couple of reasons were industry caused. A lot of dive shops and dive sites used to set tanks in a tub of water to keep them cool while they “jammed” air into them. There were occasions where the fill whip got dunked into the tank and the careless “jug jammer” didn’t crack the valve to blow out the water in the connection fitting. So where did the water go, into the tank. It doesn’t take much water inside steel or aluminum tanks to get the corrosion process started. Another way water got into scuba tanks was poorly maintained compressor filtration equipment. Once the molecular sieve is saturated, the moisture goes down stream to the scuba tank or their bank bottles.
So they instituted an industry policy to cover their piss poor performance, at your expense.
Not trying to pat myself on the back but at the shop I worked part time at for ten years, I made it my job to keep the compressor and filtration and everything to the fill whip in good operating order. I went to Florida for a week to attend a class to learn our brand of compressor from daily maintenance to total rebuild on my dime.
The safest way to fill tanks is in a containment cabinet. While in Florida at the compressor school they had a cabinet on site that was a test. It’s a two tank cabinet. One tank is in the cabinet (scba at 4500psi) and the other one next to it, separated by a divider, is being filled. The burst disk was triple disked so it would not blow. They start pumping air into it until it explodes. The requirement to pass the test is that the other tank cannot be damaged. It was still in the cabinet. The cabinet looked like a typical paint thinner one gallon can that was shot with a bullet, totally bulged, unable to be opened. Problem is for the local dive shop, they are quite expensive. Not all but many fire stations have them, because the tax payer pays for them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Doc C.
UPDATE!!!!
Thank you for all the responses. I was hoping that you folks would help me find a workable solution.
The dive shop is filling the tank as I post this.
I gave the owner a call this morning and we found a solution that works.
He then asked if I was a "shooter" and I carefully replied that I was. He excitedly told me that the local fire station already fills tanks
for at least 2 other shooters. Said that would be an alternative if he was closed because he is currently under winter hours.
So, got my tank filled and found 2 other shooters at the same time.
I was never angry or confrontational with the owner, in fact I left my tank with him overnight so we might figure something out.
So, all is right with the world. I found 2 sources for air while I set up the new YH and wait for hoses and fittings to get it operational.
I not only may have fount 2 more shooters in the area, but I was also able to confirm an urban myth about fire stations, at least this one.
Thank you again for the help.

Doc

You’re right, the dive industry did instigate the yearly VIP (Visual Inspection Program) on scuba tanks. But it was done as a matter of safety to protect everyone involved. Yearly VIP’s aren’t done in any commercial places like welding supply stores or even fire stations. Why? First, dive shops are kinda lackadaisical, the personnel can be very aloof and un-regimented and all those kind of descriptions. I worked in one for ten years, I know, I saw it.
But a couple of reasons were industry caused. A lot of dive shops and dive sites used to set tanks in a tub of water to keep them cool while the “jammed” air into them. There were occasions where the fill whip got dunked into the tank and the careless “jug jammer” didn’t crack the valve to blow out the water in the connection fitting. So where did the water go, into the tank. It doesn’t take much water inside steel or aluminum tanks to get the corrosion process started. Another way water got into scuba tanks was poorly maintained compressor filtration equipment. Once the molecular sieve is saturated, the moisture goes down stream to the scuba tank or their bank bottles.
So they instituted an industry policy to cover their piss poor performance, at your expense.
Not trying to pat myself on the back but at the shop I worked part time at for ten years, I made it my job to keep the compressor and filtration and everything to the fill whip in good operating order. I went to Florida for a week to attend a class to learn our brand of compressor from daily maintenance to total rebuild on my dime.
The safest way to fill tanks is in a containment cabinet. While in Florida at the compressor school they had a cabinet on site that was a test. It’s a two tank cabinet. One tank is in the cabinet (scba at 4500psi) and the other one next to it, separated by a divider, is being filled. The burst disk was triple disked so it would not blow. They start pumping air into until it explodes. The requirement to pass the test is that the other tank cannot be damaged. It was still in the cabinet. The cabinet looked like a typical paint thinner one gallon gan that was shot with a bullet, totally bulged, unable to be opened. Problem is for the local dive shop, they are quite expensive. Not all but many fire stations have them, because the tax payer pays for them.
Thanks res9250. That is interesting information. Good read.

High Pressure Air, HPA, is the most expensive part of PCP shooting. That's where the big investment lies. In the end, everybody gets a compressor and even those that buy a low dollar Chinese special will eventually get a good , high duty cycle compressor and several tanks. There is no shortcut. There is no such thing as low cost HPA.

The best way to shoot PCP is to find a fellow shooter or more and share resources. I would happily fill other shooters tanks for free especially if some beer shows up once in a while.

Reactions: Doc C. and MACTEN