Not happy. Dive shop refused to fill my tank today.

New member here. I just recently found out how far air rifles have come and have decided to go PCP but havent purchased yet.

Seems like you had the same stars in your eyes, do have any regrets getting into PCP's besided filling them?
None at all. In fact just got home about an hour ago from shooting at my friends feed lot. I spent the day dispensing pigeons, Starlings and Sparrows.
I shoot a lot. I would have spent the money up front had I know and been advised about the need and which method best suited me. Being completely new to the sport I never gave it any thought which was absolutely stupid of me. You would think people working in retail would be used to stupid people.
I am currently contemplating a Coltri compressor and another air bottle. II am tired of the 14 mile trip to get the bottle filled. Plus I am planning to add a big bore to the mix and they eat air. Lots of air.

Reactions: skip_tooth_hero
None at all. In fact just got home about an hour ago from shooting at my friends feed lot. I spent the day dispensing pigeons, Starlings and Sparrows.
I shoot a lot. I would have spent the money up front had I know and been advised about the need and which method best suited me. Being completely new to the sport I never gave it any thought which was absolutely stupid of me. You would think people working in retail would be used to stupid people.
I am currently contemplating a Coltri compressor and another air bottle. II am tired of the 14 mile trip to get the bottle filled. Plus I am planning to add a big bore to the mix and they eat air. Lots of air.
Heck yeah, thanks for the reply!

I'm highly considering the Umarex Origin .22, as far as entry level usability
It seems to be the best available platform to keep me shooting.

I got lucky I had to have my tank hydro certified and I actually went to that place.
Filled and certified. The gentleman there said “ you can bring it here to fill. “ he fills to a cooled 4500 psi

I tried the fire station. That didn’t go over well. “ I have some airguns to fill can you help me out ??”

I’m sure my wording had something to do with it. But they looked at me like I was a criminal

I’ll stick with the hydro guy !

Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1
I got lucky I had to have my tank hydro certified and I actually went to that place.
Filled and certified. The gentleman there said “ you can bring it here to fill. “ he fills to a cooled 4500 psi

I tried the fire station. That didn’t go over well. “ I have some airguns to fill can you help me out ??”

I’m sure my wording had something to do with it. But they looked at me like I was a criminal

I’ll stick with the hydro guy !
I'm gunna try the fire stations, when I get a big bottle 😆 and just have them fill that. No mention of reason

If you have a local Fire Safety that services fire extinguishers check them. That’s where I had mine done till I got a compressor. They fill my bottle for 7$. But there again you might need to have the adapter. Probably the cheapest thing we could buy in this hobby.
Does “Fire Safety” mean Fire Station or does it mean Fire Safety Supply service like a privately owned business?

This is a locality owned business that sells and services Fire Extinguishers and other safety equipment.
Thank you for clarifying, that’s what I thought.

@Perle I read your comment and was like oh ffs how are people this retar**d!?! And then realized I was the dumba55 for reading that seriously…. Lol

• Haha
I tried to get my tank filled in Wisconsin at a dive shop and they wouldn't fill it unless I took there dive class I told them I d write on the tank not for diving or sign a waiver and it was still a no go without the diving class
I ran into the same problem in Onalaska. The shop owner was a complete idiot.

Why don't you just get the correct adaptor? My dive shop has been good to me, half the time they don't charge me for fills because I don't use much air and it is just a top off. If the bottle has been in my hot car and needs to cool down, I leave it overnight, but mostly it just gets filled while I wait. The owner shoots a Talon P, for keeping squirrels from taking over his house. He always has questions about my field target rifles and wants to know if I 've got any pigs lately with the Dragon Claw.
That’s what I was thinking why not just get the adapter

I'm gunna try the fire stations, when I get a big bottle 😆 and just have them fill that. No mention of reason
The two local municipal fire stations near me will not refill scuba tanks due to liability legal concerns. I suspect most fire departments won't refill tanks. It never hurts to ask, but you'd be probably be wasting your time

Last edited:
The two local municipal fire stations near me will not refill scuba tanks due to liability legal concerns. I suspect most fire departments won't refill tanks. But it never hurts to ask.
Yes it does… Please tell me you’re trolling and you didn’t actually just walk into a station without knowing anyone there. Am I missing something? This seems so insane that anyone would think it’s acceptable to use a firehouse.

Yes it does… Please tell me you’re trolling and you didn’t actually just walk into a station without knowing anyone there. Am I missing something? This seems so insane that anyone would think it’s acceptable to use a firehouse.
My buddy walked into both, and his business does work for the departments. Captain told him politely that they do not fill tanks, so no, I'm not trolling. Just giving fair warning.

Reactions: Bernie7