Not happy. Dive shop refused to fill my tank today.

My buddy walked into both, and his business does work for the departments. Captain told him politely that they do not fill tanks, so no, I'm not trolling. Just giving fair warning.
There was an established relationship there which makes an huge difference in the level of acceptability (and they still said no). Please stop giving people the idea that they can walk into a firehouse and just ask for a fill.

I went through all this stuff five years ago trying to get my tank filled. There are a lot of narrow minded people in the world and I try to not deal with them if at all possible. Compressors are getting more and more affordable now. Yung Hen, GX, Omega and other have compressors in the sub $1000 mark. I have two Omega compressors and they are highly recommended. The Omega Aircharger has over 60 hours on it and going strong. Fills tanks all day long. I purchased the Omega Trail charger as a backup / portable compressor. Works like a Boss. I can take it to the range or my friends house, works great and fills tanks as well. Being air independent is recommended.

Reactions: Beer Nap
In Norway where I live, tanks can be inspected, stamped, and approved for industrial use, for 5 years. That means they are not approved for diving, or used for the intention as breathing air, but for industrial work. You can then fill them at any diving shop, without the need for a diver sertificate (as long as the aproved date is not overdue). Filling them at fire stations, all depends on the local station itself. The local fire department where I live, would not fill tanks. But if I drove 30 minutes to the neighbour town, they would fill them for aprox a 5 dollar fee.