Umarex Notos and Bug Buster

My shoebox compressor came today so I aired up my Notos and set out to zero in my Bug Buster 3-9x32. This is my first PCP, and I am having a bit of a difficult time with the eye relief on the Bug Buster - I may need to sort out mounts to bring it back further.

It seemed like it was fairly easy to zero I at 12 yards, but I noticed that it was getting pretty inconsistent - especially if I changed my magnification lower then back to higher.

I realize they aren’t premium glass, but are big busters notorious for not holding zero with magnification changes? I’m more of an iron sights guy, so trying to figure out where my issue is.

Thanks!

I’ve never used one, but something to consider is the adjustment of the parallax and the diopter.

Thanks - i know my parallax adjustment is correct because the target is in focus. But it’s completely possible my hold isn’t consistent enough in terms of eye position. What’s odd is I had it really dialed in, but then it drifted. It’s dark now, I need to get more rounds in tomorrow.

Reactions: sekiar
My shoebox compressor came today so I aired up my Notos and set out to zero in my Bug Buster 3-9x32. This is my first PCP, and I am having a bit of a difficult time with the eye relief on the Bug Buster - I may need to sort out mounts to bring it back further.

It seemed like it was fairly easy to zero I at 12 yards, but I noticed that it was getting pretty inconsistent - especially if I changed my magnification lower then back to higher.

I realize they aren’t premium glass, but are big busters notorious for not holding zero with magnification changes? I’m more of an iron sights guy, so trying to figure out where my issue is.

Thanks!
I got the open sights for mine and pistol grip.. I wouldn't call them iron sights 🤣 but close enough.. the gap in the rear sight is a little bit wide for me as a pistol.. but my biggest issue is that the moderator doesn't unscrew and make a more compact pistol..
should have gotten a attaman ap16 compact.. and wish I had the money for the huben gk1 pistol.. but both are out of reach for now.. so I settled for what I could pay for..
still planning on shorten the barrel with the moderator insert inside the shroud so it will still be quiet and a lot more compact.. just haven't had time yet..
never used the bug buster scopes.. but I consider my pistol to be fairly accurate since I can put a magazine worth on the 3" spinner at 30 yards.. is what it is..

Mark

Reactions: SteveV and mjb206
I had a Bug Buster 3x12x32 on mine but found I like my red dot on it better. I too had trouble with POI changing power changes. They work pretty good if you keep them on one setting. I only use the Notos up to about 35 yds. max now so it works quite well for that. I can still hit a rat at 35 yds. so I'm good with that.

The bugbuster is a fantastic scope for the money, I HATE SFP but at 125 with side focus down to 3 yards and pretty clear glass, it can't be beat.
The model I have doesn’t have side focus - it’s on the front. The glass seems decent and it feels really solidly built. But I suspect the POI is changing when I change magnification. I’m going to try and experiment with it this afternoon.

The model I have doesn’t have side focus - it’s on the front. The glass seems decent and it feels really solidly built. But I suspect the POI is changing when I change magnification. I’m going to try and experiment with it this afternoon.
It is , the scope is a second focal plane, this is why I hate sfp. Hold overs change when changing magnification.

Reactions: mjb206
It is , the scope is a second focal plane, this is why I hate sfp. Hold overs change when changing magnification.
What about when going back to the original magnification? Let’s say i sight it in at 7x. Then move to 9x (I expect it to be off). If I dial the power back to 7x….should it still be zeroed? (Guessing no guarantee with cheap glass?)

What about when going back to the original magnification? Let’s say i sight it in at 7x. Then move to 9x (I expect it to be off). If I dial the power back to 7x….should it still be zeroed? (Guessing no guarantee with cheap glass?)
It should still be zerod yes, glass has nothing to do with being zerod however if you are not adjusting the parallax for each distance the POI will be off from POA.

It should still be zerod yes, glass has nothing to do with being zerod however if you are not adjusting the parallax for each distance the POI will be off from POA.
I wasn't changing distances, only magnification, so I wasn't adjusting the parallax. That said, I may not have returned it to the *exact* same magnification spot. I may mark it with a pencil today for experimentation purposes. It wasn't just off by a little - it was off by a couple of inches.

I have a Bug Buster 3-9x32 on my HW50S and I've not encountered any changing zero with changes in magnification. I'll be interested in your thoughts on the gun and optic combination, as I've also decided that my first PCP will be a Notos, and I have a spare Bug Buster I'll be mounting on it.
If it doesn't rain today, I'm going to try and get a few rounds in to experiment. I will say for me, the short eye relief of the Bug Buster is a bit tough on the Notos. I may try a set of offset rings to move the scope back some as I'm having to push forward more than I'm accustomed to. I do love the Notos, though. It's my first PCP as well. I think it was a good choice. I have the Plenum and new Moderator on the way, so I'll be doing some tinkering with it at some point soon.

Reactions: Northwoods22
its a bug buster?
my bug buster has the side parallax.
post a pick:)

its a bug buster?
my bug buster has the side parallax.
post a pick:)
This is mine. The side dial turns the red/green reticle on and off. Parallax adjustment is at the front.

Naturally it rained today so I didn’t get a chance to fiddle with it.

IMG_2488.png

Reactions: pan60