notos maple/carm mag sun damage? wtf?!

i’m beginning to think the oem mags are better for the price per mag vs printed ones. i never had any problems with the oem mags. these printed ones are priced too high for how easily they can be ruined under sunlight .
They need to be carbon filled. I had these hunterTACtical mags that were for the fx impact (company is no longer up due to other situations). But I tested them with our florida heat and they never warped, never expanded,, got damaged or anything. Those were my go to mags for shooting slugs.

Reactions: uladz
i’m beginning to think the oem mags are better for the price per mag vs printed ones. i never had any problems with the oem mags. these printed ones are priced too high for how easily they can be ruined under sunlight .
If OEM mags are working fine then there is not much reason I guess. Unless you want to get a higher capacity mags. But if OEM mags are crap (like in AEA case) or not available any longer (for WAR rifles for example) getting 3rd party mags is the only way. Some companies are making aluminum machined mags, which are always the best option but also the most expensive.

They need to be carbon filled. I had these hunterTACtical mags that were for the fx impact (company is no longer up due to other situations). But I tested them with our florida heat and they never warped, never expanded,, got damaged or anything. Those were my go to mags for shooting slugs.
I second @JaceSpace1369, carbon fiber reinforced PETG is the way to go. It is probably the best, strongest, and the most stable filament. I know that printed barrel bands are using this material often, if not then better not use such bands :). I don't think that Maple and Carm are using fiber reinforced PETG in the mags, which is a shame, as we can see from your example. Pitty that hunterTACtical is out of business.

Reactions: JaceSpace1369
If OEM mags are working fine then there is not much reason I guess. Unless you want to get a higher capacity mags. But if OEM mags are crap (like in AEA case) or not available any longer (for WAR rifles for example) getting 3rd party mags is the only way. Some companies are making aluminum machined mags, which are always the best option but also the most expensive.
I've heard of many others having issues with the oem mags on top of the low show count. I've also recommended them these maple ones cause they seem to work well, but I believe @Firewalker is making some of his own.

i got a printed one just to see what the hooha was about. they work nice, just that nobody really said anything about the downside of these mags. on that note, does anybody have any oem mags they don’t want? or faulty oem mags? 😅

I've heard of many others having issues with the oem mags on top of the low show count. I've also recommended them these maple ones cause they seem to work well, but I believe @Firewalker is making some of his own.
We'll need input from @Firewalker here :). If you have a quality 3D printer and the STL file in your hands, it's not that hard to print your own mags. You'll need to source a spring, some screws, rivets, and possibly an O-ring. So, it's not that straight forward process either. The main investment is to design STL file, so the final mag fits properly and actually works without jams. And it takes a lot of time, trial, and error.

i got a printed one just to see what the hooha was about. they work nice, just that nobody really said anything about the downside of these mags. on that note, does anybody have any oem mags they don’t want? or faulty oem mags? 😅
Wish I could help, sorry man, none on hands. Post WTB ad for the OEM Notos mags, someone will have them for you.

Reactions: daddypaddy
i think peoples issues with the oem mags aren’t as common as it’s made out to be. usually the mags are totally considered junk when people try to “fix” or make adjustments, but instead, make a mistake and then are unable to return it to working condition.

Reactions: JaceSpace1369
Hi OP,

Thank you for bringing this concern to our attention. I would like to clarify a few points:

1. The magazine you received was from our very first batch, produced in August 2023. These were printed using PLA, which can withstand temperatures up to 57°C (134°F) before deforming.
  2. In September 2023, after receiving feedback about warped magazines left in the sun, hot cars, or dryers, we switched to PETG material. All magazines sold after September 2023 are made with PETG, which can withstand temperatures up to 78°C (172°F) without deforming.
  3. We stand behind every magazine we sell and have issued replacements in all cases of deformation.
  4. We responded to your message on eBay yesterday with a proposed solution. Please let us know if you have not received our response.
We hope this helps clarify the situation.

Best regards,
Jay from Maple Custom Products

Last edited:
Hi OP,

Thank you for bringing this concern to our attention. I would like to clarify a few points:

1. The magazine you received was from our very first batch, produced in August 2023. These were printed using PLA, which can withstand temperatures up to 57°C (134°F) before deforming.
  2. In September 2023, after receiving feedback about warped magazines left in the sun, hot cars, or dryers, we switched to PETG material. All magazines sold after September 2023 are made with PETG, which can withstand temperatures up to 78°C (172°F) without deforming.
  3. We stand behind every magazine we sell and have issued replacements in all cases of deformation.
  4. We responded to your message on eBay yesterday with a proposed solution. Please let us know if you have not received our response.
We hope this helps clarify the situation.

Best regards,
Jay from Maple Custom Products
much appreciation for the timely response. i saw the proposed solution and have taken the necessary steps to resolve the issue.