Umarex Notos Porting

springs are not the most constant things in the world. their tolerances are not exact, more like between here and here.
might be that both of you are correct in your approach but the differences in the energy in the springs storage and release are different. springs wear out too.

sorry, i’m not a math guy. i’m just a dude who’s been told i have a knack for stopping smart people from overthinking.

Yeah, but in my mind, the rate of acceleration is not a constant. You can’t just plug in a number like you could if acceleration were constant. I only get that from F=ma and the force is constantly changing.

Dave

You talking about jerk?

Definitely some calculus required there, which is beyond my math skills. Using a velocity that favors final a bit more than average seems like a reasonable approach seeing as we're dealing with MS and the difference from using 2/3 velocity vs 3/4 velocity is negligible for simple estimation, but using 1/2 final velocity probably isn't ideal.

You can simplify this formula in your sheet btw caliusoptimus, my head already hurts enough! Lol

=0.5*D30*(E26-E28)*(E26-E28)
=0.5*D30*(E26-E28)^2

I modified the above formula to accept hammer travel and pre-load which from the two, you can derive free spring length, decocked spring length and cocked spring length, thus requiring less inputs and being a bit more friendly as I find those measurements easier to come by.

springs are not the most constant things in the world. their tolerances are not exact, more like between here and here.
might be that both of you are correct in your approach but the differences in the energy in the springs storage and release are different. springs wear out too.

sorry, i’m not a math guy. i’m just a dude who’s been told i have a knack for stopping smart people from overthinking.

Yea, technically the math here should require more inputs, a lot more, from spring mass, to its oscillations, to air resistance, effect of gravity, co-efficient of friction. The only one I included originally in mine was the force of gravity acting upon the hammer velocity.

-Matt

Last edited:
Reactions: sb327
This guy is calculating the time with non-constant force afiak.

1726674652203.png

-Matt

Last edited:
Reactions: sb327