Umarex Notos wandering POI

Hey everyone,

Long time lurker here but first post, just registered for this one (I enjoy reading all the great stuff going on here and all the hacks being discussed but prefer to keep my silence unless I encounter something I really can’t figure out…).

Finally gave in and got a notos a couple of weeks ago, having tons of fun with it! Didn’t do anything to it yet other than trigger. Started to take it out a bit further these days to 50 yards and noticed that the POI is shifting notably between sessions. Took it back to 30 yards to confirm (with paying more attention to the shift) and it indeed does!

I have a westhunter FFP on it and grouping is very nice at 30 yards, quarter size with jts 18.1 as well as hades. POI is holding while shooting, doing 15ish shots until topping off. POI holding between fills. But when I put the gun aside for a day or even a couple of hours, POI shifts. Half an inch or maybe a bit more at 30 yards, new zero typically needs 0.5-0.8 mil up and 0.2-0.3 mil to the left or opposite, basically bouncing back and forth between those POIs (no change of conditions). Groups remain nice and tight, just in a different spot… It’s the same with both single shot tray and mag (maple mag). All screws are tight. Any ideas? Thank y’all in advance!

As Luis recommended above. If you haven't cleaned the barrel you definitely should. I was lucky enough to go check out a couple and cleaned the barrels of 2 of them after shooting them, the clean barrel made a noticeable difference in accuracy, barrels still had preservatives in them. I just cleaned the barrel again this morning. I used a Patchworm kit with felt buttons soaked in Ballistol then rub buttons on dry paper towels to remove excess Ballistol, then 3 dry patches.

Have you tried mounting a different scope? Maybe its the scope… Give that a try and if the wandering POI continues then you can eliminate that variable… Good luck…
Haven’t tried a different scope yet because I had this one on another gun and never had any issues with POI shifting around. Fair point though, maybe it simply doesn’t like the motors… will try another and see what it does. Thanks!

Reactions: L.Leon
As Luis recommended above. If you haven't cleaned the barrel you definitely should. I was lucky enough to go check out a couple and cleaned the barrels of 2 of them after shooting them, the clean barrel made a noticeable difference in accuracy, barrels still had preservatives in them. I just cleaned the barrel again this morning. I used a Patchworm kit with felt buttons soaked in Ballistol then rub buttons on dry paper towels to remove excess Ballistol, then 3 dry patches.
That’s a very good point. Didn’t clean it yet cause I didn’t expect it to be surgically precise and it grouped nicely right out of the box anyway. Just wanted to start plinking and decrease the squirrel population in my backyard (which it does very well even with the POI issue…) so only dealt with the trigger. Typing this out makes me feel stupid though, takes 5 minutes to clean a barrel properly…

Reactions: Ranchibi
That’s a very good point. Didn’t clean it yet cause I didn’t expect it to be surgically precise and it grouped nicely right out of the box anyway. Just wanted to start plinking and decrease the squirrel population in my backyard (which it does very well even with the POI issue…) so only dealt with the trigger. Typing this out makes me feel stupid though, takes 5 minutes to clean a barrel properly…
Well, you are probably in for a treat! Mine was shooting good before cleaning the barrel the first time then after it was hole in hole @ 20yds...yours is more accurate than mine before cleaning but now needs a proper cleaning and will get back to shooting amazing!

Reactions: L.Leon
Slap that scope left and fire a few shots.

Slap that scope right and shoot a few shots.

If it moves, remove the scope, remove the top cap screw (2.5mm) and tighten the bottom grub (2mm) but dont overdo it. Replace and torque the top cap screw.

When putting the scope on, remove the rings from the scope, set the bases on the pic rail, set to 20-25 inch pounds, add scope, add caps and torque to 15-18 inch pounds.

Repeat the first and second sentence.

• Love
Reactions: L.Leon and Rizz01
Slap that scope left and fire a few shots.

Slap that scope right and shoot a few shots.

If it moves, remove the scope, remove the top cap screw (2.5mm) and tighten the bottom grub (2mm) but dont overdo it. Replace and torque the top cap screw.

When putting the scope on, remove the rings from the scope, set the bases on the pic rail, set to 20-25 inch pounds, add scope, add caps and torque to 15-18 inch pounds.

Repeat the first and second sentence.
Thanks man, appreciate it! Another thing for tomorrow! Clean barrel first, then follow your fool proof description, if it’s still happening slap another scope on and see what it does!

• Haha
Reactions: Firewalker
My first Notos was defective, the barrel was wiggling all around. Umarex sent me a replacement, it's better. Well, good enough for controlling chipmunks in wife's vegetable beds. But I think the way how they attach barrel to action is subpar in principle. Maybe your Notos has that same defect like my did, but at a lesser scale.

The PP750 is the predecessor to the Notos, it has a solid, huge diameter barrel that is screwed into the receiver block.

The Notos design abandoned that for cost savings.

Reactions: vtl
Update: cleaned the barrel (ran 25 patches or so through it, jfc…) and 50ish pellets later the hades are drilling 1 hole groups at 20 yards.

Also followed your suggestion, @Firewalker, didn’t shift one bit.

Will let it sit for a bit and see what what it does in the afternoon. If the zero/POI moves I’ll swap scopes.

As for the comments re the notos not being worth it’s price tag… couldn’t disagree more, if it holds the POI now and keeps giving me less than quarter size groups at 30 and maybe a little below 1 quarter at 50 I’ll get 2 more just to have different setups on hand…

Reactions: Ranchibi
My first Notos was defective, the barrel was wiggling all around. Umarex sent me a replacement, it's better. Well, good enough for controlling chipmunks in wife's vegetable beds. But I think the way how they attach barrel to action is subpar in principle. Maybe your Notos has that same defect like my did, but at a lesser scale.
shooting pretty sweet right now after cleaning the barrel but if poi shifts again and swapping scopes doesn’t help either I guess I’ll reach out to them. Thanks!!

Pic of 4 groups of 5 shots each @20 yards:
IMG_3684.jpeg