NSA .20/18.9 expansion experiment

To add on to this.....

And as I commented that I'd test here....https://www.airgunnation.com/threads/hollowpoint-skiving-serration-on-slugs.1316203/

Credit to @Motorhead as I saw him do it first and shared about it online a couple years ago...

I started shooting these .20/18.9s not long after they came out, and struck slug gold! Absolutely amazing slug. Theyve become my número uno for prairie dog pesting at a couple of the areas (where there's nothing behind the dog colony). As I've noted though, they tend to poke a hole versus dead-right-there a pest. I've had them go clean through big euro doves, wing joints included. And they usually go through and through the dogs and keep bouncing, kicking up dust like a rock skipping on water. Even a head shot on a dog out to 100yards doesn't stop the slug. So I've always assumed very minimal, if any expansion.

After the discussion a few days ago I decided to give the ole Motorhead Phillips tip a go.

A Ph-1 was the ticket. There was concern raised about base deformation when using a hammer and hard table, etc. So I just pushed them against my thumb. I'd rather they stay accurate, even if it means no expansion, so wasn't too keen on the idea of doing something to them that would make them shoot less accurately.

Made myself about 40 of them in just a couple minutes.
Here are the first couple.

PXL_20240730_030037822.jpg

First order of business...are they still accurate?
This pipe is at 95 yards on my back irrigation berms. This is three shots (whiter marks above and right are bird crap).
PXL_20240730_161337645.jpg

Yep, still accurate!

First experiment......
I figured a liquid laundry detergent bottle full of water would be sufficient to stop them. Thick plastic and about 6 inches of water....I was also mostly curious about long range effect so placed the jug at 95 yards. Shot it three times, kaWHOP, kaWHOP, kaWHOP. Went downrange.....and all three went through both sides of the detergent jug and kept on going.....quite surprised that six inches of water and two thick plastic sides didn't stop them.

Second experiment.....
Maybe more water? Filled two 1 gallon zip lock bags with water, nearly to bursting, and laid them down, one in front of the other at 95yards. Only shot once here. Went through both bags! This was around 10-12 inches of water. KaTHUMP on impact!!!! Interesting thing to not here is that the final layer of Iplock baggie has two holes in it, so a petal had to have broken off in the water of the second bag.

Third experiment.....
Bars of soap, set them down, front to back, at 93-94 yards.
PXL_20240730_220017059.jpg

Took one shot with a Phillips head slug and gathered up the soap. The shot was a bit off center...but served to contain the slug. It was just barely stopped by the fifth bar.

This is the wound channel....
Slug travel is top to bottom here.
PXL_20240730_220647615.jpg

Slightly different angle, slug travel is again top to bottom, can just barely see the slug in the closest bar.
PXL_20240730_220657029.jpg

Slug travel is bottom to top in this photo..
PXL_20240730_220720043.jpg

And now we need a control.....ie what does a non-Philips head slug do in the same conditions? So i had to take two shots here as the first one hit a bit high and figured it'd miss the soap bars. You can see both holes here....

PXL_20240730_221500196.jpg

Here is the wound channel for the non-Philips....
Your can see the high shot grazed the first couple bars but it missed the later bars and kept going. Slug travel is top to bottom here. This unmodified slug also stopped in the fifth bar, and just started to bulge out he far aside of the fifth bar.

PXL_20240730_221859016.jpg
PXL_20240730_221906945.jpg

Left is the slug that was shot without modification. Right is the Phillips head slug.
PXL_20240730_222312829.LONG_EXPOSURE-01.COVER.jpg

And a close up of the expansion...
PXL_20240730_222503203.jpg

Quite obvious that they'll expand more when aided by the Philips. Since my Phillip indentations were quite shallow, I can only assume they'd get a full petal if the Phillips marks were deeper into the head of the slug. Seems like I remember Scott may have even shared that the four edges of his Phillips bit to make it deeper.

So, of you want expansion, this seems the easy/cheap way to get it. The fact that it doesn't ruin accuracy is the best part.

Super fun experiment.

PXL_20240730_221511508.jpg

Really neat idea you had. Your expansion, relative to mine, is much more impressive. I'm assuming it's because I didn't make as deep of indentations with the Philips. Am I remembering correctly that you sharpened each of the four wedges on the Phillips?

Indeed the 4 cuts or indented notches are more pronounced. Pending caliber slug done, YES the phillips tip size did change and one tip was thinned as i recall. Original post here : NSA Mushroom Mod

Shot some prairie dogs with the Philips head slugs this evening. Had maybe 30 of them left and had a couple head shots....bone crushing is the sound that comes to mind....imagine squishing a gourd on concrete. Also had some body shots. Generally, the Phillips head slugs seemed to be hitting the off switch easier than the unmodified. And when I ran out of the Phillips head I confirmed that, as I had more "walkers" with good vital shots from the unmodified than I was having from the Philips. The "walkers" always keel over dead within 15-20 feet, usually they walk stiff-legged and then just roll over. I didn't have any of that dead-dog walking syndrome with the Philips, they just fell over when the slug hit em.

I'm a fan.

Last edited:
Couldn't leave it alone....

Sharpened the four vanes of the Philips and was able to make deeper grooves, still just pushing against my thumb so no deformation of the base.

Here's a couple...
Screenshot_20240731-210418.png

And fired one of the newest iteration into a five gallon bucket full to the brim.

So left to right is: unmodified into soap @ 93 yards, slight Philips indentations into soap at 93 yards, deep indentations into 5 gallon bucket at 2 feet from muzzle...
PXL_20240801_040933014.jpg

PXL_20240801_040951171.jpg

And yes it does have a somewhat square shape, photo taken from perspective of the base of the pellet shows how it petaled along the four indentations.
PXL_20240801_041132349.jpg

Pretty sweet!