NSA .20/18.9grain slug results

Learned something interesting about these .20/18.9grain slugs in the last few days....

I mapped out actual trajectory from 20-100 in 5 yard increments with them going 865-870 and then compared what I had to Strelok. It needed a BC of 0.07 to line up.

I then mapped out actual trajectory from 30-100 (but only in 10 yard increments here) with them going 910-915. Comparing that trajectory arc to Strelok required a BC of 0.09 for actual to match predicted.

I've mostly shot them closer to 870-880 prior to this, always using a BC of 0.09. It appears that right around 865-870 there's exists a node of sorts where the BC isn't as high as when they're going faster.

A friend also shooting them is seeing a BC of 0.1, although it seems he's mostly shot them a bit higher yet, 920-930, if I follow him accurately.

Now, I understand that a the ballisticians amongst us will say that a BC shouldn't change with speed. But sorry, in the real world it does. And yes, that means the reference drag law isn't ideal for the projectile, but we work with with we've got.

The difference in speed (and therefore BC in this case) is that at 100 yards they need 2.6 mils of elevation with the 865-870. And they need 1.8mils of elevation at 910-915. Same scope zero of about 65 yards for both.

Reactions: dv8eod
If the BC values you are using are based on G1, as the speeds increase above 880 ft/sec, then the BC will tend to increase. It would be interesting to hear if the same happens with SLG0 as it was an attempt to produce a reference curve which did not change so much at the higher speeds.

Thanks Miles.

Because I'm working backwards from actual trajectory, and then playing around with the BC in Strelok til it matches, it would be whatever Strelok's default drag law is. (I'm not seeing a way to change it in the version I have).

If I had some downrange fps collected for each of the two starting speeds, I'd plug those values into EasyBC where I could change from G1 to SLGO0.

On page one of this discussion (months ago) I shared some screen grabs from EasyBC, using a starting fps of 882. For G1 BC was 0.092 and for SLG0 it was 0.095. That was uncorrected for elevation though.

Funny thing about the altitude correction, if I use the altitude-corected BCs the software spits out, the trajectory arc doesn't match actual. That was with them in that 875-880ramge I've mostly shot them at. Time will tell if it holds true for my new speeds of 910-915. So far 0.09 is what I need, even with new speeds, for true arc to match predicted, at least out to the 100yards that I've so far tested the new speed.

Just took them to a new longest yet range, lasered 296 yards. Strelok tells me 192 clicks, @ 1/10th mil each so 19.2 mils. And I'm using 10 mils of turret clicks and another 9.5ish of holdover so a whole lot of ish here.

Strelok also says they should have about 15fpe still left at this distance.

And the dang things are staying in a roughly basketball sized desired impact point, repeatedly! Yeah that's not any sort of amazing precision, but for such a tiny pill and such a long range, I'd sure have a hard time believing even this was possible if I wasn't seeing it happen.

Pretty interesting!
Did you guys know that Zan is now producing .20 too! 15/20/25 grain!
I have a couple .20 PCPs and the only slugs I've tried were the 14 NSA and didn't have great results! Thinking on ordering some 15/20 grain Zan and giving it another go.
My best candidate is a Daystate huntsman regal that at the moment is shooting the 15.89 JSBs at 890 fps but I can still increase the power a bit more!

Reactions: Franklink
Pretty interesting!
Did you guys know that Zan is now producing .20 too! 15/20/25 grain!
I have a couple .20 PCPs and the only slugs I've tried were the 14 NSA and didn't have great results! Thinking on ordering some 15/20 grain Zan and giving it another go.
My best candidate is a Daystate huntsman regal that at the moment is shooting the 15.89 JSBs at 890 fps but I can still increase the power a bit more!

Please let us know how the Zans shoot. I suspect the 25grain will be a little long for typical airgun barrel twist rates, but I'm still curious to see some real-world results.

Please let us know how the Zans shoot. I suspect the 25grain will be a little long for typical airgun barrel twist rates, but I'm still curious to see some real-world results.
You may get away with normal twist rates, the slugs have a large hollow in the base which will shift the CG forward, helping you to get maybe sufficient stability. It is not just the length of the slug, it is also the inertias and the positions of the CG and centre of pressure.