Ok I got the 2240. Now what?

Alright, on y'alls word I added a 2240 to my collection. I found it to be reasonably powerful, and accurate. So here's the but.
The sights are aweful, and unable to reach zero. The best zero I can manage is two inches or so to the right. It consistently hits the paddle to the right of the one I'm shooting at, on my Crazy Eights target. So it needs after market sights, and the Intermounts that fit my H9A, don't fit the 2240.
BTW my H9A has the same problem, but is shooting left.
Another thing I'm not comfortable with is the cap to the cartridge chamber. It is very tight, and requires even more, each time to release the CO2. I'm afraid it's going get bugered up, as I have to get on it with a screw driver.

20230609_001234.jpg

Last edited:
I installed the steel breech with the LPA adjustable sight on my 2240. Works great, nice sight, and the breech is optics ready. I noticed a bit of stiffness when trying to unscrew the cap when I was done shooting as well. Lubricated the threads with white lithium grease and it's much easier to unscrew.

Bought the the breech and LPA sight from PA.

PY-A-5376_Crosman-22-Cal-Steel_1508876816.jpg

Alright, on y'alls word I added a 2240 to my collection. I found it to be reasonably powerful, and accurate. So here's the but.
The sights are aweful, and unable to reach zero. The best zero I can manage is two inches or so to the right. It consistently hits the paddle to the right of the one I'm shooting at, on my Crazy Eights target. So it needs after market sights and the Intermounts that fit my H9A, don't fit the 2240.
BTW my H9A has the same problem, but is shooting left.
Another thing I'm not comfortable with is the cap to the cartridge chamber. It is very tight, and requires even more, each time to release the CO2. I'm afraid it's going get bugered up, as I have to get on it with a screw driver.

View attachment 367727
Get a steel breech for it; they are grooved for scope mounts. That way you could put a red dot, other scope or adjustable target sights on it.

The cap is tight when it’s under pressure. Completely shoot the gas out before attempting to take the cap off. It also helps to let the pistol warm up a little after shooting before removing the cap as well.

Reactions: .20calguy
Steel breech first... and if you want inspiration, check out this. Roy is great to work with. Been using him for 13 and 22xx parts for years.
Get a steel breech for it; they are grooved for scope mounts. That way you could put a red dot, other scope or adjustable target sights on it.

The cap is tight when it’s under pressure. Completely shoot the gas out before attempting to take the cap off. It also helps to let the pistol warm up a little after shooting before removing the cap as well.
The problem isn't removing the cap as much as getting it tight enough to release the CO2. I have to get on it with a big screw driver.
I've got some suggestions here to try on it. We'll see what works.

The problem isn't removing the cap as much as getting it tight enough to release the CO2. I have to get on it with a big screw driver.
I've got some suggestions here to try on it. We'll see what works.
Don't know if things have changed with current production guns, but with my 2240 you screw the cap in finger tight, then you cock the gun and pull the trigger to pierce the C02 cartridge.

Last edited:
from the crosman manual:
Pull the filler assembly from the action tube and remove the empty CO2 cartridge (if any) by pointing the muzzle of the airgun down. • Insert the new CO2 cartridge into the airgun with the small neck of the CO2 cartridge into the action tube first. (Fig. 3) • Replace the filler cap assembly in the action tube. Screw the filler cap completely into place until finger tight only. • Cock the bolt by pushing the bolt handle up and pulling it all the way back until you hear two clicks. Close the bolt and push the bolt handle down to lock. • Point the airgun in a SAFE DIRECTION, take "OFF SAFE" (See Section 2B) and pull the trigger. If the airgun does not make a popping noise after pulling the trigger, the CO2 is not being discharged. In that event, tighten the filler cap slightly and repeat cocking the bolt and firing the airgun until there is a popping noise, which will mean the airgun is releasing CO2 with each pull of the trigger.

from the crosman manual:
Pull the filler assembly from the action tube and remove the empty CO2 cartridge (if any) by pointing the muzzle of the airgun down. • Insert the new CO2 cartridge into the airgun with the small neck of the CO2 cartridge into the action tube first. (Fig. 3) • Replace the filler cap assembly in the action tube. Screw the filler cap completely into place until finger tight only. • Cock the bolt by pushing the bolt handle up and pulling it all the way back until you hear two clicks. Close the bolt and push the bolt handle down to lock. • Point the airgun in a SAFE DIRECTION, take "OFF SAFE" (See Section 2B) and pull the trigger. If the airgun does not make a popping noise after pulling the trigger, the CO2 is not being discharged. In that event, tighten the filler cap slightly and repeat cocking the bolt and firing the airgun until there is a popping noise, which will mean the airgun is releasing CO2 with each pull of the trigger.
Finger tight huh?
Well that, and a very hard turn with a heavy screwdriver is the only way to charge it! Maybe its a warranty fault?

Don't know if things have changed with current production guns, but with my 2240 you screw the cap in finger tight, then you cock the gun and pull the trigger to pierce the C02 cartridge.
Thats interesting, but the reason I kept tightening it was, that it wasnt charging. On the first try, I tightened it four times, before I got CO2 shooting it every time.

Thats interesting, but the reason I kept tightening it was, that it wasnt charging. On the first try, I tightened it four times, before I got CO2 shooting it every time.
Huh. There's been a few times where I had to dry fire twice instead of once to pierce the cartridge, but I've never had to go any more than finger tight with the cap. Same with my 2300S. Whatever's up, it should be covered by the warranty.

Reactions: .20calguy
Some CO2 guns pierce the cartridge by tightening the cap. However that is not true of the Crosman 2240 / 2300 / 2400 / et. al.

The cap need only be tight enough to press the nose of the cartridge against the seal on the end of the valve. The cartridge gets pierced by firing the gun. The hammer drives a pin into the cartridge to pierce it.