Old Bushnell scope line hierarchy?

Hi I recently started getting into discontinued Bushnell scopes and have been lucky enough to grab a few cool ones. I don't know where they compare to the current line-up though. How would you rank the following (all with AO)? Bushnell trophy japan 4 - 12, Legend 5-15 x 40, Elite 4200 4-16 x 50, Sportview/Sportchief/Banner (all Japan), Bushnell AR line. I had a Nitro and Engage earlier but sold them. I thought they were okay, but I wouldn't pay full price for them.

Google Bushnell, there is a post all about the older and newer Bushnell scopes and their rankings and hierarchy.

Back in the day it was Scopechiefs,the Elite was always a top scope,,,,Banner is so so.

You are looking for Japanese glass,, oh the older Legend I like a lot.Stay away from Sportsview.the AR is ok.

Come to think about it I have all of those...my pick is the Elites,people know that so cost is high,the older Legends are great,Banners is as low as I would go,fact is stay away from all the lower line...btw I never pay full price,I buy used most of the time...

Reactions: Ezana4CE
The 4200 was the top tier scope at one time. They are still a very desirable scope today. Bushnell teamed with B&L started the elite line up with the B&L 3000 & 4000, then came the Elite 3200 & 4200 & the B&L name was dropped. I use to own the 3200 with firefly reticle, had it mounted on a TC 22 K hornet. What a tack driver it was! The very first legend ultra HD series scopes are excellent scopes IMO! Bushnell claimed they have ED glass in that series & by the clarity & resolution I believe they do.

I now own a new legend series 3-9x40 with illuminated dot ret & the new Bushnell prime 3.5-10x36 AO. Both are inexpensive scopes! But with that said, they are both very bright and there is no bleeding in the windage & elavation like alot of scopes in there price range.

Reactions: Pizzaman2976
The 4200 was the top tier scope at one time. They are still a very desirable scope today. Bushnell teamed with B&L started the elite line up with the B&L 3000 & 4000, then came the Elite 3200 & 4200 & the B&L name was dropped. I use to own the 3200 with firefly reticle, had it mounted on a TC 22 K hornet. What a tack driver it was! The very first legend ultra HD series scopes are excellent scopes IMO! Bushnell claimed they have ED glass in that series & by the clarity & resolution I believe they do.

I now own a new legend series 3-9x40 with illuminated dot ret & the new Bushnell prime 3.5-10x36 AO. Both are inexpensive scopes! But with that said, they are both very bright and there is no bleeding in the windage & elavation like alot of scopes in there price range.
The 6500 was their top tier.

I pulled the rings off the old Bushnell to prepare it for it's new home on the Hatsan Blitz. No wonder it looked and felt so solid.
It is a Scopechief VI 2.5 X 8 X 32. Glass is super nice both in and out, has that nice old gloss finish too. BTW black magic marker is perfect for touching up the nicks and wear. Now it looks as good as it works. Hmm, now I can't remember why I took it off the rifle it was on. Likely did not realize how darn good it is.

The 6500 was their top tier.
Google "Bushnell 4200 vs 6500". The 6500 was a newer model and was generally considered to be a step down optically by those that owned both. The 6500 debuted in 2009 where the 4200 was discontinued in 2011 so there is some overlap in years of production.

Last edited:
Google "Bushnell 4200 vs 6500". The 6500 was a newer model and was generally considered to be a step down optically by those that owned both. The 6500 debuted in 2009 where the 4200 was discontinued in 2011 so there is some overlap in years of production.
I'll second that. The 4200's and the BL 4000's were much better optically than 6500 models.
Have first hand experience with all three.