N/A Old Noob needs a basement handgun

I'm not in a position to shoot PB handguns any longer due to where I have moved to. I do have a 10m shot in the basement and 3 acres. I want a handgun that approximates a basic target gun like a Ruger MKIII Target, S&W 41, etc. Basement friendly and ability to go red dot. PCP or C02. I don't want a PP750 or Notos style "carbine" pistol. Suggestions in sub 38oz?

Last edited:
Reactions: Bandito
My friend just this week received a Weihrauch HW44 in .22 on my humble recommendation from AoA...they are about a grand but so accurate with a fantastic trigger and come with a factory moderator. Got to shoot it, really nice. They also come in .177. He is using it to pest ground squirrels from about 7-15yds...😂

Last edited:
I'm not in a position to shoot PB handguns any longer due to where I have moved to. I do have a 10m shot in the basement and 3 acres. I want a handgun that approximates a basic target gun like a Ruger MKIII Target, S&W 41, etc. Basement friendly and ability to go red dot. PCP or C02. I don't want a PP750 or Notos style "carbine" pistol. Suggestions in sub 38oz?

THere's a perfect one in the classified section

An Ataman AP16.

Yeah, difficult to get spares, but they are pretty stout guns. I have two, zero problems. Solidly built, accurate.

Mike

My MK1’s.
One stock, one modified.
Easy to work on, reliable, inexpensive, and accurate.
Still readily available in places like EBay.

A62F37EC-911F-4E1D-8A79-CEB380BFFA47.jpeg

I'm thinking Reximex RPA .177. Provides faux 10m experience and allows red dot when I fail with iron sights. I shot powder burner handguns for so long and now find it logistically difficult to do so. This Reximex allows me to shoot a handgun, sort of a target pistol and if all that goes to Hades I can change into an air SBR.

Last edited:
A new ($799 to $899) Hammerli AP-20, and a hand pump, will serve you well for many years to come. It is lightweight, easy to shoot, and extremely accurate. The grip is adjustable and will fit almost everyone.

Used ones do not show up very often. You could check on the TargetTalk forum, though.

The 1701P at factory settings is a very satisfying basement gun, though a little heavier than you're wanting at around 40oz (mine is a bit more with cocobolo wood grips). I get about 50 shots per fill. The Lothar Walther barrel is amazing. Some folks don't like that you've got to purchase a rear sight separately (adding to the expense), but you could spend a lot more and not end up with a better gun. I've got mine outfitted with an LPA MIM rear sight, which is more of a sporter sight than a target sight, but it is reminiscent of my powder burner pistol sights.

i have been reading this thread and wonder
A BASEMENT PISTOL WHAT IS THAT
is a HW44 a basement gun maybe if you what it to shoot 800fps in .177 but is it way over powered and on the top of the price range
would a S&W 586-686 be a basement gun sure under 500 fps has a mag and a beautiful pistol the problem is finding one
would a Diana Chaser be a good option sure cheap enough fps are in the right range Crosman MK1-MK2 sure S&W 78G-79G sure why not
he has his sights on a AV V10 better k=know as the Gamo Compact been around for a long time, has good grips and sight the trigger can be made better easy to cock price is okay and could be a pistol that you shoot for a very long time
so, what is a basement pistol well the answer is any pistol but at the same time something that has a FPS in the range of 380 to 500+and quiet
everyone has their choice are any wrong nope but then again more than one could also work we live in a BUY TO TRY SORT OF WORLD

@marflow 777 , I like your style. I pre-ordered the .177 Reximex RPA because it gives me some options. I have two compressors and a hand pump. Ideally, a fully functioning S&W 79G would work for me but I have some serious presbyopia issues and I lose the front sight unless I am in good sunlight. This condition also affected my under the lights tennis playing. This , my 2d winter in NE Iowa in over 43 yrs, I might be relegated to using the Reximex indoors with a red dot/C-More/UltraDot what have you as I have used a variety of those before on PB pistols. The AV10/Gamo Compact came in a close 2d and may one day make it to the house.