Older scope ring conversion

I have an older set of scope rings that do not have a stop pin. I would like to put a stop in by just drilling a hole in the bottom scope ring and insert a pin in the hole in the ring and into the hole in the rifle. I would like to do this without tapping the ring. Could someone tell me what the diameter of the pin should be? What would be the best process to get the pin centered in the ring to match the hole in the rifle? Do you think this will work?
Thanks
Flagger

Last edited:
Use a pin gauge and see what size the hole is in the receiver. Measure the hole in the receiver in relation to the rail. It should be pretty easy to get an accurate position mounting it in a mill and using a center and edge finder. That will tell you where the hole in the ring needs to be. Yes it will work but you need to know how to use a center and edge finder in a mill to do it with accuracy.

I just noticed that I have a single screw that goes through the entire ring that does the clamping power to hold the ring in place on the rifle. If i drilled a hole in the bottom of the ring for the pin i would be drilling through the clamping screw so this is not going to work. Oh well I thought It was a good idea but now I see it will not work. THANKS ALL for your advice!!!