N/A Olympic Form

Looking at photos of the Olympic air pistol shooters I notice their position is different than that I see in NRA Bullseye shooting. Olympic shooters are at 90 degrees to the target, looking directly over their arm at the sights and target. Bullseye shooters are more like 45 degrees or less with the pistol more out in front of the body. Perhaps it is because there is recoil in Bullseye, but not much with the 22lr events.

Anyone know why this is?

Reactions: Bandito
Good question.

I was always taught the combat position. Square to the target (or almost), knees bent and the gun brought up to center close to the body and then pushed out with both hands. Always moving rearward and at an angle. Never standing still. Always moving toward cover. It makes sense from an offensive/defensive standpoint.

One handed holds are a something you just don't do or someone will take your gun away. Standing tall with one hand stretched out is mighty vulnerable no matter what angle you are to the target.

Target positions are dictated by the rules of the game rather than practicality. How they arrived at their form was a matter of training for sure. But the reasons behind that form have always been a mystery to me.