One to the back of the head

the racoons are out in force after the storm in florida, seen at least 5 .. anyway, snoopy the coon here caught a polymag from the bulldog

20240809_044153.jpg

oh if you notice he face planted with a straightened out leg? that polymag went in the base of its skull and didnt exit .. just pureed its brain with 150 some odd ft lbs fully absorded ..it was instantly dead .. you could shoot it 5 more times in succession and it would keep floppin, ive never actually got the magic turn-off spot on a coon yet .. but a .25, yeah ..if placement isnt perfect even on the skull its gonna run off on ya .. may die but theres alot of cover around my property, may not find it .. very dissatisfying when that happens ..i like the .35 for coons ..still got to wait for a square shot on a coon, ive found not to try a side shot .. they got a long neck, big thick shoulder and very thin side profile on the head , lots of ways to pooch it, but again, the extra punch of the .35 increases the odds of anchoring them ..

ive never actually got the magic turn-off spot on a coon yet .. but a .25, yeah ..if placement isnt perfect even on the skull its gonna run off on ya ..
I haven't either. My usual shot is from an elevated position shooting down at the front of their head aiming about 1" above the eyes on the center of the skull. They always seem to do the death dance for 1 to 1.5 minutes. I've tried the side profile shot just in front of the ears, failed 2 out of 2, because the coon moved it's head at the same time that I squeezed the trigger. The shots hit below the brain and the coons ran off. I won't do that shot anymore. With a centered frontal shot if it moves it's head up or down a little with a 34g .25 at 880 fps it will probably still will hit something vital.

It would be nice if a 150+ fpe hollowing point .357 could anchor a coon on the spot with a lung shot a high percentage of the time. It would eliminate the head bobbing problem. I'm sure a .223 or better like a 22/250 with hollow points would do the job, but much too noisy and unsafe for a urban environment.

Do you have the M357? Claims to up to 300 fpe. I wonder how well that would work for lung shots.

Last edited: