Only a matter of time before they use PCPs in the military…

Lewis and Clark took an air rifle on their expedition. A Giradoni pcp that took 1500 pumps to get 30 shots, according to Wikipedia.

They were used in actual combat.

The Girardoni air rifle was in service with the Austrian army from 1780 to around 1815. Many references to the Girardoni air rifles mention lethal combat ranges of 125 to 150 yards and some extend that range considerably. The advantages of a high rate of fire, no smoke from propellants, and low muzzle report granted it acceptance.

It looks like they do use paintball markers for training.

Reactions: Maizen
Technology changes fast…20 years ago there wasn’t a PCP with the power output of a .22lr capable of at least 20 shots. Now there is.
Looking back I think something that’s obvious to a lot of people here, they haven’t really explained. PCP technology does appear to have changed a bit however physics does not.

The barrel pressure of a powder burner ranges approximately 25,000-60,000 psi. Generating large volumes of compressed gas at that pressure is extremely difficult and would require large equipment. Additionally the canisters to contain that type of pressure in the field would be prohibitively heavy and re-arming logistics is just not feasible. Also PCPs have far more points of failure. PBs are (comparatively) very simple devices, and can get banged around and dirty with little fear of it causing a terminal failure.

If I can think of anything else I’ll add it in when it comes to mind

Another reason, the most common round used weighs ~188 grains. In order to generate and equivalent amount of energy from a PCP you’d need projectiles +1000 grains due to the much lower velocity. So soldiers would only be able to carry at best 20% of their existing ammo.

The lower velocity also creates a flight path that’s more parabolic so aiming is more difficult at longer ranges.

Edit- here we go, I kept this bookmarked. This has the formulas to calculate energy based on barrel length, diameter and internal pressure. There’s a direct correlation with plenum volume, as the projectile moves further down the barrel the pressure acting on it decreases due to the additional volume introduced inside the barrel.
http://closefocusresearch.com/calculating-barrel-pressure-and-projectile-velocity-gun-systems

Last edited:
Technology changes fast…20 years ago there wasn’t a PCP with the power output of a .22lr capable of at least 20 shots. Now there is.
That technology is closing fast on common cartridge firing (6.8 x 51) which has a muzzle velocity of 2,950 fps and knock down power of 2,609 ft lbs at the muzzle. It won’t be long untill the whole military will be carrying them. Besides, every vet knows all you need in combat is 20 rounds of ammo.

Lol airguns I’m the military? Never happen, they are not rugged enough, dependable, etc.. for any kind of military use even training..a Marine would snap a Panthera in half lol, this cracks me up even you thinking this.. I was in the service and I’m sure other veterans in here will speak up and say the same thing… Not in my lifetime will there be air rifles used in military service 😀

Lol airguns I’m the military? Never happen, they are not rugged enough, dependable, etc.. for any kind of military use even training..a Marine would snap a Panthera in half lol, this cracks me up even you thinking this.. I was in the service and I’m sure other veterans in here will speak up and say the same thing… Not in my lifetime will there be air rifles used in military service 😀
I agree. I always slam in on the YouTube vids touting airguns for self defense too. I get it that felons may have no other option but these video makers should point that out and stress the massive short comings they have. Drives me almost as nuts as those idiotic pepper ball guns. OMG don’t even get me started on the idiocy of those things.

Reactions: HubenK1Sniper92
Looking back I think something that’s obvious to a lot of people here, they haven’t really explained. PCP technology does appear to have changed a bit however physics does not.

The barrel pressure of a powder burner ranges approximately 25,000-60,000 psi. Generating large volumes of compressed gas at that pressure is extremely difficult and would require large equipment. Additionally the canisters to contain that type of pressure in the field would be prohibitively heavy and re-arming logistics is just not feasible. Also PCPs have far more points of failure. PBs are (comparatively) very simple devices, and can get banged around and dirty with little fear of it causing a terminal failure.

If I can think of anything else I’ll add it in when it comes to mind

Another reason, the most common round used weighs ~188 grains. In order to generate and equivalent amount of energy from a PCP you’d need projectiles +1000 grains due to the much lower velocity. So soldiers would only be able to carry at best 20% of their existing ammo.

The lower velocity also creates a flight path that’s more parabolic so aiming is more difficult at longer ranges.

Edit- here we go, I kept this bookmarked. This has the formulas to calculate energy based on barrel length, diameter and internal pressure. There’s a direct correlation with plenum volume, as the projectile moves further down the barrel the pressure acting on it decreases due to the additional volume introduced inside the barrel.
http://closefocusresearch.com/calculating-barrel-pressure-and-projectile-velocity-gun-systems
I mean the thing is though…we don’t need to reach firearm level psi in order for a PCP to be considered lethal at 100 yards. That’s what I’m getting at here. Yes physics hasn’t changed, but that don’t mean it won‘t change.

I guess it really depends on what would be happening…purely situational.

I mean the thing is though…we don’t need to reach firearm level psi in order for a PCP to be considered lethal at 100 yards. That’s what I’m getting at here. Yes physics hasn’t changed, but that don’t mean it won‘t change.

I could see them being used for special ops missions where silence is a priority.

This is going to sound like I’m making a smarta55 comment but I’m really not, however I am trying to illustrate the point. Just because something could be lethal doesn’t mean you’d equip soldiers with it. Throwing a rock could kill, but we’d never send a service member into the field with a rock.

Why give them 200 fpe when you can give them 2k? You pick the best tool for the job.

Even in the extreme edge cases honestly a crossbow is probably a better choice.

I could see them being used for special ops missions where silence is a priority.
That could be one application however a .22lr shooting subsonics ( even the CCI Standard velocity 1070 fps ) is just as quiet with a silencer as an airgun if not more but with all the upsides like weight, size, reliability, unlimited shot count since you can carry a boatload of .22s

Yes physics hasn’t changed, but that don’t mean it won‘t change.
First off, to all who've mentioned serving our country, thank you! 🇺🇸

The physics in this case(Boyle's law) won't change. And if it does then there are aliens here...extraterrestrial, not illegal aliens, although the law would make ET's illegals too. :unsure:
But seriously, airguns just can't compete with PB's because of the pressure difference.
Just imagine using a Yong Hen to fill a tank to 50,000psi for one shot....I'll wait and you will too, almost forever I bet. :whistle:
And if you could fill it, why would you even bother when you can have that same PSI repeatedly and dependably with bullets in seconds of picking up an unloaded weapon.

Just had a thought where it would work. Space Force!
If/when they have actual elite forces in space, an air weapon could be used as propulsion and a weapon. It would also need a serious O-ring upgrade.

Reactions: Maizen and Bernie7
As a Marine Corps Vet, I can't imagine ANY Air rifle making it though a combat mission. I couldn't imaging having to Butt Stroke or Face Bash someone with an air rifle. I'd rather just let them get closer and stab them. :)
I can see it now, your on patrol, ambush!!!!, you hit the deck, and hit your tank, your pellet pouch is pinched between your body armor and a rock denting the skirts. hssssssss, crap. Hey, Dude on the hill, can you hold on a second, while I check for a good pellet and get some more air? hahahhahha
Not gonna happen, well at least with the Marine Corps, I see the Army and Air Force already tried them, but it's the Army and Air Force. :)

Smitty
Exactly, could you imagine mounting your bayonet to an air rifle and using it on someone in battle? 😀😀😀 Semper Fi!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Smitty911