• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Opinions on the Benjamin Trail XL .22?

Hi All - New member with typical forum newbie questions.

I'm searching this forum to read all that I can on springer rifles, but wanted to get this posted. I'm not new to air guns (own a lightly modded Crosman 1377) or to guns in general (I'm a hunter/shooter). We have ended up with a vermin problem and using a .22LR will be too loud or too dangerous. Most shots are too far for my 1377. I have been given permission by the wife to acquire an air rifle. The main targets are red squirrels and sparrows, but I want the ability to go after larger targets, so I'm considering .22. There will be an ammo requirement that I use lead-free pellets.

I've been looking pretty hard at the Benjamin Trail XL in .22:

https://www.crosman.com/benjamin-trail-xl-1100-22

As for the lead-free ammo, that is the wife's requirement and her concern of animals or our young children ingesting a lead pellet found on the ground. As I've been researching, there seems to be mixed advice/feelings on using lead-free ammo in springers. Seems like I might be okay if I stick to the heavier pellets? I'm leaning toward a springer (in general) due to the simplicity - no pump, etc. like I would need with a PCP. I see that there are some aftermarket options for better trigger and other modifications to make the Benjamin Trail a better rifle.

That being said, I'm not married to the Benjamin Trail XL so if there are other, better models, I'm open to suggestion. I'm also not entirely opposed to a PCP; I just notice that PCPs tend to get expensive pretty quick, and I would need a pump.

So I would appreciate any feedback or guidance as I wade through the ocean of air rifle options!

Thanks!

Buy an HW95 instead. Thank me later

I owned a Benjamin Summit NP2 in .22 some time ago - it was my favorite break barrel for some time. It was heavy, but that weight helped tame the shot cycle compared to the lighter .22 Benjamin Titan I also owned. I worked on the Summit's trigger to get it a little lighter and much more crisp... but still fought to make it accurate at 50 yards. By accurate, I mean circumference of a pop can with the top facing me. The gun could make the shot IF the trigger break and jolting cycle didn't throw me off. Very difficult gun to settle down, and it had exactly the same engine (piston, strut, and trigger assembly) as the Trail XL. The Summit is actually the gun that convinced me to purchase a Canada-legal version of the Crosman Fire rifle with a "detuned" gas strut from the factory. The much lighter shot cycle improved my accuracy by leaps and bounds so I sold the Summit. I always liked the look of the Trail but never got up the nerve to pay what they cost, and am now happy to have moved on.

Zuren,

I wouldn't even consider such a model, for the price you're willing to spend i would add a little change $ and get a German springer such as the R9/HW95 and don't look back. Its heirloom quality that will pass down to the next generation. Another good choice would be the Diana better known to some as RWS Diana 34., just not as reformed as the HW95 in fit and finish and the HW's trigger (record trigger) is one of the best in the industry. Also I find this platform great in all calibers, 177/20/22. I personal prefer the .20, but really the other calibers are great too in this particular model. Its the one springer I recommend to all who are looking for a one springer do all.

Enjoy your search, its part of the fun of ownership.

Cheers

Thanks for all the replies! I'm surprised this rifle gets such good reviews on places like PA, but sounds like I need to consider other models. Buying a $300ish gun and putting more money into it, to still not have it perform well is a non-starter. 

I have a list going of all the models mentioned above, so my research will need to continue!

I've begun to whittle my list to the following (in no particular order):

HW30 Urban Pro Laminate - https://www.airgunsofarizona.com/spring-piston/weihrauch-hw30s-.22-urban-pro-laminate/

Beeman R9 - https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Beeman_R9_Elite_Series_Combo/1560#2869

Sig Sauer ASP20 - https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/SIG_Sauer_ASP20_Gas_Piston_Breakbarrel_Air_Rifle_Beech/4597#8982

Diana 34 - https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Diana_RWS_34_Striker_Combo_TO6_Trigger/1690#9655

For air rifles offered in a combo with a scope, is it safe to say the scope is fairly cheap junk they throw on? I've an avid fisherman, and I always buy and rods and reels separately as the typical combos put a budget reel on an otherwise nice rod.

The ASP20 is interesting; any thoughts on it? The one big con I find on it is that it isn't much, or will be any, aftermarket support for tuning and upgrades. Sounds like its a gun you and just need to be happy with. 

Thank you again!

Since lead free pellets was a must for you that has to be taken into consideration in your choice of rifles. Not many breakbarrel rifles shoot alloy pellets accurately. The Benji Trail XL will be no exception. If the rifle struggles with accuracy using lead pellets it will be compounded with alloys. The Sig ASP20 in .22cal is extremely accurate using the Sig Wraith alloy pellet. Listed at 12.35gr they actually average 13.3gr. Check out these reviews that Travis at Airgundepot and Tom Gaylord did regarding the Wraith alloy pellet.

https://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2019/01/sig-asp20-rifle-with-whiskey3-asp-4-12x44-scope-part-7/

https://www.airgundepot.com/sig-sauer-asp20-synthetic.html#gallery

One of the drawbacks to the Sig is obtaining parts to rebuild/repair the rifle. As far as tuning and upgrades...WHY ?? Most tune there breakbarrel guns for smoother shot cycle and accuracy. You ain't going to get any smoother and accurate than the Sig already comes from the factory ! If you could get more power then accuracy would suffer. I'd say 23-24 ft/lbs in a springer is good enough.

I’m not buying Tom Gaylord’s sig asp review regarding accuracy. Show me equipment lists of competitions and IF the sig EVER makes a list anywhere besides the very bottom for springers then I’ll be sold. Otherwise it’s an American company marketing ... as usual. Maybe if I see people posting REAL groups on the forum that might sell me. Or a YouTube video of a regular guy not kissing ass like most of them who do a side by side accuracy test of the sig vs a proven R9. However right now I’m skeptical.

I’m not buying Tom Gaylord’s sig asp review regarding accuracy. Show me equipment lists of competitions and IF the sig EVER makes a list anywhere besides the very bottom for springers then I’ll be sold. Otherwise it’s an American company marketing ... as usual. Maybe if I see people posting REAL groups on the forum that might sell me. Or a YouTube video of a regular guy not kissing ass like most of them who do a side by side accuracy test of the sig vs a proven R9. However right now I’m skeptical.

" I’m not buying Tom Gaylord’s sig asp review regarding accuracy "

Fine ! Then watch the video at Airgundepot.com. 

" Show me equipment lists of competitions "

Field target competitions usually are for airguns under 20 ft/lbs. That leaves the Sig out !

I'll let other ASP20 owners fill you in on the accuracy of the Sig. One member from Texas consistently can shoot under 1" @50 yards. with AA 16 gr domes ! Another member achieves dimes at 35 yards ! Now if you want to chalk it up to conspiratorial American marketing schemes then have at it ! It's America ! You have a right to your OPINION! You've only been a member since April 2020. The proof you want is here in this website. Seek and ye will find !! I would say the R9 has a edge over the Sig in accuracy. It doesn't pack the wallop that the Sig does though !

Okay... I’ve been into airguns since the 90s and firearms so extensively that it well makes up for a lack of longevity in the sport.

I’m simply saying that Tom Gaylord, who has shot everything under the sun, from Olympic 10 meter guns to a Whiscombe, saying “I shot the best group of my life” when referring to a high powered new-on-the-scene break barrel rifle seems a bit funny. I’ll wait until the hype dies down. I certainly remember when the NP2 had the same hype when it came out. Jim Shocky got on with the marketing as did his wife, plenty of buzz on the forums, etc. 

my personal preference is for guns I can take down and modify or tune. If I was in the market for 1 airgun only and I just wanted something powerful enough I could shoot possums or pesty raccoons with at range confidence then I’d look hard at the ASP. There’s certainly a niche for the power aspect so long as it delivers under 1.5 inches at 50 like I keep hearing it does. 

Whatever gun you choose, make sure its not so powerful that it shoots lead-free pellets supersonically. Or, you'll have a loud gun.

12 to 15 fpe will get the killing power you need for the purposes you state.

The Diana 34 is a good choice but you'll need to de-tune it to reduce the power.

If you can find one, a Walther Terrus could be a good choice. It has a threaded muzzle which makes it easy to put on an after-market sound moderator.

and don't overlook Hatsan airguns for something inexpensive. A Hatsan 95 can be a nice airgun too.

don't believe people when they say alloy pellets aren't accurate in break barrels. I get great accuracy shooting Predator GTOs in about every airgun I shoot them with.

Ya it is. Seems like you think that the ASP is the end all be all. It fits a niche quite well. Read Hector’s write up on it, I feel he gives it great justice while not sounding over enthusiastic. It does well at what it does I’m sure, not denying that. I’m sure you can hit stuff at 50 yards with it. I had a 100 dollar gun off the yellow before that shot like a 5’ 4 shot group at 100 yards before. Doesn’t mean it’s the best gun ever made and no one can dislike it. 

Besides, if you want to criticize my opinion properly, just ask if I’ve ever shot one! I’ve never shot one nor have I attempted shot groups. 

" I’ve never shot one nor have I attempted shot groups. "

Then you really can't dispute any reviewers of the Sig and accuracy claims. If you had shot one and your results didn't jive with the reviewers results, then you could make an argument over accuracy claims. I like my Sig but some things I don't like about it. My only issue with you is your saying the accuracy isn't as claimed because you don't believe in the reviewers results. It's real !! On that note I'm done with hijacking this thread. Have a good evening in Oregon.