Optimizing Twist Rates for Different Ranges for Pellets

Some time ago I carried out some work looking at pellet spiralling (https://www.airgunnation.com/threads/pellet-spirals.1297114/) and how it could be reduced at ranges up to 100 yards. The conclusion was that increasing spin damping could reduce spiralling to negligible sizes, but of course as shooters we can do little to change the pellet design. All we can do is reduce muzzle velocities and try to obtain a barrel with reduced twist rate based on what others have found, or what manufacturers are prepared to offer.

Of the two .22 designs used in the study, it was obvious that one was more likely to suffer from large spirals than the other. Based on the evidence of an earlier thread comparing lead and lead free pellets of the same design (https://www.airgunnation.com/threads/lead-and-lead-free-pellets.1283547/), it seemed that filling in the pellet tail to increase weight made them more susceptible to yaw growth and thus spirals. The main reason for this was the change in the centre of gravity (CG) position, moving it back towards the base to make it much nearer to the aerodynamic centre of pressure (CP), thus reducing the aerodynamic moments (Cma) about the CG. The calculated values of Cma for the heavy pellet are always much lower than those for the pellet with a hollow base and a forward CG.

I started off by taking a heavy pellet design and running trajectories out to 100 yards using standard calculated values for Cma and twist rates varying from 16 to 32 inches per turn. The actual group sizes calculated are a function of the pellet based errors assumed, which are fairly severe. The important thing to look at is how the group size varies, rather than its actual size. I then arbitrarily increased the numerical value of Cma by 0.1 and repeated the exercise, and repeated the exercise again by increasing the numerical value of Cma by a further 0.1. As expected, the trajectory modelling showed that the increases in Cma reduced the sizes of the spirals and thus the group size.

This was done for two velocities, 800 and 1050 ft/sec. These velocities were chosen as they include the speeds at which the values of Cma start to change due to Mach number effects, and thus group sizes. The 800 ft/sec simulations were repeated for a medium weight pellet design to see if similar results were obtained.

The big problem is that you cannot really randomly increase the size of Cma for a pellet without changing its design. Making it longer is the easiest method to increase Cma, but that immediately changes the mechanical moments of inertia, which also changes the pellets behaviour and thus the group sizes. I had a lot of data from the literally hundreds of simulations, but it was difficult to see trends as there were too many things varying all at once, even though this was a simulation with many variables kept constant which would vary in real life testing.

In all my previous threads I would have shown three or four diagrams by now, but there was so much data, and it was so confusing I have not shown anything so far.

There is one variable which the trajectory model prints out which contains a number of the variables causing the difficulties, and that is the gyroscopic stability factor. For this reason, I decided to try plotting out the calculated group sizes as a function of gyroscopic stability factor to see if it showed up any trends.

The next problem is that gyroscopic stability factor varies as the pellet moves along its trajectory, so which value could be chosen? In the end, I decided to work out the average stability factor for each of the trajectories for each of the chosen ranges and muzzle velocities. Now the data began to make some sense.

Below are the results for the heavy pellet type fired at 1050 ft/sec at four different ranges. Each dot is for a different barrel twist rate, giving a different average SG value.

sggroup.jpg

Now there appear to be definite trends that we can see. The diagram below shows all the different trajectories on one graph for both pellet designs. It looks a bit of a mess at first, but there is something we can see.

sg group2.jpg

If you look closely you can see that for all the different speeds and pellet types there appears to be an optimum value of average SG for the minimum size groups. This average value appears to lie between -2.5 to -3.5.

So what use is knowing the optimum average value? By knowing the SG value needed, it is possible to calculate the optimum twist rate required for the ranges of interest. The twist rate for 100 yards will be different from that needed at 50 yards, so barrels would need to be optimized for specific purposes. It does not mean that a barrel optimized for 100 yards could not be used at 25 yards, but the groups would not be the smallest possible at 25 yards. The difference would probably be small at short ranges where groups are small anyway, so a barrel twist optimized for the longest ranges would give the best overall performance.

But is this of use to shooters? Optimizing your twist rate will not suddenly turn a poor barrel into a brilliant one. It will help to make a good pellet barrel combination give the smallest groups, particularly for long range competition shooters.

However, not many shooters will have the ability to calculate the twist rate needed. It requires some pretty involved computer programs and aerodynamic calculation, plus detailed properties of the pellets themselves. Manufacturers of guns and pellets should have the joint knowledge and programs to produce pellet gun combinations which are optimized for each other. I say should as, based on the comments of a representative of a large manufacturer in a recent article, it would appear some do not. Strelok, which had supposedly been used for twist rate information, is not suitable for this work and was never intended to be used for such detail design. Some manufacturers of barrels may be able to carry out the research, or employ someone who can do it, I do not see why not, there must be people who could do the work needed.

One word of caution. The work still needs expanding to other pellet designs, calibres and with other inputs of pellet manufacturing errors. The data so far suggests the optimum SG value will not vary a great deal, but it needs confirming. This is really only the start of the work.

Nice write up, I dabble but am by far from an expert such as yourself on external ballistics, I do have a couple of questions.

I am only familiar with the classical way of calculating SG.

1724073968253.png

I assume you're not using this approach?

Should the optimal twist rate be for the most common (not mistaken for average) velocity any particular projectile travels, or in other words, the most influenced period of its flight since velocity is the only variable altering a projectiles sg during flight? Unless of course it somehow changes shape. If not, why is distance more critical than the velocity the projectile spends the most time at.

Also, does ones elevation/altitude come into play here, where one arrangement at sea level will likely be outperformed by another arrangement at say, 8,500 ft?

-Matt

The normal equations for stability factor are:-
SG formula.jpg

The second equation, which is normally in radians per meter, is applicable only at the muzzle, which is usually the point of minimum SG. Further down range, SG becomes a function of spin rate divided by velocity (both squared). All the other terms, except Cma, remain constant for an airgun pellet trajectory.

Of course, if you live somewhere where the air density is significantly lower than the ICAO value, then to maintain the desired SG will require reducing the spin rate by the appropriate amount. I have not yet looked at the implications of significantly reduced air density to see if the optimum SG values change. Living in the UK, it is not of large significance to us, even if we are shooting from the top of our highest mountains. ;)
As for range being used as the primary variable, while shooters know the range they are shooting at, they do not generally know the velocity at any point in the trajectory. In addition, the study tended to suggest that the velocity did not in itself affect the optimum values of SG, as shown by the two velocities modelled giving much the same optimum values for given ranges. Remember, it is the ratio between the spin rate and the velocity which largely determines SG, and they are fixed at the start by the barrel twist rate.

The use of the average SG over the trajectory is also something of convenience, as it is relatively easy to find from the detailed trajectory output data, which includes SG values calculated for each time interval in the output. It is easier than trying to decide what the most relevant speed is and then using the appropriate SG value, and, based on the plots shown in the OP, seems to be relatively constant for both muzzle velocities and for both pellet designs. I believe it is therefore valid to use the average SG over the relevant range to produce the optimum.

However, as I have said before, there are still a lot of question marks about the work, which really is only in its infancy.