P17 - 1st shoot with red dot

This Beeman P17 that I picked up off Midway for $35 has just blown me away with its accuracy!

Maybe I won the Chinese barrel lottery, but I shot it for a couple weeks with iron sights. I was hitting an apple juice jug consistently at 20 yards - I’m talking 5 out of 5 hits a bunch of times. I did sight the iron sights in at 10 yards. I hit an iced tea can at 30 yards 2 of 3 times standing offhand !!

At that point, I ordered a dirt cheap ($23) red dot from Amazon. I had no previous experience with pellet pistols, but I figure that I lucked into a good one, so I wanted to see if the P17 would actually shoot groups with a better sight.

To attach the sight, I bought a little spring loaded conversion rail from Amazon. This rail does not bolt onto the P-17s 11mm dovetail to convert it to Picatinny. Instead, it uses the clamping force from your scope/red dot mount to hold both the red dot and adapter rail onto the P17’s dovetail. What I liked about this setup is that the adapter is so low profile that it keeps the sight low and the P17 very compact. It also leaves enough space for you to cock the P17 without having to touch the rear iron sight - I use the edge of my palm like a blade to fit between the red dot and the rear iron sight.

As you can see, the freaking thing groups!! I know I’m shooting pellets that 2 tins cost more than I paid for the P17, but it REALLY likes these pellets. It shot them so well from my 1st shoot that I have not tried anything else (I have tons of 7.9g Crosmans that I may eventually try). I chronoed it at 415fps with these 7.33g JSB pellets. I supported the pistol on a bag when I shot the groups. These are the 1st 3 - and only three groups I shot. You can see that I basically took me only 4 shots to zero the red dot - I got a little lucky guessing the up adjustment after the 3rd zeroing shot (also adjusted a tiny touch left after shot 3)

You can also see in the distance the clear juice jug (22 yards) on the red can holder and the Peace Tea Iced tea can on the yellow holder at 30 yards - I measured the distacne with a green laser (accurate to 2mm at 100 yards).

Adapter link: Ulightfire Low Profile Rail Adaptor 20mm to 11mm ,96mm in Length https://a.co/d/cPLY7xX

Red Dot link: CVLIFE 1X22X33 Red Green Dot Gun Sight Scope Reflex Sight with 20mm Rail https://a.co/d/2LQ8erj

I’d definitely recommend the P17 to anyone wanting to try using an airgun pistol!

4C712BEC-EFEE-4AE8-920F-6F5A201BBE40.jpeg

94CE610B-FE25-4B34-A7ED-B39DB5874862.jpeg

2E2ED10D-39E0-451F-AFD1-2909B96C4933.jpeg

A06E8AE0-3F86-43D7-9535-CE8B654AA77C.jpeg

E4613188-B4CB-4DDE-AA99-9189A8175F01.jpeg

330D8EA2-AB6C-4201-BB2E-41EBBE08B438.jpeg

Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1
attach the sight, I bought a little spring loaded conversion rail from Amazon. This rail does not bolt onto the P-17s 11mm dovetail to convert it to Picatinny. Instead, it uses the clamping force from your scope/red dot mount to hold both the red dot and adapter rail onto the P17’s dovetail. What I liked about this setup is that the adapter is so low profile that it keeps the sight low and the P17 very compact. It also leaves enough space for you to cock the P17 without having to touch the rear iron sight - I use the edge of my palm like a blade to fit between the red dot and the rear iron sight.
I have a P-17 and I have to use the flat of my hand full force to close the cocking lever/"slide". My pain tolerance is too low to use the side of my hand. Good shooting in any case.