RTI P3 owners, I have some questions for you.

I’m going to purchase a new rifle and I’ve narrowed down my search to two manufacturers, a Taipan Veteran II Tactical or the RTI P3. These two guns seem to check the boxes to handle either pellets for target shooting and slugs for varmint hunting; Well made and adjustable.

I have a few questions. Are you satisfied with your P3? Does the hammer spring adjuster give you the ability to fine tune a particular pellet or slug that are close to the same weight? How much FPS variance does the hammer spring give you? And are you satisfied with its accuracy? Please feel free to add an additional information you think I should know about this rifle.

Many thanks for your input,

WPM

My P2 has a balance valve and I would imagine the P3 is no different. You don’t control your pellet or slug speed with the hammer spring, you do it with the reg pressure. I have shot .25 pellets and slugs, then switched to a .30 shooting pellets and slugs at all speeds. I have never touched my hammer spring. On a conventional valve gun, some guys can treat their hammer spring as a speed adjuster if they are satisfied with their gun not being in the optimal state of tune. But a Prophet is different.

My P2 has a balance valve and I would imagine the P3 is no different. You don’t control your pellet or slug speed with the hammer spring, you do it with the reg pressure. I have shot .25 pellets and slugs, then switched to a .30 shooting pellets and slugs at all speeds. I have never touched my hammer spring. On a conventional valve gun, some guys can treat their hammer spring as a speed adjuster if they are satisfied with their gun not being in the optimal state of tune. But a Prophet is different.
So... would that make the new style hammer spring adjuster on the P3 useless? More of a gimmick type thing? Or for fine tuning? Im unfamiliar with the balance valves on the P2 and P3 or balance valves in general..

It obviously requires adjusting when you go from shooting 80b to shooting 130b. You still have to crack the valve properly. It’s just not the speed controller like some guys make their hammer springs out to be on regular valve guns. I played with balance/cobra valves back in 2017 and never fully got them figured out so I was leery about purchasing a P2. I waited until hopefully all the bugs were worked out then purchased a P2 right when the P3 was announced. I am far from an expert on this but I also promised myself to not get too crazy with this gun. I’ve shot between 108b and 125b without touching my spring. The gun shoots great but I can tell that where the spring is set, the gun likes around 120b. So if I do back it down to 108b again, I may back off the spring a little and see what happens. I’m still learning.

My prophet 2 is definitely easier to tune than the original prophet.
Basically, adjust the reg to get the power or accuracy required.
Sometimes the hammer spring needs adjusting to open the valve.l
The P2 basically tells what is happening, sound related.
Once the hammer is opening the valve, one extra quarter turn on the hammer spring adjuster.
Sorted.

Never seen the need to upgrade to the P3, once the initial assisted valve issues were sorted.

I personally own both a p3 and p2. I enjoy both guns. The balance valve is different than any other valve out there. Tunning is easy to get the hang of. The p3 has some improvements. The hammer adjustment is useful as you don’t need to use a wrench. But the hammer adjustment on a balance valve isn’t as fickle as other valves. So saying it doesn’t work is a bit misleading.
When turning it, you’ll finded a rather large sweet spot, it takes a lot to over adjust it. When tunning the balance valve, the P2 has a low hammer cliff edge that the pellet speed can fall off if close to or out of adjustment. The p3 has a larger valve, the cliff is so prominent. You probably won’t find if be cause the speed has to to be really low to drop.

When I got my p3. Slapped on a scope and went to buddy property that had plates set up.
I sighted it in at 50 yards and literally started shooting the 200 yard plate. Crazy

Mont

I personally own both a p3 and p2. I enjoy both guns. The balance valve is different than any other valve out there. Tunning is easy to get the hang of. The p3 has some improvements. The hammer adjustment is useful as you don’t need to use a wrench. But the hammer adjustment on a balance valve isn’t as fickle as other valves. So saying it doesn’t work is a bit misleading.
When turning it, you’ll finded a rather large sweet spot, it takes a lot to over adjust it. When tunning the balance valve, the P2 has a low hammer cliff edge that the pellet speed can fall off if close to or out of adjustment. The p3 has a larger valve, the cliff is so prominent. You probably won’t find if be cause the speed has to to be really low to drop.

When I got my p3. Slapped on a scope and went to buddy property that had plates set up.
I sighted it in at 50 yards and literally started shooting the 200 yard plate. Crazy

Mont
Hey Monty, how is the cocking on the P3? Is it essentially the same as the others, or have they made significant changes?

Mont
I realise this is an older post but am looking at getting my first rti rn, the shop still has some prophet 2.1 performance models in stock as well as the p3 Performance, it’s a 230 usd difference… is the p3 worth the extra bucks in your opinion? I’m looking at a .25 performance either way because the rifle will be tuned and detuned often for different pesting applications…

I realise this is an older post but am looking at getting my first rti rn, the shop still has some prophet 2.1 performance models in stock as well as the p3 Performance, it’s a 230 usd difference… is the p3 worth the extra bucks in your opinion? I’m looking at a .25 performance either way because the rifle will be tuned and detuned often for different pesting applications…
Not sure where you are from, From Flanders, You have a usd difference in your post so maybe USA?
Mike