• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

PA cup observations!

Ok thought I would share some of my BR observations. # 1- 5,6 yrs ago top guns shot from sighters “no flags” no need they said. Now almost all the top shot use them or read others.
# 2- almost all during that same time period only shot off bi-pods and a rear bag “if that” now most use a front rest or combination of bi-pod and rear rest to manipulate windage and elevation to a finite degree. This was not needed 5-6yrs ago according to the professionals.
#3- Note: these are just my observations and in no way dictates a winner from middle of the pack. Hell I used a rest and made the most stupid basic rookie mistake I shot 3 shots in a record bull because I didn’t drop down fully (I shoot bottom to top) and make sure I was on a sighter!!! I’ve shot both center fire BR and 25m BR so what does that say…

Everyone makes stupid mistakes from time to time when shooting.

Pre-Covid, 225 was a great score and good enough to win most competitions. Now it won’t get you in the top 5, or even top 10.

Used to be “just get them inside the paint (8-ring)” would result in a good score. Now to be competitive you need no more than 3 or 4 eights, no sevens (maybe 1), and the rest 9s and 10s.

Scores have gone up since Covid. In 2018 the winning score at EBR was 216 and 206 at RMAC. And in 2019 was 225 at EBR and 224 at RMAC.

To be competitive in the finals now you need to be on the high side of 230 for a top 5 finish. The exception would be howling wind, but finals haven’t seen that for quite a few years.

Last edited: