N/A PCP to Springer Recommendations

Hello Everyone,

I am planning to sell my FX Dreamline GRS w/ Falcon x50FT scope and accessories to purchase a more traditional springer type air rifle. The reason for selling is just due to the PCP platform in general requiring more gizmos and gadgets to use and use well. Firstly, I am looking for something that has enough power to kill woodchuck sized animals/pests pretty easily. Secondly, something accurate and fun to shoot in my backyard at targets, etc. I live on 3 acres with plenty of room to shoot up to 100 yards or so, although I would not be shooting pest further than 40 yards I'm sure. I do not have a strong preference on caliber but have plenty of .22 pellets..

I have looked at many options in the past and did my research but have been out of the hobby for about a year and don't know what is new in this category so figured this is a good place to start. I also need 10 posts before I can sell my PCP so I might as well get crackin. I have considered the Diana Airking 54, Hatsan 135, TX200, and Weihrauch's various offerings. I will likely get a fixed or lower variable mag scope that excels in target acquisition for hunting purposes.

Thanks for any insight!

I found a guy selling a 54 pro on the classifieds here that I may consider if someone else doesn’t pick it up. Would you guys recommend sending it to someone to get tuned? I keep seeing a guy named Hector Medina that looks to be the 54 guru… also, I am not against a Gamo or a hatsan, I am just worried the jump from a Dreamline with GRS stock to one of those may be too underwhelming for me… just being honest!
Shoot it first. Hector puts some time into them if you have a specific goal.

I have HWs 30, 50, and 95 all 22s which I shoot 2 of 3 rotating nearly everyday. The 30 is fun but underpowered for your needs. The 95 has the power is the heaviest and it’s noticeable. For me it’s the least accurate which should make sense because the firing process is more violent. The 50 is sweet, lighter, should kill a chuck, quieter, and for me, emphasis on for me, more accurate. I picked up this 50 and put the W suppressor on it. More leverage and quieter. I think the stainless look is bitchin!

Let me add, if you buy the 95 add $250 to your budget to get it tuned. That would certainly help accuracy. The 50 IMHO I would skip it. Another add, I picked up the 95N Field Pro. It has the 1/2 unf suppressor barrel which I added . My point is; the price can add up with a tune. Like $1100 all in on a tricked out 95.
Dude you nailed it. I just bought a 95n tuned. And for about that price! And it is a smooth, quiet & a shooter. Top dollar paid. But Zero buyer remorse.

One springer that hasn't been mentioned... The Diana 460. They make decent power in .22cal (~24ftlbs), have open sights (front blade is a little wide for my taste) and fairly simple to work on if ever needed. Accuracy is generally excellent, easier to shoot decently compared to break barrels at the same power but slightly harder when compared to the D54. Fit and finish might not be up to HW77/97 or TX200 levels, but they're nice enough and you get more power. I prefer the T-06 trigger but the Rekord is excellent also. Weight is a little on the heavy side but manageable.

It seems like you're leaning towards a Diana 54, which are fantastic airguns. There are many great springers out there, it gets difficult to recommend just one. The HW95/R9 are generally highly recommended as they do many tasks well, sort of like an all season tire. The HW77/97 are similar but excel on the bench due to their added weight. The TX200 are like the HW77/97 but are a tad nicer in their fit & finish from what I understand. Diana's are generally decent in fit & finish but lean towards slightly higher power levels with their magnum class springers, downside (sometimes) being added weight. Then you have other brands like Gamo, Crosman/Beji, Hatsan and etc. that can perform anywhere from mediocre at best to excellent depending on luck and/or skill, generally they have some to be desired in the fit & finish department but you get what you pay for, I guess. Best I can say is to pick one model that tickles your fancy and use it for a while. You'll figure out what you do and don't like, then buy another that you think will be better suited if the need arises. Repeat as needed 😁

Reactions: Peepskp and BABz58
Was just shooting 10m on irons , cphp 22 with the ol'whamo gamo.. 5 shots

View attachment 489945

View attachment 489944
I guess good enough for sub 200$
Walmart.?

Then I posted that 50y the other day..

Oh come on Hateful! Let's kick up some dirt! Don't you want to have fun anymore?

A digital shooting match sounded fun to me. We seemed to be the perfect opponents. Cheap springers, iron sights and attitudes. We could take that $h!t on the road bro!

If you don't want a shooting match on the forum that's cool. I'll buy one and shoot it myself against a Hatsan. If you say it shoots better I'll believe you.

What model is it? Give me the specs and I'll buy one just like it.

I can't shoot 50 yard groups with a Hatsan anyway. I could put 10 shots within 1.5"-2" on a good day. I figure from your photos you have me beat already. So I'll forfeit the match.

Last edited:
Oh come on Hateful! Let's kick up some dirt! Don't you want to have fun anymore?

If you don't want a shooting match on the forum that's cool. I'll buy one and shoot it myself against a Hatsan. If you say it shoots better I'll believe you.

What model is it? Give me the specs and I'll buy one just like it.

I can't shoot 50 yard groups with a Hatsan anyway. I could put 10 shots within 1.5"-2" on a good day. I figure from your photos you have me beat already. So I'll forfeit the match.
LOL. I like your spirit!

Hello Everyone,

I am planning to sell my FX Dreamline GRS w/ Falcon x50FT scope and accessories to purchase a more traditional springer type air rifle. The reason for selling is just due to the PCP platform in general requiring more gizmos and gadgets to use and use well. Firstly, I am looking for something that has enough power to kill woodchuck sized animals/pests pretty easily. Secondly, something accurate and fun to shoot in my backyard at targets, etc. I live on 3 acres with plenty of room to shoot up to 100 yards or so, although I would not be shooting pest further than 40 yards I'm sure. I do not have a strong preference on caliber but have plenty of .22 pellets..

I have looked at many options in the past and did my research but have been out of the hobby for about a year and don't know what is new in this category so figured this is a good place to start. I also need 10 posts before I can sell my PCP so I might as well get crackin. I have considered the Diana Airking 54, Hatsan 135, TX200, and Weihrauch's various offerings. I will likely get a fixed or lower variable mag scope that excels in target acquisition for hunting purposes.

Thanks for any insight!
Welcome from a fellow Cheesehead!

You will receive good advice here. And many great options.
Like a Pringle’s. You can’t have Just 1 lol

Hello Everyone,

I have looked at many options in the past and did my research but have been out of the hobby for about a year and don't know what is new in this category so figured this is a good place to start. I also need 10 posts before I can sell my PCP so I might as well get crackin. I have considered the Diana Airking 54, Hatsan 135, TX200, and Weihrauch's various offerings. I will likely get a fixed or lower variable mag scope that excels in target acquisition for hunting
Hello Everyone,

Thanks for any insight!
Can’t go wrong with a hw97k in 22 go through krale there only 550 bucks quick shipping to I’ve ordered my 4 weihrauchs through them so far hw30 177 hw50 177 hw95 22 and hw97 in 22 as well I’m a bit more accurate with the 97 with h&n ftt 5.55mm head size it will group under 3/4 at 50 yards every time if I do my part the 95 is just as accurate but much more hold sensitive so my one off best groups are close to the 97

Can’t go wrong with a hw97k in 22 go through krale there only 550 bucks quick shipping to I’ve ordered my 4 weihrauchs through them so far hw30 177 hw50 177 hw95 22 and hw97 in 22 as well I’m a bit more accurate with the 97 with h&n ftt 5.55mm head size it will group under 3/4 at 50 yards every time if I do my part the 95 is just as accurate but much more hold sensitive so my one off best groups are close to the 97

What this guy said.

The HW97k is a freaking hammer.

What does the K signify?
On my HW95n, the N refers to walnut stock.
Not that it makes a world of difference, but thinking the "K" stands for "Karbine" is, I suspect, a cheeky little British invention. In fact, it was Hull Cartridge, our very own UK importer, who first started using it. However, in Weihrauch’s world—the Germans—the "K" actually stands for "Kurtz," which, as it happens, is German for "short," giving a polite nod to the barrel’s rather modest length. So, it seems somewhere along the long we have taken a bit of creative liberty with this one. Karbine sounds sexier too.

So it looks like I am in between the D54 and the hw97k or black line stl. Does the hw require a tune to smooth things out or is pretty great off the shelf? Power adequate to take out woodchucks? Looks like I’d need to purchase sights for it too, any recommendations? I am fine spending some cash to get it right. Thanks again everyone. This forum is great!

Reactions: Paul Be Careful
So it looks like I am in between the D54 and the hw97k or black line stl. Does the hw require a tune to smooth things out or is pretty great off the shelf? Power adequate to take out woodchucks? Looks like I’d need to purchase sights for it too, any recommendations? I am fine spending some cash to get it right. Thanks again everyone. This forum is great!
If you're planning to shoot with open sights, the HW77K is the better choice. It’s essentially the same rifle as the HW97K.

I will second the HW77 for open sights, but get the HW77k. The full size gun is gonna be a challenge for most to shoot without a rest, and the extra barrel yields no tangible gain.

I would feel pretty comfortable using 16 FPE .22 on a woodchuck, hare, or squirrel. You have to make a good shot even with .22 LR, and I’m pretty sure a JSB heavy is gonna pass through any of those on a headshot or broadside chest shot. My HW77 puts JSB heavies through 2+ layers of tin can no problem at 20m.

The Airforce TS1 is a good rear sight choice in the US. In the EU I would say shop around on egun.de for a used Anschutz. But the HW77 comes with its own rear notch sight.

You won’t put many tins through a HW before the mainspring starts breaking. A vortex HO kit would be perfect for you, and it turns the gun into a real competitor in the top levels of Field Target shooting.

Reactions: BABz58
Thank you! I bought this W moderator out of the UK, a deal, leverage and it works! https://www.airgunspares.com/weihrauch15unfweihrauchsilencer12unf.html
Looks similar to my Mod

IMG_1618.jpeg

IMG_1917.jpeg

Reactions: wgd

The HW97's will need to have at least a tins worth of pellets shot to sort of settle in. Initial accuracy should be very good/excellent, but they'll be noticeably twangy (audibly). After they really settle in (two or three pellet tins in) they'll still twang a bit with the factory internals. This bothers some people, but actual performance (group size & velocity) aren't really affected.

A few years back I wanted an HW97 but couldn't decide which way to go (as far as stock & calibre). Ended getting a blue laminate in .22 and the synthetic option (black line?) in .177. Topped them both off with Burris optics and fitted a model specific moderator to the .177 (wasn't truly needed but was already purchased). Both are fantastic shooters, mine still have factory internals. The synthetic stock exceeded my expectations, very rigid and much heavier than I expected. I believe it's formed solid, as in no hollow cavity like many others, but could be mistaken. Any optic that's springer rated will do well on the HW97. People have taken woodchucks at HW97 power levels in both .177 & .22, I haven't tried with either of mine so won't comment.

Reactions: BABz58
I've got the HW97kt in synthetic. I like the stock. It's a bit short. I put a limbsaver pad on it.

The palm swell needs a bit more girth. It's easy to get too far up on the trigger.

The whole rifle is heavy. It's a chunk. Not good for offhand or carrying around.

Great rifle rested or on a bench. Just too heavy for serious hunting unless you have a rest.

The HW95 is every bit as accurate but lighter. So it tends to jump into or off of your shoulder. Bench groups can be wilder because of the jump. The 95 is the better hunting rifle. It's lighter and easier to cock. And held in your hands it just as accurate as the 97k. More accurate. It's easier to hold.

Both are stupid accurate out to 50 yards. It just depends on your style of shooting. If you can shoot off a tripod or rest and don't have to walk far get the HW97KT. If you are mobile and take offhand shots the HW95 is best. Either are fine rifles and will get the job done at reasonable ranges.

• Love
Reactions: Peepskp and BABz58