N/A PCP to Springer Recommendations

Hello Everyone,

I am planning to sell my FX Dreamline GRS w/ Falcon x50FT scope and accessories to purchase a more traditional springer type air rifle. The reason for selling is just due to the PCP platform in general requiring more gizmos and gadgets to use and use well. Firstly, I am looking for something that has enough power to kill woodchuck sized animals/pests pretty easily. Secondly, something accurate and fun to shoot in my backyard at targets, etc. I live on 3 acres with plenty of room to shoot up to 100 yards or so, although I would not be shooting pest further than 40 yards I'm sure. I do not have a strong preference on caliber but have plenty of .22 pellets..

I have looked at many options in the past and did my research but have been out of the hobby for about a year and don't know what is new in this category so figured this is a good place to start. I also need 10 posts before I can sell my PCP so I might as well get crackin. I have considered the Diana Airking 54, Hatsan 135, TX200, and Weihrauch's various offerings. I will likely get a fixed or lower variable mag scope that excels in target acquisition for hunting purposes.

Thanks for any insight!

I took a woodchuck at 30ish yards with my HW95 .22

imagejpeg_0.jpeg

IMG_1916.jpeg

Check midway on a Diana sale that airking can go for under 600$ . Last sale seemed like ,589$ or something ..

No wonder it's now out of stock ..lol. Just got to check on then monthly change over on sale stuff ..

In .177 can't beat a airarms or hw but .22 I like a bit more umph then they offer .. opinion

It looks like you’ve done your research on possible candidates, and I don’t think you can go wrong with any of those in terms of quality and accuracy. You might also want to consider adding an Air Arms Pro-Sport to your list. Personally, I find the best accuracy with springers in the sub-12 FPE power range—for most, even sub-11 FPE—but I’m sure plenty of other shooters would disagree with that! We don’t have woodchucks out here, so I can’t say what it takes to deal with them. Whatever you choose, finding that PCP-like precision will be a learning curve, not so much for the rifle, but for you. If you persevere, though, you’ll find that springers can be just as accurate as anything else in the same power range.

Thanks for the replies already! I am afraid if I get something in the sub 12fpe category I will eventually want something more powerful. I really don't have a great grasp of how much power is necessary and at what point accuracy suffers. For instance, regarding .22 cal, I remember people saying that 800-900 FPS was the sweet spot for accuracy. Any thoughts on this and what the sweet spot would be for .22 or .25?

Reactions: Paul Be Careful
I'm shooting about 670fps at 4000 ft. altitude with an HW95. About 715 with a Hatsan 95. Either will kill small varmints at 40-50 yards. Both in 22.

I have a Diana 34 in 22 that shoots about 700fps. I shot completely through an unopened can of ranch style beans at 75 yards.

So if you hit them in the shoulder or brain almost any 22 springer will do the job out to 50.

800-900 fps is way too fast. But your rifle might advertise that. With appropriate weight lead pellets they shoot slower than what they advertise.

Accuracy is great with these guns. Plenty for pesting. They take practice. Once you master the spring jump you can hit amazingly well out to 50.

Last edited:
Hello Everyone,

I am planning to sell my FX Dreamline GRS w/ Falcon x50FT scope and accessories to purchase a more traditional springer type air rifle. The reason for selling is just due to the PCP platform in general requiring more gizmos and gadgets to use and use well. Firstly, I am looking for something that has enough power to kill woodchuck sized animals/pests pretty easily. Secondly, something accurate and fun to shoot in my backyard at targets, etc. I live on 3 acres with plenty of room to shoot up to 100 yards or so, although I would not be shooting pest further than 40 yards I'm sure. I do not have a strong preference on caliber but have plenty of .22 pellets..

I have looked at many options in the past and did my research but have been out of the hobby for about a year and don't know what is new in this category so figured this is a good place to start. I also need 10 posts before I can sell my PCP so I might as well get crackin. I have considered the Diana Airking 54, Hatsan 135, TX200, and Weihrauch's various offerings. I will likely get a fixed or lower variable mag scope that excels in target acquisition for hunting purposes.

Thanks for any insight!
not much changed in a year with springers But reading your post i would say the Diana Air king would be at the top of the heap . It is a bunch of power and in .22 a real pester and i believe a pound or three more FPE than a Tx200 .Diana 54 is also a recoil less (as in not as much / very small amount) gun . Yes i do own one in .177 .
Stan in KY .

I don't shoot a "tuned" gun. I use a stock spring and seal.

Yes the shot cycle is better on a tuned rifle. Yes it is easier to control jump and shoot more accurately.

It shoots fine to me. I'm shooting 15 rounds into a half inch hole at 25 yards. So it's all a matter of preference.

I'll polish it up inside and put a vortek kit in it when the spring breaks (again). But until then it suits me fine.

The Hatsan is a kicker. Just like shaking a bucket of bolts. It NEEDS a tune. Still it will shoot 3/4" holes at 25 with very few "flyers".

Some guys just have to have a tune. Some really need a tune. Some guys want a tune. Some can't carry a tune.

It makes them smoother and quieter. If you are having trouble mastering spring jump it will help a lot in accuracy. It just takes the corners off a jumpy shot cycle and gets more uniform velocities.

Thanks for the replies already! I am afraid if I get something in the sub 12fpe category I will eventually want something more powerful. I really don't have a great grasp of how much power is necessary and at what point accuracy suffers. For instance, regarding .22 cal, I remember people saying that 800-900 FPS was the sweet spot for accuracy. Any thoughts on this and what the sweet spot would be for .22 or .25?
I’ve noticed, and it could just be down to my own skills, that when you push past 12fpe, accuracy starts to go a bit wonky. The recoil and shot cycle get harsher, which doesn’t do any favours for precision. I regularly take on pigeons, corvids, and squirrels at 70-80 yards with my HW97K in .177 at 11.8fpe, and it’s still got more than enough power at that range for a clean kill. I’m out there pretty much daily (when the weather’s calm enough), and I find it’s the sweet spot for consistency and accuracy. But I also get that some of you might prefer more power, and I totally respect that.

@Bedrock Bob , do you have tuning work done on your HW? I got really close to buying one and was told they are even better with tuning work done. Just wondering if you do and if it is worth it. Thanks!

Full disclosure I have a tuned Diana 34 that's just sweet. I love it. It's better tuned. So I'm not knocking tuned springers at all. It was well worth the money.

I won't do it on a Hatsan and I just haven't done it yet on the HW's.

If you are considering tuning or modifying anything get a quality platform. An HW or Diana (to name a few) are well worth the investment.

Do you guys think going down the route of a more refined TX200, Pro Sport, HW etc would be a better bet than the raw power of the Hatsan with a tune? I am hesitant only do to the cost and want to understand what the investment means in reality.
There is NO comparison of a Hatsan to a Quality gun , like TX200 or Diana or HW .

Do you guys think going down the route of a more refined TX200, Pro Sport, HW etc would be a better bet than the raw power of the Hatsan with a tune? I am hesitant only do to the cost and want to understand what the investment means in reality.
My gamo sorely out shoots the hatsan 95 . The hatsan is ok I guess but ... My hatsan 25sc pistol does darn good .

Also what I feel for me what hurts hatsan bad now is they went all QE on stuff that use to have real barrels but funny outside the USA you can still get guns of there's with real solid barrels .. I guess we here don't deserve that anymore .. lol.. so haysan and there QE only USA policy fell well out of favor with me / NO SALE..

Reactions: BABz58