HW/Weihrauch Peeps Open My Eyes

I thought I had some limited experience with peep sights, but mostly because of the battle rifles I used during my Army career. But recently a member here (Beard Of Grayling) got interested in improving the Williams Foolproof Sight by designing and crafting an extension, iris and sunshade for it. It was never intended to be a production item for profit and only a few were made, which he made available to members. I was one of the lucky ones and it has been a revelation to me how much difference an extension, reduced iris size and sunshade can make.

Here it is on my HW30S, which I just bought when I knew I was going to get the package from him.
IMG_0853.jpg

As I said, only a few were produced or I would buy a few more for some other rifles. So, I turned to the internet shopping pages and was reminded how very expensive target aperture sights are. This brings up a few questions for those with the knowledge and experience I lack:

1. What is the sweet spot financially, where you are not wasting money on junk, but are getting a reasonably good aperture sight (that includes an extension, sunshade and adjustable or changeable iris, and that can be mounted on 11mm dovetails)?

2. What exactly is it that accounts for the high price of these things? I assume precise, reliable, repeatable and accurate adjustments for elevation and windage accounts for part, but I just shoot at 10 meter bullseye targets in my back yard and will only set them once for zero. So, what else makes them worth so much money?

Thanks for any education you are willing to give me (and thanks again to bog).

Thank you sjs. It’s appreciative members like you that were the driving force needed for me to make some extensions up. The eye shade and small iris really do make a huge difference to the Williams sight. Especially for target/plinking. Don’t think you will find a better/cheaper sight than this. Not many to pick from is partially why they are pricey. But the popularity for the diopter/peep sight is growing. Maybe more options will become available. Hopefully not China made versions. I think the Williams is still U.S made. Thank you for your kind words.

Peeps are definetly a tremendous upgrade over the leaf type rear sights. I actually have more fun and find them easier to shoot with at my usual close to mid range airgun shooting. I have one of the early Williams/Beeman peeps on my cicra 1975 FWB 124. I probably got that sight sometime in early 76, and finally replaced it with a Beeman scope about 1980, and eventually about three years ago put the peep sight back on. I find it quicker and easier to shoot with especially shooting offhand. I admit a scope from the bench is more accurate and precise for most applications. I also have a pure target gun, a FWB 300s which still sports the factory aperture. My aperture sights have been upgraded to use the Gehmann adjustable diopters, which allow for instant sizing of the diopter hole to adjust for varying light conditions. Not really counting, but I think peeps outnumber scopes on my airguns by a 2:1 ratio maybe a little better, rimfire and centerfire rifles are similar.

I will be 78 at the end of the month. I was nearsighted until cataract surgery a couple of years ago, now 20:20 at distance but need glasses for close up. Strange thing was and is that I can shoot any kind of iron sight rather well. I will be the first to admit that peep sights are much easier to shoot well than leaf type rear sights.

I first played with peep sights probably about 65 years ago making several sets for a daisy bb gun so I could adjust elevation for long distances, worked fairly well. Not really target shooting but I made some where I could consistantly drop a bb into a fair sized water puddle about a city block away. Next was when I got on the ROTC smallbore rifle team in college and was quickly introduced to a Redfield international aperture sight. I then got a Lyman peep and put on my Marlin 39a and my father who had never shot with one liked it so well that he got one for his Marlin 336. Nowdays other most of my airguns have Anschutz match type sights mounted.

Last edited:
Hm, I'm relatively new to peep sights as well. I always knew of their advantages, but only in the past few years ever put one on a gun. (HW50S) I've been tempted to try some other diopters, but have not as of yet. The shade is an interesting addition.
Just in case of interest, I posted the Williams “Eyeshade ONLY“ in the classified. The shade makes to much a difference to me not to offer it to everyone.

Last edited:
Very nice. Great work BoG. Just put a Williams on my MK1 HW77 this morning. Good stuff. She, a lot of it is materials, design, and precision if you’re talking about a more affordable Williams vs a Gehmann or something. Smaller adjustments possible on the Gehmann. Designed to be ultra precise for 10M target rifles. For most mere mortals we’ll never notice the difference. Whether it’s a waste of money is up to you. If you use it and enjoy it and the price doesn’t give you heartburn, not a waste IMO.

lets look at why they are so expensive and i am talking Diopter sights
first of all that is what people have been paying in the sates and so that is the going rate for old used diopters
but if you went to Egun in Germany for would find the prices are half or less, of course the shipping bites you but deals can be had
diopters for the most part give you better head eye placement and also the ability to get an iris that is adjustable and much more
Gehmann is the best place to look for all things target sight related and where to buy is up to you to shop around
the stuff is not cheap but for the most part you will lose very little money down the road at resale if you take care of the bits and pieces
now some sights allow you to put a sunshade on the front of the diopter and also and extension on the rear but not all
some older diopters like the Diana model 60-76-5-75TO1 fit only Diana produces, where as an Anschutz can be use on almost any thing
so, what should you do????
buy a new Gehmann 590 diopter with at least a Gehmann 510 iris and they make extensions, do it once and right and treat as an investment or buy a little of this and that
now i'm sure Mike Driskill will around soon with his opinion but mine is do it once and do it right
now i have a large collection of diopters and so does Mike D, i have over 100 inserts and maybe 8 or 9 globe sights that not in use because i went down that rabbit hole many years ago
so what do you do for a rifle you want to setup for you buy a 40 year old Anschutz for 125.00 or a new Gehmann 590 for 170+or-, it is a 20 click sight and better than you would ever need

as with tool in this hobby and other stuff should be bought and that stuff should be best you can find and more than you what to pay and then you will not go and say i wish i had bought that i
just my opinion nothing more
mike in Washington state

Reactions: sjs and mjb206
lets look at why they are so expensive and i am talking Diopter sights
first of all that is what people have been paying in the sates and so that is the going rate for old used diopters
but if you went to Egun in Germany for would find the prices are half or less, of course the shipping bites you but deals can be had
diopters for the most part give you better head eye placement and also the ability to get an iris that is adjustable and much more
Gehmann is the best place to look for all things target sight related and where to buy is up to you to shop around
the stuff is not cheap but for the most part you will lose very little money down the road at resale if you take care of the bits and pieces
now some sights allow you to put a sunshade on the front of the diopter and also and extension on the rear but not all
some older diopters like the Diana model 60-76-5-75TO1 fit only Diana produces, where as an Anschutz can be use on almost any thing
so, what should you do????
buy a new Gehmann 590 diopter with at least a Gehmann 510 iris and they make extensions, do it once and right and treat as an investment or buy a little of this and that
now i'm sure Mike Driskill will around soon with his opinion but mine is do it once and do it right
now i have a large collection of diopters and so does Mike D, i have over 100 inserts and maybe 8 or 9 globe sights that not in use because i went down that rabbit hole many years ago
so what do you do for a rifle you want to setup for you buy a 40 year old Anschutz for 125.00 or a new Gehmann 590 for 170+or-, it is a 20 click sight and better than you would ever need

as with tool in this hobby and other stuff should be bought and that stuff should be best you can find and more than you what to pay and then you will not go and say i wish i had bought that i
just my opinion nothing more
mike in Washington state
The 510 iris is great - and you can get various adaptors to put on different sights. I recently put one on my 835 - attached it to their “March grade” rear sight. and I love it.

(Another mike in Washington state)

Reactions: sjs
The Williams is good for an HW30 if you just want to set it and forget it. An adjustable iris is nice. Just peek in there and put the front sight on the target and bam. And I can hardly use leaf sights at all. Can't focus on them anymore.
I've had a Beeman Williams sport sight on one of my R7's 40 years. No need for the twiddlin' knobs. I never changed it that I can remember. But probably did a time or two.