Pellet trap target

I am inspired by Helmets steam punk target trap thread. So I decided to show off what I shoot at. Please excuse the welding. This was made years ago before I knew how to weld . And it was done in a hurry on a greasy workbench at lunch as quick as I could .

Any how

I use the 5x5 targets on the funnel shaped pellet trap. It’s a nice 20 dollar trap and the target packs are cheep and I can make targets to slide in. But when you start to shoot 200,300 pellets a day the trap takes a beating.

I found a piece of 1/4 inch 4x6 steel box. About six inches. I’m guessing you could get one at a steel yard as scrap end cut. I cut a U shape in the face and hammered the bottom in so it made a 45 deg angle.

Then I welded the little edges that hold the trap funnel to the part that catches the pellets.

Now I can shoot this thing all day and it does not eat through the deflector. It’s 1/4 inch steel. And the funnel gets beat up but I just hammer it back flat and it’s like new.

I drilled the back for a nail hole to hang it . And welded the bottom closed with a loose nut to allow water to drain. To empty it I dump it in a bucket. That way all the lead is collected.

I nailed this to my target board. It is a base with a stand made from wood with what ever spinners I could come up with at ACE.

This whole thing has a handle and I can move it one yard at a time up and down the line for sight in and scope proving. It also has a hole for a wind sock and a clip for holding playing card. Even has a line of holes for wooden matches across the top.

IMG_5994.jpeg

IMG_5997.jpeg

IMG_5995.jpeg

IMG_5991.jpeg

IMG_5990.jpeg

IMG_5989.jpeg

Reactions: Treefrog and Moke
Here my DIY Big Bore Range Lead Trap. This was an old 15 gal compressor tank. Used removed upper portion to double wall thickness. (Chain around edge is because wasn't ordering a custom size.)
Heavy but can roll to any yardage on my private range, handle adjustable for leveling. Just collected 21.5 lbs of my pure lead out of it for recasting.
Filled with rubber mulch(targets actually hold mulch in), 3/8 AR steel is about 11 inches back and haven't hit it, even at 35 yds, with Challenger Elite .457 shooting 300gr slugs at 800fps.
Not sure how much power it can handle but definitely works for me.

20240804_143853.jpg

20240804_132657.jpg

20240804_143900.jpg

20240804_132614.jpg

20240804_144145.jpg

Reactions: Mike_Lenardon
Nice work! Cleaning the paint off first will make for cleaner welds, but if it's strong enough, it's strong enough.

Been thinking about adapting a propane cylinder as a snail-type pellet trap.

Cheers,

J~
Paint was removed,my welding is simply bad, if I can beat with a big hammer and it holds it good enough. My welds only come out good when I lay on back in some awkward position where no one will ever see them...lol
Based off a PB Pistol trap I saw, just made it mobile with what I had on hand

rubber horse mat or something hanging in the chute.
I've read that works well. I've used truck mud flaps in the past, cut vertically most of the way up from the bottom (so they become hanging strips). That way they can sway a bit more, helping to dissipate energy. Use 2 rows, with the cuts offset from each other to greatly reduce the odds of a pellet or slug slipping between strips. I used a scrap, thick aluminum plate in the very back as a backstop.