Diana Pictures added! Help me figure out why someone would destroy a diana 66

Thanks! Good pics and a beautiful rifle. I must say, one of the most unique things posted here in a while! 😁

As seen in the link marflow posted, the front sight is a correct Diana one. The odd front trigger blade just functions as a reach adjuster...you can remove it, or bend it to a more comfy position, if desired. Later model 60's picked up this detail as well.

IMG_3873.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Bedrock Bob
my question to everyone is what is the barrel off of
if it was the Diana barrel they would have left it threaded end
the step down for the front sight looks to be factory but who's
i spent about an hour or more trying to find a barrel that looks like that and came up with nothing
one thing at some points the rifle needs to be cleaned and have all that oil removed, put a toothbrush in play

Thanks! Good pics and a beautiful rifle. As seen in the link marflow posted, the front sight is a correct Diana one. The odd front trigger blade just functions as a reach adjuster...you can remove it, or bend it to a more comfy position, if desired.

I must say, one of the most unique things posted here in a while! 😁
Thanks mike! It's definitely so weird I can't send it back🤣 I can say for certain it's the only "dart gun" in my whole collection, I'm going to buy some .22 darts and see how it shoots....it definitely fits a .22 pellet perfectly, I'm going to do a couple of 10 yard groups with it and see how it does. So would it be of your opinion that someone put a different barrel on the factory breech block? Or do you think that is the original barrel, but has been modified?

my question to everyone is what is the barrel off of
if it was the Diana barrel they would have left it threaded end
the step down for the front sight looks to be factory but who's
i spent about an hour or more trying to find a barrel that looks like that and came up with nothing
one thing at some points the rifle needs to be cleaned and have all that oil removed, put a toothbrush in play
From what I understand it would be VERY hard to change the barrel on the factory breech block, so.....I'm not 100% it's not a factory done job, maybe sent back to the factory and done after purchase? Maybe some sort of prototype or special order? The rifle does date from 1974 which is the first year for the model 66....The work is done so well, I really can't tell. If you or anyone wants to see a specific angle of this rifle, please let me know!

Does anybody think the stock on that gun has a better figure than most D60, 65, 66, as if it might be a "special" order?
Was it made NOT to have a sleeve, the end barrel threads for a sleeve never machined on?
Is the breech block specifically made NOT to have a sleeve?
Factory made specifically for darts airgun???
I'm thinking it might be....I have a model 65 here also that is normal, and without pulling the sleeve off, it looks like not only should it have threads on the end, but looks like the last inch of the barrel towards the breech block should have a step with flat sides on it. This one does not. The rifle is a 1974 which is the first year of the rifle, so maybe a sales sample to shoot darts for potential dealers? The curvature on the crown of the barrel is definitely not as simple as cutting the threads off the barrel, it looks factory. And the bore is so bright,smooth, and shiny, I have a hard time believing it was drilled out, and not done by the factory. I'm gonna start calling it the "riddler 66" as this rifle makes me ask soooo many questions!🤣 I also agree that the woodgrain is exceptional for a model 66.....just another strange thing about this odd gun!

Reactions: MDriskill
Lother Walther shows a smooth bore .22 air rifle barrel in their product line up, but outside of that, NADA comes to light.....

Have you been able to contact Hector in reference to his rifle? A comparison of barrel pics may reveal differences, or perhaps some similarities.
I second this motion! In the thread Chuck linked above, Hector noted his model 65 .22 smoothbore had a Weihrauch barrel. To me that hints the work was done at a professional level, but not at the Diana factory. One way or another...the story behind these must be pretty interesting!

Going to shoot Hector Medina a email tonight and see if he has anything to say about it.....appreciate the replies everyone! Seller doesn't want to give me a partial refund on it, it's all or nothing... so I'm just going to keep it, it's too odd not to!🤣 plus besides the funky barrel thing, it's really a gorgeous rifle otherwise.

This thread has really caught my interest. It’s a detective thriller in wait of an answer. Let’s start by seeing if this thing shoots! Pellets,darts or round balls. Air guns are made to shoot. If it shoots its awesome, if it doesn’t it’s just a boat anchor.
Well I can tell you even though it's a smooth bore....it will one hole jsb hades .22 at 10 yards, so I'd say yeah, it's pretty good! I ordered some darts for it and am going to try when they come in. Factory or not,Whoever did the work did a fantastic job!

Reactions: rokonman
so, does the rear diopter give us a clue, maybe the knobs are in German and if original not a rifle for the States side market and Mike D. can give his opinion
the date on the tube i think tells of little, the stamping on the breech block would tell me that the factory didn't do it as a custom at least maybe
if they used the factory .177 barrel why was the threaded barrel end removed, that seems like an add step that was not needed
so was the gun made up to in shoot smooth bore bell target competitions and if the diopter adds the fact that it was and European rifle where it was first sold maybe

a lot of guessing on my part but maybe some good guessing

Well I can tell you even though it's a smooth bore....it will one hole jsb hades .22 at 10 yards, so I'd say yeah, it's pretty good! I ordered some darts for it and am going to try when they come in. Factory or not,Whoever did the work did a fantastic job!
That's awesome.

Despite the misrepresentation of the rifle, it appears that it has captured your attention enough to offset its oddball nature.
Given that it is not the only example out there of a Diana match rifle set up in this fashion, perhaps @marflow 777 is on the right track with his suppositions above.

I can imagine a very niche market for a smoothbore .22 match rifle, and perhaps some capable and enterprising smith capitalized on it. As far as that goes, it could have been a shop as well, but I would expect some kind of branding to be present if an established business did the work.

Very interesting stuff.

Can someone with a model 66 measure the barrel for me from the breech block to the crown of the barrel? This rifle is really long also, wondering if the barrel is longer then factory.
The models 65 and 66 are the same action in different stocks, so your "normal" 65 should provide this reference.

Historically speaking, the 66 was sort of an accident! There were delays in developing the definitive, fixed-barrel model 75, so the 65 got an updated stock - moving from the classic rounded "Olympia" look, to the angular style so popular in those days - as an interim update to better compete with the FWB 300, Anschutz 250, etc. (model 60 introduced 1963; 65 in 1968; 66 in 1974; 75 in 1977...one assumes the 75 was originally intended for, well, 1975?).

To back this up, both models were imported to the US from about 1969-75 as the "Winchester 333." Most of 'em were 65's, but a few 66's snuck in at the end and they sold the 66 stock as a replacement part.

As beautiful as the wood is on this example is, I doubt it was a special of any kind. A local pal has a similarly jaw-dropping 66, and I've seen others. IMHO this is one area where the 60-series Dianas are underrated by collectors - besides the frequently lovely graining, the overall workmanship and true oil finish are outstanding.

Last edited:
The models 65 and 66 are the same action in different stocks, so your "normal" 65 should provide this reference.

Historically speaking, the 66 was sort of an accident! There were delays in developing the definitive, fixed-barrel model 75, so the 65 got an updated stock - moving from the classic rounded "Olympia" look, to the angular style so popular in those days - as an interim update to better compete with the FWB 300, Anschutz 250, etc. (model 60 introduced 1963; 65 in 1968; 66 in 1974; 75 in 1977...one assumes the 75 was originally intended for, well, 1975?).

To back this up, both models were imported to the US from about 1969-75 as the "Winchester 333." Most of 'em were 65's, but a few 66's snuck in at the end and they sold the 66 stock as a replacement part.

As beautiful as the wood is on this example is, I doubt it was a special of any kind. A local pal has a similarly jaw-dropping 66, and I've seen others. IMHO this is one area where the 60-series Dianas are underrated by collectors - besides the frequently lovely graining, the overall workmanship and true oil finish are outstanding.
Ok so my 65 is MUCH shorter then this rifle, so no way it's the original barrel and modified, it must have been swapped out with another barrel, and had the breech bored out to match...interesting! I just wasn't sure if the 65 and 66 were the same length barrel, thanks for confirming!