Other Pistol shooting

South Korean shooter. Top Olympic shooter.

1722437352494.png

Somethings wrong with this.
Where's her shoulder stock ? She can't shoot this well, without a shoulder stock !

Mike

How does she hit anything holding the pistol up in the air like that? I thought it had to be laying on a sand bag.
The gun doesn't even have a scope.:unsure:
10-meter air pistol competition rules require open sights, and an offhand stance (standing, one-hand hold, no support). No scopes or magnifying lenses permitted. You have to be an actual athlete to be good at it!

I just watched that Turkish shooter Yusuf Dikec. No fancy gear other than his pistol from what I could see. He shot really well. His last shot messed him up.
Many shooters use an adjustable iris for the shooting eye, and a small blinder for the off eye. But some don't. Otherwise, "fancy gear," beyond the gun itself, is not allowed. It's a TOUGH sport.

I'm happy for Mr. Dikec's 15 minutes of fame, and love the attention it's bringing to air pistol. But the people who went gaga over his "casual" appearance kinda betray their ignorance of the sport. This shot is from the 2012 ISSF world championships...

IMG_7441.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: beerthief and MrP
Here's an example of the thing many offhand pistol shooters use - a simple (but not cheap, LOL) glasses frame, to which you mount an iris for the aiming eye, and a small shield to help keep the off-eye open more comfortably. They are very adjustable for a bespoke fit.

Again, no lenses allowed, but the iris's pinhole effect does sharpen your view of the front sight and target. Mr. Dekic is remarkable in not needing one of these In his 50's!

IMG_7442.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Modski66
Many shooters use an adjustable iris for the shooting eye, and a small blinder for the off eye. But some don't. Otherwise, "fancy gear," beyond the gun itself, is not allowed. It's a TOUGH sport.

I'm happy for Mr. Dikec's 15 minutes of fame, and love the attention it's bringing to air pistol. But the people who went gaga over his "casual" appearance mostly betray their ignorance of the sport. This shot is from the 2012 ISSF world championships...

View attachment 485725

@MDriskill Count me as one of the ignorant ones. I know nothing of competitive pistol shooting. The difference in his appearance to others reminds me of guys shooting FT for years with all the fancy gear and a new guy coming who can just plain shoot with a mid-tier rifle and scope. At least in my mind that was a thought. I enjoyed watching the event. I can't shoot an air pistol well, so I respect these highly skilled competitors. I enjoyed the Turk's causal and calm demeanor. It was entertaining to watch. Makes me want to learn more about air pistol shooting.

Reactions: MDriskill
I'm happy for Mr. Dikec's 15 minutes of fame, and love the attention it's bringing to air pistol. But the people who went gaga over his "casual" appearance mostly betray their ignorance of the sport. This shot is from the 2012 ISSF world championships...

View attachment 485725
I think the most casual part of his appearance is just his nonchalance - the rather unadorned "uniform" helps, but he just looks so casual relative to the intensity that is manifest in the other shooters.

GsT

I was in a 10m air pistol regional shooting squad a few years back, the UK Olympic people were recruiting talent for the Tokyo games, so I applied. Never been a sporty type, so it was quite something for me to even consider trying, but it was no surprise when I didn't get any further.

Some months later, we were honoured to host two of the athletes that had been selected to progress to the next stage, I outshot both of them. It would be cynical of me to think that being around thirty years older than them had counted against me in the selection process...

I'm not bitter. 😢

Honest, not really. 🤬