I recently purchased a HW95N in .20cal. The purpose of this particular gun is to practice shooting without a bench or scope. Its fairly light weight and well balanced, easy to shoulder and more accurate than me at the moment. I have a trap setup at 25yards and some 4inch shoot n see's. I am using a Williams peep and Globe with the small circle insert.
I have been shooting from a standing position (unsupported) and keeping all my shots inside the shoot n see grouping about 3inches. I try to take at least 20 shots every day and hope to shrink my groups to about 2inches before extending my target another 10 yards. Any of you shoot like this?

I shoot competition WFTF springers.
So I usually practice kneeling and off hand with my piston rifle, my TX200. It's quite a bit heavier than your HW95. I added about 5 lbs? (maybe it was 3lb...I need to weight this beast) of weight to my rig.

In general, for competition, I was told that heavier is better. I feel there is some truth to that. Because I was shooting a Beeman R10, 20+ years ago in WFTF competition and it was "jumpy".

I'm starting at 20 yards and trying to keep it under 1.5 inches for off hand and 1 inch for kneelers.

Next phase is a big jump to 40 yards and trying to hit a 2 inch washer.

Last edited:
At least 100 shots a day offhand iron sights. I love it. It taught me how to shoot all over again.

It was challenging at first. It was almost work. I wanted to sit down on a rest and hit closer. Now I want to stand up and shoot.

After a couple thousand shots I amazed myself. My trigger timing was infinitely better. My hold was unbelievably steady for standing there like a scarecrow. And range transitions were much easier than shooting off a spot on the crosshair.

Honestly within 50 yards the iron sights are (almost) as good as a scope. A good gun like that with a peep may be better. It's the perfect offhand setup. It's the perfect tool to re learn the fundamentals.

Every shot with a rifle like that standing unsupported is a lesson. A lesson you can't learn any other way. Those lessons translate directly to any other style of shooting.

A guy that has proficiency in the offhand position has practiced an art. It transcends all discussion of speed, caliber, CTC measurements... all that crap we generally discuss.

It's physical, mental and mechanical combined. It's wicked voodoo magic to confidently pick up a gun and make repeated hits offhand.

It's not a shooting position, it is a discipline. And ANY level of proficiency shows a commitment to summoning the rifleman within. That right there is shooting on a higher level no matter how many pellets you toss into the corn.

I dislike Offhand shooting so much that I no longer practice it ... EVER !!
Yet due to perhaps the 55 years or so of being a rifleman something has stuck as to this day my offhand skills ( When I need too ) are quite good IMO.
Given a choice ... say go to KNEELING and said target or quarry is Down !!

Good for you pushing yourself to practice this very hard and often humbling position ... it does pay dividends when you can do so when required (y)

At least 100 shots a day offhand iron sights. I love it. It taught me how to shoot all over again.

It was challenging at first. It was almost work. I wanted to sit down on a rest and hit closer. Now I want to stand up and shoot.

After a couple thousand shots I amazed myself. My trigger timing was infinitely better. My hold was unbelievably steady for standing there like a scarecrow. And range transitions were much easier than shooting off a spot on the crosshair.

Honestly within 50 yards the iron sights are (almost) as good as a scope. A good gun like that with a peep may be better. It's the perfect offhand setup. It's the perfect tool to re learn the fundamentals.

Every shot with a rifle like that standing unsupported is a lesson. A lesson you can't learn any other way. Those lessons translate directly to any other style of shooting.

A guy that has proficiency in the offhand position has practiced an art. It transcends all discussion of speed, caliber, CTC measurements... all that crap we generally discuss.

It's physical, mental and mechanical combined. It's wicked voodoo magic to confidently pick up a gun and make repeated hits offhand.

It's not a shooting position, it is a discipline. And ANY level of proficiency shows a commitment to summoning the rifleman within. That right there is shooting on a higher level no matter how many pellets you toss into the corn.
well put.

Reactions: Bedrock Bob
I dislike Offhand shooting so much that I no longer practice it ... EVER !!
Yet due to perhaps the 55 years or so of being a rifleman something has stuck as to this day my offhand skills ( When I need too ) are quite good IMO.
Given a choice ... say go to KNEELING and said target or quarry is Down !!

Good for you pushing yourself to practice this very hard and often humbling position ... it does pay dividends when you can do so when required (y)
I need to add that (kneeling) too.

Reactions: Motorhead
I have a methodology that I use when coaching people to shoot...

With slingshots, bows and guns I think it's crucial to master the basics - stance, breathing, tension, focus, holding, sighting, breaking/releasing the shot, and follow through at a close distance where errors in form are not masked by errors in aim.

You can't master the basics when you are distracted by trying to hit a target.

I start close - like 10 feet close - and shoot using a small aimpoint (a 1/4" dot) trying for consistency.

Once the basics are learned and groups are consistent I move back a couple of feet and practice until groups are small and consistent again. Earn your distance by moving back a couple of feet at a time.

The idea is to train muscle memory and gain experience with the weapon before challenging the shooter.

Shooting is a mind game, best to hit small targets consistently at close range with confidence rather that hit a large target at longer range occasionally. Distance will come with practice, don't rush it.

Just my 2 cents!

Cheers!

I also practice with an HW95 that has a Williams peep sight. Mine is a .22. I shoot off hand at distances from 10 meters to 50 yards.
I typically shoot standing, kneeling, sitting on the ground, and sitting on my hunting stool.
I also shoot the same positions with my scoped HW95.

1725581427556296693062.jpg

With slingshots, bows and guns I think it's crucial to master the basics - stance, breathing, tension, focus, holding, sighting, breaking/releasing the shot, and follow through at a close distance where errors in form are not masked by errors in aim.

I start close - like 10 feet close - and shoot using a small aimpoint (a 1/4" dot) trying for consistency.

Once the basics are learned and groups are consistent I move back a couple of feet and practice until groups are small and consistent again. Earn your distance by moving back a couple of feet at a time.

The idea is to train muscle memory and gain experience with the weapon before challenging the shooter.

Shooting is a mind game, best to hit small targets consistently at close range with confidence rather that hit a large target at longer range occasionally. Distance will come with practice, don't rush it.

Just my 2 cents!

Cheers!
I'm in no hurry, It's relaxing to me. Good advice thanks

For most of my life my go-to position for a steady shot was sitting. I practiced it constantly. I'd pull my backpack into my lap, hug my knees with my elbows and I was good out to 350.

I could get a rock solid shot off. It worked well on steep hillsides (of which we have many). It keeps you low. Your profile is not human. Its easy to pull over a camoflauged drape. It's the perfect shooting position as long as you don't need to shoot over vegetation.

I can still get into that position and get a few shots off. It's just hard to get back up now.

You can get (almost) benchrest accuracy from the sitting position if you practice and develop the right muscles for it. It's certainly the most stable unsupported natural shooting position for me.

Reactions: Arzrover

Just my 2 cents!

Cheers!
I agree with starting close and the use of small targets. When I am working with 4-year-old and older kids, the goal is to give the kids the skills and confidence to shoot accurately. This stage should eliminate as many of the challenges that affect the outcome they want, which is, hit the target. Shooting should be easy to learn and easy to shoot at close range. Reading many posts, the goal seems to be to inject more challenge into the process as the shooters skills improve. Many times, the kids are not physically able to hold an air pistol up. My goal is to show them that the equipment is accurate, and they have the skills to use the equipment accurately. To demonstrate these 2 concepts, the kids shoot using a sandbag until they have the additional capability to control the pistol without the use of the sandbag. I use laser sights to simplify targeting. When they can see the lasers on the target, the only requirement to an accurately placed shot is to hold the pistol steady, on target and slowly squeeze the trigger. The kids would grow into the rest of the basics needed if they had a good time and come back. This has been a really good post and lots of good comments.

I agree with starting close and the use of small targets. When I am working with 4-year-old and older kids, the goal is to give the kids the skills and confidence to shoot accurately. This stage should eliminate as many of the challenges that affect the outcome they want, which is, hit the target. Shooting should be easy to learn and easy to shoot at close range. Reading many posts, the goal seems to be to inject more challenge into the process as the shooters skills improve. Many times, the kids are not physically able to hold an air pistol up. My goal is to show them that the equipment is accurate, and they have the skills to use the equipment accurately. To demonstrate these 2 concepts, the kids shoot using a sandbag until they have the additional capability to control the pistol without the use of the sandbag. I use laser sights to simplify targeting. When they can see the lasers on the target, the only requirement to an accurately placed shot is to hold the pistol steady, on target and slowly squeeze the trigger. The kids would grow into the rest of the basics needed if they had a good time and come back. This has been a really good post and lots of good comments.
We use a similar approach. 🙂

Most of us were introduced to shooting with basic safety instructions, a demonstration on how to operate the gun and a tin can put up beyond our effective range. Yeah, you can learn to hit the can but it's not the best way and many potential new shooters get frustrated and quit before they develop any proficiency.

With a beginner I try to minimize the challenge. I start a new shooter with the best chance for success - an accurate scoped PCP shooting close targets from a bench rest.

IMHO learning correct form is the most important thing; learning the point of aim to point of impact is the second. I've found that starting close and working your way back as skill increases is the best/quickest way to accurate shooting. Shooting from a bench lets the take their time to setup the shot and see the results.

Once the basics are learned and the shooter is comfortable and confident with the whole process then it's time to "take the training-wheels off the bike" and get into more challenging shooting.

Like me, most of the people here have years (decades actually 😬) of shooting experience. I enjoy coaching new shooters because it forces me to revisit the basics.

Challenging yourself with smaller targets or longer ranges is the best way to improve but it's best learn to walk before you run. Know your effective range.

Cheers!

Until I got into PCP airguns, I only shot open sights. Once I got a PCP, I pretty much was stuck with using a scope. It was novel at first, but I eventually grew to miss open sights enough that I outfitted my Marauder with an aperture sight. I love shooting that gun offhand and practice regularly standing, kneeling, sitting and prone. It feels more like an art, using an aperture rather than a scope.

My son and I were shooting the past couple of nights. The wind has been relentless.

We were shooting with elbows on knees in a lawn chair and couldn't hit anything past 50 yards. It was blowing us and the pellets all over.

We got stuck on a dinosaur at 60 yards. We just couldn't hit it. We decided to stand up and shoot. We immediately started hitting targets again.

The sights were easier to hold on target. The wind didn't bounce you around. Your whole body compensates for it. You move with the wind but you still come across the target smoothly and (fairly) predictably.

Our backs got sore and we sat down. Couldn't hit $hit until the wind calmed at sunset.

Tonight the same thing. It blew for 30 minutes. We hit pretty good offhand. But missed a lot at range sitting down. We both agreed it was easier to time the trigger to the movement standing offhand than sitting triangulated with our elbows on our knees.

As soon as it calmed you could sit and hit smaller targets out farther. The triangulated position was better. But with the wind buffeting you it was easier to stand and let your whole body compensate for the movement.